Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic EVA1, like in WALL-E, S35 Camera

Specs

• APS-C 35mm 5.7K sensor
    • Dual Native ISO
    • Electronic Image Stabilization (no real stabilizer)
    • Canon EF mount
    • V-Log / V-Gamut
    • IR Cut filter
    • 2K at 240fps
    • records 4K 10bit
    • 4K 60fps at 422 10bit, up to 400Mbit
    • ND filter at 2/4/6 stops
    • 5.7K raw output using future update.
    • Two XLR inputs
    • Dual SD cards
    • SDI, HDMI outputs
    • 2.64lbs
    • 6.69" x 5.31" x 5.23"
    • $7999 price
    • Available - Fall 2017

Note that we will have online realtime report from press event on PV telegram channel at https://t.me/personal_view , make sure to join!

Also will make separate interview, make sure to post here questions you have.

sample418.jpg
    713 x 551 - 51K
    sample419.jpg
    683 x 542 - 51K
  • 190 Replies sorted by
  • Would be great if they had lens mount options.

• Agree. If it's EF only, they are going to have to pull customers away from Canon and Sony to really sell a lot of these, which knowing how loyal Canon people are, I see this as a difficult thing to do even if the specs are great. Would have been more of a sure thing If this was announced pre Fs7/5 and pre C300II. But now those cameras have solid track records - so Panasonic has to compete not only with specs, but with cameras that are well established in the industry. If it's EF mount and swappable to M4/3 then they will also get a lot of customers who have been waiting for the AF100 successor and all those using GH series who might want the larger form factor, built in NDs, etc. Who knows could just be EF mount at a crazy low price with 4k 10 bit 422 for under $6 and they'll sell a boatload, just no where near what they would sell if there was lens mount options.

• @sam_rides_a_mtb I don't know if they would sell a boat-load, but it would be nice to get a serious MFT camera in their lineup (greater dynamic range- better high speed - higher quality incamera recording).

At the very least it would be a sign that they are standing by MFT. Which I am not so sure about.

Or maybe the GH5 "is" the AF100 successor. At least it takes photos too! ;-)

• S35 sensor (from the Varicam LT)
    • EF-mount
    • 14+ stops of DR
    • 4k/1080p 10-bit 4:2:2 recording
    • Possible Prores recording
    • Two XLR inputs
    • SDI/HDMI output
    • Dual SDXC slots
    • Detachable sidegrip and top handle
    • Price: $6500

43rumors specs

• Varicam sensor for $6500 USD? You have my attention! Especially considering the great Samyang primes available.

• If it has prores, it can be successful.

• Still wish it had a exchangeable mount- now that would be really exciting! Panasonic could have come up with a new mount system- start off with adaptors- then slowly introduce lenses. These days a 0mm flange distance seems like a good idea.

• @bannedindv

Why it must be prores? Why not HEVC intra?

• they are not selling well those varicams sooo.....

as i told before, they are using those expensive sensors, and GH5 LSI and some FPGA for extra conectivity.

Good aproach for grate profit.

Well done ¨Panafriend¨

I see all Black magic sells, going down the road if this little monster gives us a good codec implmentation. Canon and Sony have their hardcore fans.

Wont be easy for panasonic, but, those dual gain sensors are something special. Only FS7 can maybe compete on that. But as allways Panafriend knows how to fuck things up and give us something wrong like crap codec.

LETS BE REAL. RAW IS A PAIN IN THE ASS. A good codec not only gives low space, gives you grate color correction and easy offline.online workflow.

• Also, i see here H265. Im with vitaly on this.

• If it's GH5 LSI then it's going to be H265 & H264. 10 bit h265 422 would be fantastic! (Most probably 400 Mbps)

• @vitaliy HEVC intra could be interesting. Depends on ease of use In all the old NLEs many post production shops refuse to upgrade

• @bannedindv

Issue can be only hardware decoders that are still tailored for 420. All else is ready.

Most probably this year GPUs will also add 422 and more support for encoders and decoders.

• Two independent sources have indicated some sort of multi-mount option with no more details than that. Noticed in the preview video, the one area that wasn't really shown was the lens mount... not holding my breath, but if they do go multi-mount/user-interchangeable lens mount, namely EF - M4/3, they will really have a winner here, as I don't think there's any doubt about decent codecs/framerates, connectivity, NDs, etc. @alcomposer - that is an interesting thought in regards to could be a whole new 0mm flange mount and then you just attach the necessary end mount with electronic contacts and all, be it M4/3, EF, Nik, etc. Though thinking more about it, the NDs take up probably at least 5mm so couldnt really be 0mm. Would be crazy to think that maybe the sensor can be moved fore and aft, if even a few mm - essentially allowing a variable flange distance to accommodate different lens/mount combinations.

• I see maybe up too 600mbs and uncompresed video also at 180fps on 8bit FHD.

the real only hope i have here is if its real all intra h265 at 400mbsp or IPB H264 at 400mbps. That is a key factor for quality. Since all intra at 400mbps at 10bit 4:2:2 is not that grate in h264.

Since 10bit is the new fashion put your wishes on proper codec implementation rader than fps. since we have those dual gain sensors the basic problem for my personal view is how gh5 LSI will handel the higher raw dataoutput of the better sensor. But cutting down some extra data would make it.

Maybe and this is maybe, yields on the lythography process are low and dual gain cant be achived on those "bad sensors" andthat can be handeled by GH5 LSI.

eithet way it is shure a move to sell all those waffers that where on contract by the fab to panafriend. So to sell and to sell well panny.

Onother thing. Expect paid software for extra frameratew or quirks like log and more bits.

cheers.

• Wish list: MULTI MOUNT OPTIONS : MFT / PL / EF S35 Varicam Sensor / Dual ISO Up to 4k 60 10 bit 422 Internal 400mbps - V-Log etc Variable ND IBIS dual XLR + mini jack audio input for 4 channels 4k RAW out to external recorders...

• @sam_ride_a_mtb the 0mm flange distance was more of a joke - kind of. However flange distance has become a new battle field - MFT started the ball rolling, then E-mount reduced it even further. If an ND was connected to sensor (where it probably should be) then 0-5mm could be achieved. Which would make it compatible with anything.

Or simply do it the RED way and have a bolt on bracket.

But an open standard (like MFT) for s35 would be great.

• Small reminder that we will have online realtime report from press event on PV telegram channel at https://t.me/personal_view , make sure to join!

• The timing will be interesting in light of the new C200 announcement from Canon. Looking forward to Personal-View's report!

• Yes @bradneffphoto RAW is being thrown about everywhere! Can't wait for hybrid cameras to get on board.

• I think this camera is more about Panasonic reentering the lower and mid range professional market and competing with the C200, C300, and FS7 rather than extending the Varicam line. I think we're going to wind up with something very similar spec-wise to the GH5 but with a new S35 sensor, built in XLR, SDI, timecode (hopefully), ND, and better ergonomics.
    At most I wouldn't expect much more than sightly higher frame rate options and possible RAW output.

sample409.jpg
    800 x 617 - 71K
  • 5.7k sensor / dual ISO / 4K 60p 2k / 240 fos/ infrared / 10bit 422 internal / 400 Mbps / SD cards / EF mount/ IBiS / Raw output / EVA 1!!!!

• Yep, for now on telegram channel. Panasonic post full specs soon.

• Name and design reminds me of

sample417.jpg
    608 x 628 - 80K