Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @LPowell
    Well, I was talking about the GH2, since this is a GH2 thread ;)
  • @starstuff - "Is there -in theory- a slight possibly to get 4:2:2 or 10-bit (or both) out of any hack...?
    Sure it's possible, and it's been available for quite some time. For 4:2:2 color depth, pick up a GH1 and install the following MJPEG patch:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/184/gh1-blackout-powell-native-24p-patch-v2-
  • Now in risk of repeating myself...
    @Vitaliy_Kiselev, @driftwood and all the others who might know:

Is there -in theory- a slight possibly to get 4:2:2 or 10-bit (or both) out of any hack or is it simply flat out impossible? Or is it too early to tell?

I know this question must annoy but it annoys me that it pops up in my head without any idea if we should hope or not :P
  • No its not mac related ... in pc its the same.
    Try to mix some footage from pure 25p and GH2 and you ll see that timeline needs render.
  • I'm guessing this is a Mac-only Problem, anyways. so back on topic.
  • @toxotis70
    With all such stuff go to
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1677/new-firmware-hbr-mode-mts-converters

Otherwise it'll be hard to find afterwards inside big topic.
  • If anyone wants to help with clipwrap (current version doesn't flag the output as progressive), send some material with new firmware (25p and 25i , 5-10 seconds) to Colin.

This is the mail i received from him...

"We can probably add support for that, but don't have any sample footage to work with. If you'd like to share some with us we can take a look. We'd need a short sample of the 25p content, as well as a short sample of 50i content from the same camera.

If you're willing to send a file, you can use our file submission website:
    http://uploads.divergentmedia.com/submitfile/caseid/4255_brf40sbclg7gp8vc

-Colin"
  • @fatpig... i know, i am doing that already.
    BUT when you have mixed footage from cameras like sony nex - A65-A77 etc, (those cameras record pure progressive 25p) , i have problem.
    The timeline , with mixed material, still needs render .
  • @toxotis:
    Just choose "none" under field priority setting in your NLE. You can set the NLE to interpret the footage as progressive this way. no need for changing the flag.
    HDV 25p worked that way for me for years, no problems at all. smooth editing. just set your timeline to 25p and interpret footage as progressive / set field order to none.
  • Just a note for people who are trying out the new firmware. I tried it out, but decided to go back to the VK hack. I did this by just reinstalling the ptools version I had been using. Everything looked fine when I tried some 1 minute long tests in camera. But it turns out on playback there were weird shimmers and other phenomenon that are hard to describe.

I was able to fix this by reinstalling v10 with ptools, then reinstalling my hack again. So for any professionals trying out the new firmware, but going back to the VK hack (I was using an 88k mps version of Driftwood's Aquamotion), I suggest doing a thorough test with playback before going out on a job.

I can see VK is going to be able to get some great new options here!

Going to click the paypal button again now!
  • Just wait for the new ptools. I am quite sure that _if_possible_ all these issues will be adressed by Vitaly.
  • is there any possibility to change the flag ( i -> p) of the footage in the new firmware with your hack ?
    its really annoying to convert all those clips from interlaced to progressive...
  • @lenuisible
    It just means that update is working in such a way. Hack is not relevant here.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev does the fact that we can freely go from v10/V10-hacked/V11 to each other without problem means Pana changed their attitude toward hack, or it's just that Ptool is more transparent in its last versions, and can't be detected as a hacked firmware ?
  • @rsquires:

your interlacing artefacts do really look like bad spatial deinterlacing of the software (wich of course should be set to off). Are these present in the original mts file or just after processing?
  • sorry too. Looking forward to your patch.
  • Sorry VK....and THx
  • @chef
    @Clermond
    With all the importing and converting talks go to
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/converter-export
    Make a topic, if you want or use suitable existing one.
  • @rsquires: what do you mean FCP X doesnt like the native 25p?
    Did a shot with HBR 25 and 24cinema - both are imported by FCP X. HBR as 1080i and 24cinema as 1080p. But it looks way far better by converting with 5DtoRGB
  • Hi with remux I was able to convert previous .mts files. Now with the new HBR video setting (fcp 5.0.4 and an old powerbook G4 10.5.8) remux will convert but fcp not able to import....
  • @rsquires ... can you tell me what settings exactly did you use in 5D2RGB ?
  • @Vitaliy
    Ole tus cojones!!! Sorry, I'm not able translate to english this spanish friendly phrase!!
  • Do not worry.
    I'll be porting first patches this weekend :-)
  • "The more I look at v1.1, i believe HBR has been deliberetely created by Panny for VK to exploit".
    I'm sure also. Let's go Vitaliy!!
  • The more I look at v1.1, i believe HBR has been deliberetely created by Panny for VK to exploit.