Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • You can't do that manually in FCPX . . .

Sure you can: https://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/forum/topic:249812

• @sdbest yeah - it's "malignant" PsF video - progressive in an interlaced container, but there is nothing in the file that tells the NLE it's progressive, like there is in the output of other cameras. Stupid decision or oversight on the part of panasonic.

Edit: As far as I can tell, it does not matter though in FCP - just set the field dominance to none (in FCP 7 or below) or the Field Dominance Override in the inspector's Info > Settings View (in FCP X) [thanks @Mr_Moore ].

I also learned that once original media is imported you can use JES Extensifier on the original media video files to change the quicktime properties to say its progressive and that works, but seems unnecessary now (see next post by @Mr_Moore and http://vimeo.com/groups/gh1/forumthread:249812 ).

• I just upgraded to Panasonic's v1.1 firmware, and did a quick and dirty test of the HBR format. FCP is telling me that it is interlaced footage. I thought it was supposed to be "[Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 30p (sensor output is 30p) (24Mbps, 16:9)*", but FCP is reporting upper field dominance and a data rate of 17.2 MB/second.

What gives? Inquiring minds would like to know.

• @jvalal Did you upgrade the new firmware?

• Where is the HBR setting in the GH2? I only see the 1080i and 720p?

• @chauncy

The improvement in AF is significant. Not only can you use the entire touch screen for AF but the camera simply Auto Focuses much more accurately. The focus hunting for videos has been significantly reduced for all lenses.

The improvements in still Noise Reduction are significant as well. I am still not convinced that NR in videos is worthwhile. However, I am definitely anxious to test it with hacked bit rates.

25p Definitely will be welcomed by PAL users.

I really want to test how the NR interacts with higher bit rates in the MJPEG 640x480 ETC mode. That mode gives you 4:3 but it also gets a 4.8x crop instead of the the 3.9x crop for the 720p modes. It would also be nice to see if the ISO 5000 and 10000 in video mode are more useful with the v1.1 firmware's noise reduction.

All of these things could turn the GH2 into an outstanding Astrophotography camera. That is something I have always wanted to do with the GH2.

• If it makes autofocusing more effective with lumix lens that's significant. As well as the 25p.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Well personally I think that just adding the version 1.1 upgrades to a hackable camera is the most significant improvement we have seen in a long time. Probably I am alone in that though.

• GH2 with the Magic SLR 12mm/f1.6/25ms Hyperprime and Pancake 20mm f1.7/25ms. Glidecam HD 1000. Firmware 1.1 / HBR Mode /3200 ISO / noise reduction 0

• I would be glad, to get FW 1.1 stable 50 mbps and time limit removal ...

• I'm quite sure that we'll get 25p and I have a mild hope that VK might get into the gamma curves. But please, folks, stay realistic. He can't change it into an Arri Alexa…

• 25p and 'maybe' better NR... (personally I need the 25p for serious PAL work so yeah...)
    But seriously the most 'significant' improvement was cracking the encoder matrix stuff (the way I see it anyway).

• There aint that much more that VK can squeeze out of this camera. reality check.

• I have a feeling that the new V1.1 Ptool will be the most significant improvement we have seen for the GH2 in a long tim.

No, it won't be "the most significant improvement ".

• I have a feeling that the new V1.1 Ptool will be the most significant improvement we have seen for the GH2 in a long tim. I can't wait to use it.

Not rushing VK though. I know he is working hard on it and we all appreciate his efforts.

• @mozes

Interpolating does more to degrade the footage than the hack could ever help. If your eyes saw the v1.1 footage "its not the same anymore ...".

• @Donnie88 v1.0 give 25p to, you just need to interpolate it, and render as progresive
    i just have filmed something with v1.1 but if your eyes have seen the hacked version, its not the same anymore ...

• @Meierhans - I've been using Firmware 1.1 because it gives me 25p - in the mean time, patiently waiting for Vitaly's new hack.

• "i am still talking abouth the UNhacked gh2 v1.0 or 1.1" Then you are absolutly right. But who would use this? ;=)

• If i am correct, de video out sets the hdmi out to 50hz or 60 for ntsc.
    i have a cheap qmedia cam here it shoot in 720p 60fps. there is a option for ntsc or pal, even when choosing pal, it keeps recording in 60fps, so i think for the gh2 its exactly the same, for sofar i can understand it all, i am still talking abouth the UNhacked gh2 v1.0 or 1.1

• @valdi99 Never heard of ntsc file system... ;) In fact the cam does not change the file system when switching region, but somehow it seems to initialize it differently (folders or whatever). This is causing the problems when you switch region and try to record to the same card. So in case you want to switch region in field you will need to carry at least 2 cards with you.

• Yes there was a misunderstanding here because i loaded the firmware 1.1 and found out that PAL/NTSC(50i/60i) can't be switched without hack. So i went back and loaded quantum50 and now i can switch again. Now i just hope that 50i is stable with quantum50 and i can't wait like every other pal users that's doesn't own a pal camera to have 25p!

• i am sorry to go off topic
    this is my last post in this topic, just hoping to get a respons in the beginner topic sone
    this picture belongs in the above topic..

Naamloos.png
    1058 x 57 - 18K