Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • Since release all discussion is moving here.

Download link:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh2.html

Info:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/support/en/dsc/fts/win/GH2_eng.pdf

Here is a video demonstrating the V1.1 firmware features:

P.S. Of course all patches will be ported to this firmware with time :-)
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • Record a video in HBR or 720p mode, and then check the properties of the resulting MTS file in VLC. The frame rate of the video will tell you if you have an NTSC or PAL body. You might also try looking at the sticker on the bottom of the camera. My camera says "C US". In any case, hacking with PTool will let you switch the camera between NTSC and PAL modes. Please see the FAQs: http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

AVCHD movie files are stored on the memory card in \PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM.

You cannot change the aspect ratio or resolution of any of the AVCHD modes.

Read the GH2 manual. Read the FAQs here. Post in an appropriate beginners topic.

• HBR test in various programs. VLC seems to treat it like after effects 'interpreting upper field with preserve edges' but interpreting progressive still shows this odd interlaced artefacts but also seems to hold more vertical detail. I'll try out Cake v2. Thanks!

interlace_test.jpg
    1360 x 421 - 296K
  • Try Cake v2. But are you sure you're not experiencing a playback problem? See how the clips look in VLC.

• Can anyone recommend a solid patch for HBR 25 or 30p? I've tried Serenity 4 and am still getting these odd interlaced artefacts natively in premier and after effects with footage interpreted as progressive :S Thanks in advance.

• Thanks! Great to know that this is avoidable. I'll try out some other settings, thanks again.

• Driftwood's settings use frame & field size limits, which will in some cases limit the quality of one field picture more than the other field picture of the same frame, resulting in the kind of field mismatch that you're talking about. Settings that don't use frame limits (or fallback mode) will avoid this.

• This is a very unscientific example attached but I've definitely noticed some nasty interlacing-like lines over HBR more at 25 and 30 fps on Firmware 1.1 using the driftwood quantum patch. Usually present in tight gradients and accentuation with high contrast grades.

Has anyone else noticed these artefacts? I know arvidtp mentions the progressive footage being encoded like in fields. I wondering if this something that could feasibly be corrected in a firmware patch, if not from Panasonic then from this community?

25-30-24_gh2.jpg
    558 x 900 - 91K
  • @arvidtp: Thank you very much for this information!

• @lenuisible: Ah..yes. That was it. I noticed, too, if you use 'S' size, it will be more of a 'Zoom' since the size is smaller. 'M' is less 'zoom' and 'L' is not much at all. Thanks!

@No_SuRReNDEeR: It should work in photo mode now with the 1.1 update. Make sure its JPEG as lenuisible mentioned.

• The Ex. Tele Conv mode is grayed out when i try to shoot stills

you must be shooting RAW ... Only available in JPEG

• @pvjames ex tele is only a video feature. In a photo it would be like cropping the middle out as far as resolution goes. Ex tele just tells the camera ---> use only the part of the sensor you need for HD video which is around 2.3 mega pixels worth...So its not a digital zoom .

• Kind of embarrassed to ask....The Ex. Tele Conv mode is grayed out when i try to shoot stills in Manual mode. But not for video. Is there a setting i need to change? Thanks.

• @sir_danish that may be the case for you, but i for one, if i look closely, do notice little interlacing-like lines in HBR, at least in the 30p NTSC version. What's causing that, I'm pretty sure, is that even though the footage is progressive, panasonic's firmware sends it into the h.264 encoder already tagged as interlaced and therefore the encoder treats the 2 fields as separate images when encoding. When you have a lower bitrate (like the stock bitrates) the normal compression artifacts are significantly different between the two fields and result in every other line being slightly different giving an interlaced-like feel to the image. This is just laziness or something on the part of panasonic because it seems like they should have first encoded HBR footage as progressive (camera already does that for 24H/L) then just simply tagged the stream as interlaced when writing to the card. This is also probably why the HBR image, especially vertically, is not as sharp as the 24p modes. And unfortunately it seems to be hard to get the camera not to error out when shooting HBR at any bitrate high enough to mitigate those compression artifacts. I remember someone said the line artifacts were not there in the HDMI output (because it's not h.264 compressed). But for those of us not about to shell out $$ for an external recorder (or who want to be super mobile), that's not much consolation.

Edit: forgot to mention that 5DtoRGB seems to be able to make the vertical resolution a little better with HBR, as long as you override the input field dominance and tell it to treat the clip as progressive (which unfortunately means you can't use the free version with the batch script because there's no documented option for that control from the command line)

• I think that´s it. As I mentioned, I use Neo Scene and those files play fine with AE. But your rewrapped ones should definitley behave also...normally.

• Hm... That makes sense to me! ;) Maybe this is the answer I was hoping for, thank you. So ClipWrap converts GH2´s progressive 25p footage into files with visibly offset lines, because it thinks, the footage is actually interlaced? Anyway, this effect only appears if I convert the files to ProRes. "Rewrapped" footage looks as it should, but as already mentioned, AE crashes everytime I try to import it.

• Dominant field is probably mixed up. You are combining field 2 from frame 1 and field 1 from frame 2 into one frame.

• I never used ClipWrap but it sounds like you´re actually de-interlacing instead of just rewrapping the footage. If you de-interlace progressive footage you´re bound to get some crazy lines.

• This "25p in 50i wrapper" thing makes me nervous... I now use ClipWrap2 (latest version) to convert my .mts files to ProRes 422. The problem: There are those lines in the footage, that make it look like interlaced, but it is progressive. The lines are there in every player and editing software and seem to be a "feature" of the image. If I just rewrap the mts files with CW, the image looks better and exactly like the original ones, without the lines. The downside: AE crashes, as soon as I import one of the rewrapped .mov files. The files converted to ProRes work fine, no crash, but there are the lines... What am I doing wrong?

• Neo Scene seems to automatically recognize 25p in the HBR files.

I always transcode just because it makes editing so much smoother but in this case I checked the "Maintain source format" since I simply forgot about the 50i wrapper. In AE the original MTS are recognized as 50i and the transcoded files as 25p. Awesome.

• so is PTool v3.64d able to patch GH2's v1.1 now? i guess not yet, right? UPDATE: oh i saw the version update history! GREAT to see =) now i just need good settings again just for people wondering where to find the new ptool able to hack v1.1: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2317/ptool-v3.64d-topic/p1

• @pop24 - very cool work - i was wondering what do you use for stabilization - so smooth...

• Can anybody tell how to roll back to previous firmware 1.0E from 1.1? I've reformatted SD card and put the original GH2__V10.bin on the root folder, turned on and nothing happened. Same thing with the patched GH2__V10.bin that I renamed to GH2__V12.bin Thanks (Edited - found my fault - just to confirm, you can easily go back and forth between versions)

• Is it 2/15/2012 where you are yet?

• @gerald vignetting is not the problem with the hyperprime, its just a effect in the post. @zorba noise reduction is not needed with 3200 iso. the new frmware is much better now