Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Tablet or light laptop for traveling
  • I travel on my motorcycle alot. I would need something very portable that can handle bmpcc files in davinci resolve. Very short and basic edits and grades for instagram etc. Max 400€ budget! What would you suggest?

Best regards

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • @jagnje

Best idea of you travel a lot and few funds can be ditch bmpcc and raw:-)

Go with H.264 or ProRes route and use any refurbished 4 core notebook with separate Nvidia GPU.

From new things (not within your budget) - https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/17719/xiaomi-mi-notebook-pro-macbook-pro-competition#Item_13

• Well, the Im trying to give the bmpcc a new lease in life and it would be perfect for this intended purpuse, small light, small lenses, great image. I dont need raw for this ofcourse I`ll be recording in prores LT most probably.

The suggested laptop I have already checked out, but it is too big. I have a sports bike, with small side bags and it needs to fit in there so it must be under 13" and even that is cuting it real close. I would use a phone to do this, but I don`t recall any apps being able to edit and grade prores.

• OK, if it is Prores and H.264 only can look for 8550U based laptops.

Will be hard to find proper, as you need used or refurbished.

• How about 13" macs? Older gens, which would work?

• @jagnje

Normal Mac usable for editing is 2-3x of same Windows note. At least this was last time I checked.

• ok... but in the >13" range? I was looking a used mackbooks(1,7Ghz i7, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd) 500€. Prores should work nicely with final cut proxys? What would be better in terms of a windows machine? Thank you for your help! Regards.

• @jagnje

You need to check if such Macs are good and will work as you want. I do not see much problem working with ProRes using Windows.