Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic EVA1, like in WALL-E, S35 Camera

Specs

• APS-C 35mm 5.7K sensor
    • Dual Native ISO
    • Electronic Image Stabilization (no real stabilizer)
    • Canon EF mount
    • V-Log / V-Gamut
    • IR Cut filter
    • 2K at 240fps
    • records 4K 10bit
    • 4K 60fps at 422 10bit, up to 400Mbit
    • ND filter at 2/4/6 stops
    • 5.7K raw output using future update.
    • Two XLR inputs
    • Dual SD cards
    • SDI, HDMI outputs
    • 2.64lbs
    • 6.69" x 5.31" x 5.23"
    • $7999 price
    • Available - Fall 2017

Note that we will have online realtime report from press event on PV telegram channel at https://t.me/personal_view , make sure to join!

Also will make separate interview, make sure to post here questions you have.

sample418.jpg
    713 x 551 - 51K
    sample419.jpg
    683 x 542 - 51K
  • 190 Replies sorted by
  • One of the best reels I have ever seen so far from the EVA1

• Our NAB 2019 interview

• Good stuff! In terms of ergonomics we use a Zacuto rig and stabilised lenses for shoulder mount shooting, really helps and is well designed (still overpriced in my opinion!) Looking to upgrade our B Cam but for the time being the GH4 with Vlog cuts very well with the EVA Log footage, I imagine the GH5 image fits even better?

• Thank you @tubefingers ! I am loving it too, in my case up from the GH5 and A7s (still using the GH5 alongside the Eva1). I've been pro-DSLR for a long time and only begrudgingly went looking in this 'sub-10k cinema camera range' initially...I'm glad I did, I love the imagine and the ergonomics with the way I have it setup. I still love the GH5, too, but I would argue for a lot of productions the value of 'stepping up' and I would put Eva1 ahead of the Fs7, C200 and Ursa Mini for sure.

Episode 2:

• Looking good! How you finding the EVA? Had ours for about a year now and loving this cam! BIG step up from the AF101 we used previously

• I keep meaning to make some videos about the Eva1 and why as a die-hard DSLR guy I decided to get one and how its handled shooting around the world for the last 10 months. Meanwhile, the first episode of our vacation rental themed travel show is live if anyone would like to take a look:

It is Eva1 Acam, GH5 Bcam, mix of Lumix, Old Nikon Primes and a Rokinon 14 on the glass side. Cut in FCPX, 2 person crew one host. Season will be Bali - Montevideo - Park City - St. John - Lisbon - Rio de Janeiro - Lindsborg, Kansas - Budapest - Bowen Island (Canada ) - New Orleans. 1 a week for next 9 weeks.

I've been having so much trouble making a video I like about the Eva1 and 'real cameras' and mirrorless and what not that the way I've gotten the talking points down is to make it specifically addressed to the PV community. I'm writing this from a car in the desert in Peru on a different job, but hoping things will settle down next week home in Panama and I can take a crack at it.

• Free firmware upgrade, EVA 3.0

1. Additional Recording Format
      • 4K/UHD 59p/50p 420_10bit@200Mbps
      • 4K/UHD 29p/25p/23p/24p 420_10bit@150Mbps
    2. IP Live Control
    3. Capturing function (still image [jpg] from video) is added.
    4. While recording or playback on HLG mode, Camera can convert HLG to SDR and then output it.
      This works on LCD/SDI/HDMI respectively.
    5. OSD displays Focusing point. (m/ft switchable) “SDI / HDMI” and “LCD” can be set individually.
    6. Increasing ease of use on system setting Some functions assignable on USER SW
    7. Canon lens “CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S” and EXTENDER can be used in combination.

Improvements

1. SD card setting operability is improved to detect the card correctly.
      • LED lighted as soon as inserting SD card
      • Message modified to encourage reseating SD card
    2. Though in rare cases, some TV monitors couldn’t display the camera HDMI output. It is improved.
    3. Audio menu configuration (CH1/CH2/STEREO/MIX) couldn’t be set to a built-in speaker output. This problem is fixed.
    4. The TIME ZONE information on CLIP was displayed with the plus time difference even if it is the minus time difference at TIME ZONE. This problem is fixed.

• Panasonic just turned the $350 EVA1 Instant Rebate back on through the end of December.

• Need to hassle them in every single interview as to when they'll give us an EVA1 MFT! ;-)

• Ironic to see Panasonic competing with a Canon-mount camcorder against Blackmagic's MFT-mount Pocket Cinema mirrorless camera.

• Our new interview

• AU-EVA1 Promotion – Two FREE 64GB SD Cards

https://na.panasonic.com/ns/248658_Pro_Video_EVA1_Promos_Flyer.pdf

sa5106.jpg
    761 x 567 - 110K
  • What do you like more about the EVA1?

color science. Ever since I owned the FS7 I tried to find a ready-to-edit scene setting which looked similar to graded CineEI. I spent really a lot of time but never achieved what I wanted. EVA1 scene2 is a dream come true. Mostly I don't shoot V-LOG at all. Only 3 fixed white balance presets in CineEI can be very tricky. In the end the FS7 takes much more effort and time to create a pleasing image.

What do you miss about the FS7?

lenses. EF mount with the long flange was a bad decision. The 18-110 is the lens miss most. No speedbooster neither. A second SDI port.

The other points are more week points of the EVA1, not so much sth where the FS7 shines. The display is ridiculous. I am always scared with the fragile SD cards . The codec of the FS7 runs way smoother natively in FCPX even the specs are quite similar. No Slow/Quick user button possible. For the switch of 30p to 60p you have to toggle through menues. 4K 60p internal only Long GOP 150mbs.

but overall the image is priceless.

• What do you like more about the EVA1?

What do you miss about the FS7?

• it has become quiet about this camera. German dealer already started giving discounts (420€ net cash back) >and selling with the Inferno for 6.390€ net. Is that a sign that the EVA-1 has some issue to get into the market?

The FS7 is still pretty dominate. Is a tough market to crack

it's funny. I wrote this in beginning of May and went for a two days test out of curiosity on end of May. After that I bought the EVA1 and sold my FS7. Didn't regret it for a second so far.

• it has become quiet about this camera. German dealer already started giving discounts (420€ net cash back) and selling with the Inferno for 6.390€ net. Is that a sign that the EVA-1 has some issue to get into the market?

The FS7 is still pretty dominate. Is a tough market to crack

I just bought one, which is way outside of my normal DSLR based philosophy, but I'm actually really liking it, and will share some real world tests and thoughts in the weeks to come.

What are your thoughts of it now?

• Music video

• Firmware v2.52-00-0.00

The firmware is improved so that the “CHECK CARD” warning is displayed if there is a difference between the information detected in the card slot and the information inside the SD card when it is inserted in the slot, and the recording won’t be started in error.

Details

When a UHS-II SD card is inserted in the card slot, it may not be correctly detected as UHS-II on occasions (= pushing it for more than one second, etc.). In this case, it is detected as a card with a write speed of less than 400Mbps. So, if the format is set to 4K/UHD 422 All-I 400M and the recording is started, an error will occur in a few minutes and the recording will stop. To address this problem, the specification has been improved as described above.

https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/content/download/EN/ep2main/soft/upgeva1_e.htm

• I just bought one, which is way outside of my normal DSLR based philosophy, but I'm actually really liking it, and will share some real world tests and thoughts in the weeks to come.

• Daytime Shoot along the River Lee Canal system in East London - VLog/100FPS/2K

• Some official videos