Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @Mark_the_Harp thanks. That was actually my very first test with ColorGHear, so it's literally just a Gamma fix (the 5D one I believe), Density, Spectral, and the noise remover. I've found that a nice thing to do with Spectral, because it's damn powerful, is to go in an lower the reds and the yellows slightly in order to preserve skin tone. That way you can boost it a little bit more without those crazy uneven faces on your subjects.

• Suggestion here:

Maybe in future upgrades you can figure out a way to create a dockable tab like Stu Maschwitz created for his DVRebelToolkit. I believe that it isn't a true plugin either, but it's got a nifty "button" interface and the option of making it a tab is nice also.

Haven't had much of a chance to shoot anything to try it out, but I'm hoping to get something done this weekend. Thanks so much for creating such a helpful and professionally functional tool for color grading!

• That's true! If you colud make the ColorGHear in the way that DVRebelToolkit is done that would be awesome! I don't think its a true plugin too.

• That was the plan, all along. It may take having to hire someone to script it, but it was always my intent to give it an interface at some point.

• @dsavage have you tried Automatic Duck? It's free, there's a link to it on the ColorGHear site in Helpful Links.

• Alright, this is my last comparison shot because I'm not getting any work done today with a head full of color grading. Went the super stylized route on this one. Again, @shian epic work.

Ocean Raw.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Ocean ColorGHear.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @shian Unfortunately, Automatic Duck does not support Premiere Pro. However, in trying to find a workaround, I did find out that the makers of Automatic Duck were recently hired by Adobe and a fix is likely with CS6. Still looking for a solution in the meantime. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

• @magnus387 That's incredible! You know we all want to know what GHears you used :)

• if you can export an xml from Premiere, there's a good chance Auto Duck for AE will read it. It's worth at least trying.

• @shian That totally makes sense to me too! But I tried it, and for whatever reason Automatic Duck in AE will not recognize a Premiere Pro sequence. I might try using an AE script to detect scene changes and split my video into layers that way. But any time I want to change an edit, I'll have to export another version of the video from Premiere. If Adobe's Dynamic Link would recognize multicam, this wouldn't be an issue. Hopefully they'll fix it in CS6.

• @dsavage , I started with the 5D gamma correction, then Density, Spectral Enhancer (with everything set to zero except for the Yellows, which were bumped up considerably), then Crush, and then I went back to the 5D gamma correction and played with the Curves in order to preserve the highlights in this very Contrasty scene. Finished up by applying about 40% on the Grainkiller. Cheers!

• @magnus387 Thanks for sharing

• Based on my recent experience from playing with DNG profiles on GH2's photo (not video frame), here's what I found out.

The highlights tend to have more bluish color. The midtones tend to have a bit of washed out look. The shadows tend to have more greenish color.

I think I've seen similar behavior from GH2's MTS original clips.

Questions to @shian:

How to boost overall color in midtones?

How to suppress blue color in highlights?

How to suppress green color in shadows?

Thanks!!!

• @ stonebat curves are your friend ;-)

• @jpbturbo that's right. hehe. curves are friends and levels are cousins. thx.

• Actually, @stonebat ColorFist will take care of all of that more quickly and accurately.

• I'll try and make a preset for ColorFist, that handles that, but since you are the one seeing it, maybe you could make one and share it with the group, just load your stills into AFX, add to timeline and make your corrections. Save animation preset to custom folder, go find the ffx file, zip it up and upload.

• That's right. ColorFist. Let me try that in this weekend.

• @spirit Canon WD-58H http://www.adorama.com/CAWD58.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

since the GH2 has a 2x crop factor, you really need a .5 to get all of your FOV back, but .7 gets you over half of it back. It makes a 50mm a 35mm, makes a 28mm a 20mm, and a 20mm a 14mm. I bought mine years ago to use on my old fixed lens PD150, and just had it lying around, went and got a 52-58mm step up ring, and mounted it. Thought it might create a ton of distortion, but it doesn't - no fish-eye effect. I use it on almost everything. Over half of my reel was shot with it, and everything in "Strictly GH2" was shot with it. (had to get a 46-58 step-up ring for the pancake lens, but still getting the same results. And on the 14-42 zoomed all the way out, there's some vignetting, but hey' it's a 10mm lens at that point)

• @shian, how is the edge to edge sharpness on it, any issues at wider apertures? Looks like a nice piece of kit!

• @Oedipax decent, the only time it's ever a problem is with the 50 wide open, but everybody has that problem.

• LR4(beta) now allowing more "grading" options for video, wonder if this is using a 32 bit engine for colour too like AE? Would it be possible to offer your plug-ins for LR4?

• @shian: any chance for a high iso banding fix ghear? I know somebody had a work-around for AE for this problem.. Could be handy. If I have the time I could look into it, but I'm guessing you'd figure it out faster!

• @shian I downloaded Colorghear and I am following the tutorials: everything is OK and very interesting so far. Only one thing: please try to speak a little slower and clearer, not everyone is english mother tongue!

• @Nino_Ilacqua sorry, I do have a tendency to mumble.

@RRRR after i finish shooting on the new short on Friday, I'll get back into development and new Tutorials.

Hope to have Legacy support this week. Been hard to find time to to do it while test shooting for this new project.

***Discoveries this week - the EOSHD's Roadrunner patch is unusable for what we're trying to do (Blade Runner-esque noir type lighting with heavy crush in post). Data rate hovers about 25Mb/s, and when shooting haze/smoke it produces a TON of noise and Artifacting, and the data rate drops to 14. Quantum v5 is noisy at anything short of - 2/3 EV. The data rate comes in at a consistent at 149Mb/s but won't span on my San Disk 32GB 95 card. We've settled on shooting Q v2 which hovers around 88Mb/s, spans just fine, and produces a smooth fine grain even at -2 EV.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions