Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • Nice. What about adding a bit of random color noise, too? :)

• @tonalt that's Vision 800. Almost exactly what I'm using for the rough grain, only sharper (which can be controlled with the options you'll have)

The trick is getting it to move right AND (this is the tricky part) film is back lit, so the grain has this luminescent property, and combined with the medium which is emulsion the matrix of grains creates a softening effect, and that's where I'm trying to get this. It's working in some shots really well, in others not so much.

@seb3000 that was intended. I slowed it down so as not to be as distracting as noise, but to give it that subtle sparkle. There is an option to control the speed, so if you prefer it faster you can turn it back up.

The final problem will be to solve where in the stack to put it. Cuz in the shot with the candles it looks like noise, and that heavy of a crush would squash that in the shadows, but in this case the effect went on last, so it just grains up the shadows.

I'll get it right eventually. Just needed some new eyes, cuz I'm going batty trying to nail this down.

Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 10.50.09 AM.png
    2557 x 1436 - 3M
  • Re: the scopes

I have some serious thinking to do. If I should use it on all my tutorials, or do versions both with and without.

I think you should use them in tutorials .. all educator's have phrases they use over and over.

I would rather here you say "if you don't have 'test gear' then you'll have to open colour finesse", then watch you opening up colour finess repeatedly :)

• A screen grab on my latest short film 'A Day in 1951' using Canis Majoris Night.

01.jpg
    1154 x 649 - 506K
  • I did notice only something that I though was noise.

Would love to see a way to generate grain as there is in Hobo with a Shotgun.

hobo.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • I like the rough grain so far.

What I noticed: To me it looks like the grain is moving a bit slow, like it had a different frame rate than the rest of the footage. Don't know if that is intended or due to the compression (I watched the original MP4).

• really not noticing a difference in the two grains

• Mine neither.

The heavier version is more noticeable but adding the grain alone IMHO doesn't change the character of the footage too my eyes.

But I'm also sure that if I saw it combined with certain film looks it would really make the footage "pop". I'm also sure it might be matter of taste.

Thanks @shian!

• My eye isn't trained enough to spot the improvements, i notice.

• The vimeo compression pretty much kills the grain, so download the MP4 from the vimeo page. And keep in mind it looks spectacular on the ProRes file.

password is: ghrain

This is still a work in progress so any input is welcome.

• Saves me from spending mad dollars on cinegrain I hope.

• Can't wait!

• Coming Soon: Film Emulsion and Grain GHears.

The biggest request I got from day one was a way to get a realistic film grain look. So for those who asked, and for all of us who love that film grain look, I have cracked it.

The biggest problem I noticed with added film grain to video is that it just looks like noise. The kind of noise that you get from underexposed video. So after careful study, and a lot of trial and error, I've found a method that is very subtle and pleasing to the eye.

Now keep in mind, you will take a pretty hefty render hit with this. But the footage just looks beautiful.

• @shian I have some serious thinking to do. If I should use it on all my tutorials, or do versions both with and without

Either way, but I sure hope you include it somehow. I really enjoyed using the demo last night.

• Yeah, they operate just like every other AE window, you can float them or dock them into interface/panels. It's quite awesome. The only thing that pisses me off, is that it's made by Synthetic Aperture (the same company that created Color Finesse) which means Adobe could have easily licensed this and included it with CS5 or CS6, and didn't. Even though they knew we all wanted it.

For CGT users this is huge. If you can afford it.

I have some serious thinking to do. If I should use it on all my tutorials, or do versions both with and without.

• The product homepage has a layout that the scopes panels are nicely integrated into the editor instead of floating.

• FINALLY - Synthetic Aperture did what we asked Adobe to do, but didn't. It's $95 US, but in my opinion; worth it. Real time scopes in AE - WITHOUT the pain in the ass of going into CF.

http://www.synthetic-ap.com/products/tg/index.html

http://www.toolfarm.com/buy/synthetic_aperture_test_gear If you are a Tool Farm member get it for $91.

They appear as floating windows, accessible from the Window heading on your AE menu. Select only the scopes you want, and place them where ever you want. Thanks to @kavadni for the heads up

(they aren't as pretty as the scopes in other programs, but they do what we need them to do.)

Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 6.07.16 PM.png
    2553 x 1433 - 2M
  • @ shian You've done a great thing with CGT. Unlocking the power of AE to give indie artists the same tools/capacities as the bigger budget projects. And doing it in a way that makes the workflow much quicker. Art at the speed of inspiration/thought. Thank you.

• It's always nice to get a little love from EOSHD. A quick CGT grade of some BMD stills just to see what they'd do. Here's the findings http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/76110#Comment_76110

Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 2.22.46 PM.png
    1255 x 728 - 547K
  • Thank you. The Zone System really helped me a lot, and of course thanks to you. I used Sanity patch & I never went beyond ISO800

• @aksel I see a little noise and macroblocking in the 2nd shot - Might be an ISO bug thing. Everything else looks fantastic, great work!

• Hi Everyone

I just finished shooting a short "Before First Sight" yesterday and I couldn't resist to start using the CG for the first time before even starting to edit, these are some frames.

Let me know your thoughts @shian a lot of this is thanks to you

Kev.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    2-Chal.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    3-Sel.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    CelStanding.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Aquarium.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Booutique.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    David_BC.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Erynn.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Marisol.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    MocaCream.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • I watch films these days and find myself thinking . . . "Shian could do that with GHears". In fact, I watched Black Snake Moan the other day and had to check that you didn't work on it, looked so similar to some of your stuff.

• @duartix ColorGHear Film School - lesson #4: Contrast ratios.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions