Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @shian I tried to mimic a couple of simple presets from CGT, but PP can't save a preset for multiple effects. Arrrrrgggg

For simple grading, I'd use PP. Change curve, level, 3-way color corrector on adjustment layer. Export. Done. PP renders much faster than AE.

For more complex grading, I'd edit in PP without any color effect, import the project from AE, and use CGT. My impression is that CGT can't be a final product. Just initial settings. Basically... it's about using AE as color grading tool regardless of CGT. AE is a pretty cool tool... except the aging Color Finesse 3.

When importing PP project from AE fails, I guess I must export from PP then import the file from AE. Can you please recommend export setting from PP for the case? Thanks.

• @stonebat it's pretty slow going. I have to essentially build each GHear by hand, and find way to do things in those other programs that match the AE version so there's some semblance of conformity between using a Dense Night in AE and using it in PP or Resolve. While the initial toolkit took me years to develop, the actual GHear creation took me almost 2 months of building, testing and tweaking, and was at a time, when I had absolutely nothing going on. Now, every time I finish a gig, and sit down to work on the PP and Resolve versions, or the tutorials, the phone rings. It's like the work equivalent of hopping in the shower.

• @kazuo that's awesome, dude. Excellent work. Very proud to have been involved, even if indirectly.

I don't know if you guys can understand how it feels to create something that is being used all over the world like this - I've seen videos graded with CGT from France, Turkey, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Amsterdam, Japan, Singapore, Australia, Germany, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, UK, USA, Argentina, and Brazil (and I'm sure I missed a few). It's quite humbling. It never occurred to me that something like this would happen. I never even dreamed that CGT would have this kind of an impact.

If we consider that ColorGHear is my little brainchild, then thank you, all of you for giving me an amazing Father's Day Gift.

(I now have to go share this on fb)

• @shian @peternap @Aksel @Mark_the_Harp @MarkV Oh, guys, thanks a lot! Your opinion is important for me. @Mark_the_Harp that create in post, in AE. ^_^ @MarkV oh, yeah. I'm cool stedycam guy :Р

• @kazuo I like the humour. and it was also a good "watch" from beginning to end. Nice sound levels and easy to listen to, in what must have been difficult acoustics. This sort of film is REALLY difficult to do well, and I'm sure it will do the job for the client and target audience. Thanks for posting!

• @Shian

hey dude, just posted on vimeo a film commissioned by a govt agency. pls have a look. I used ColorGHear for some aspects of the grading. Cheers

• @psywhisper Those awesome cuts from 0:34 - 0:38 totally sold it! Really nice camera movement and editing.

• @artiswar They have real-time display of waveform and vectorscope during result screen playback.

• @psywhisper Very, very cool! Were those lanterns actually different colours near the beginning or where they treated in post? Anyway, loved it!

• @stonebat - How do they handle it differently? Curious.

• @shian Any update on CGT for PP CS6?

AE CS6 is still missing integrated scope viewing of waveform and vector. Launching Color Finesse 3 feels so awkward after learning how FCPX and PP CS6 handle the secondary color correction.

• @psywhisper I love it ;-D

• @psywhisper - that fucking rocks!!!

• Simple colorGHear today!

• Ah artsy. Hehe. There's a quick and easy way to check exposure. Before pressing the record button, enable IA intelligent mode. It will give you just an idea. In-camers auto exposure isn't always right though. Look at the histogram and try to mimic it... or change it to your liking. Most of the time I don't deviate too much from the automatic setting. Me vs Machine!!

@shian's light meter tutorial is good, too.

• Yea I didn't necessarily mean to put her in the path of the sunlight like that – I was focused on audio more than anything. I didn't think it ruined it though; I thought it might look... uh... "artsy".

• Kinda looking a tad bit overblown. Intentional?

• That's awesome man... wow, what a coincidence!

• BTW, I LOVE Sara Bareilles!! I've known her for like 6 years, now - since she was playing clubs here in LA, and on top of being an amazing singer/songwriter, she's one of the funniest people on earth.

• Haven't had much experience or opportunity with ColorGHear yet, but I did just do this recently. Thought it might be cool to see the comparison of without ColorGhear and with ColorGhear on a simple little video.

Not Graded:

Password: nograde

Graded (somewhat light):

• @shian - You're a brilliant man.

• lmao sorry didn't have my glasses on.

• @eddieblake discounted not discontinued.

• Forgive my newb question, I just found this thread, and went to your site. Why does the toolkit have discontinued beside it?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions