Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GH1 "Lenin" Hack Project Discussion
  • 227 Replies sorted by
  • I tried every variation I could think of, including like Paracarlos changing the numbers on the firmware file. I tried turning version increment patches on/off, tried turning version compare on/off, tried different file names, and even different numbers for the version increment. I feel like unless I'm having a mindblank there's not much else to do on our end.
  • same problem, I tried to save the the new firmware as 1.35 and not update begin .
    Sorry for my bad English.
    y gracias por todo.
  • I never had to do this before (when my camera was hackable previously). Alas I just tried taking a photo and placing the firmware file in the root of the card. Still didn't work. I was under the impression the card had to be formatted for the firmware update anyway?
  • If you hit play button with an empty SD card it logically says that there's nothing to play. Record at least one still image or video onto your card prior to placing there new firmware .bin file.
  • Hey Vitaliy! Thanks for all your efforts. However, I just tried this on my camera and it still says "no valid picture to play" when I attempt to do the firmware hack. Any idea why? Thanks!
  • Does the so called "unhackable" firmware offer any improvements over v1.32, or was it created just to try and stop people from experimenting ?
  • I think he has said Monday. Can't wait to use the full power of my gear.
  • So, is this hack usable yet, or will be out in the next few days. I'm just slightly confused as to what we have to do.
  • hey Vitaliy,
    I just came across your site looking for a patch for the gh1 i just bought and immediately dropped you a tiny amount of compensation for what you are doing. It is great. thank you very much. spassiba! otshjen prikrasnoje! til
  • Prolly the forum "GH13: The GH Firmware Hack" needs to be migrated to here, too?

• We have also http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/117/gh1-firmware-hack-faq
    If anyone want to make really good screencast I'll add it to FAQ.
    PTool FAQ also will be moved here soon.
  • I really want to know about the process. how and what do you do to make all this work.

Do we get regular firmware-upgrade files?
  • Couldn't really pass up a now hackable GH1 body for $299.
  • If the GH1 is capable of doing at least true 24p and way more than 17mbs, why didn't Panasonic do this from the factory and why did they make new ones "unhackable"? I love this cam(for the money I paid), and I'm gonna love it even more come monday, but I'm so angry at Panasonic for what they did. Way to engender brand loyalty guys.

Either way, thanks Vitaliy for doing what should of been done at the factory.
  • Ur right sorry. Nonetheless cool stuff. A lot of food for thought.
  • Guys, you are clearly not on topic.
    Make new one like "Buying cheap GH1 and first lenses for it". This will be the place.
  • I don't know enough to answer that... you should probably have a look on somewhere like dpreview's m4/3 forum, or dvxuser etc... those communities will likely have people who have made such comparisons.

also no need to restrict to olympus..

have a look at Vitaliy's timely new post on the the Nikon 18-70mm.

and the canon FD series are always popular and good value
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/106/lenses-for-canon-fd-mount#Item_12

you should also maybe watch this video from Caleb Pike on buying future-proof lenses...

again, i find with m4/3 that having all these options and having to make these decisions, half the fun of the camera!!! it also teaches me a lot!
  • thanks for the info. The 20mm seems to be floating around $400 most places I guess.

What's really the difference between an official Olympus $170 adapter versus a $30 one?

At this point I'm leaning toward getting the body from Panasonic and just getting an adapter

• oh no, that sucks re the 20mm 1.7 :-(
    There are some places with it in stock though eg

http://www.cometsupply.com/mp/PANASONIC/pm/PANHH020/r/gg/
    http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-h-h020~7PANP0LU.htm

although i have no idea as to the reputation of those sellers.

adapter and legacy lens(es) i just mean getting any old (legacy) SLR lens and finding the corresponding m4/3 adapter. make sure the lens has an aperture control ring though. You'll have to live with no AF / IS (maybe), but generally this is something great about m4/3 - that the whole 'lens' world is open to you...

(adapters generally go for around $30ish? and the legacy glass for as much as ebay says it does on any given day :) )
  • I'd love to get the 20mm 1.7 but it's out of stock at B&H. It's seems to be the lens everybody suggests if you're going to get just one lens for the gh1.

As for the adapter and legacy glass -- are you talking about that special amazon deal with the lens and m4/3 adapter because I can't seem to find that thing on amazon..
  • Do you think it's worth replacing a 2010 model with a 2011 model GH1, to get possibly improved FPN? I only recently bought a 2010 model (because it was hackable) and paid $500 US without lens or battery (yup that's what they're goin for and they go fast)! I don't need two cameras. But I might consider getting a cheaper 2011 model and selling the 2010 model if it's worth it for improved picture. What do you think?
  • i am no expert though... by way of caveat... :)
  • i suppose the question is which lens/es do you want?

advantage to body-only is that no one is dictating which lens you have to buy. If you were going to buy the 14-42mm anyway then why not b&H. the 14-42 is probably the least-liked lumix lens. But It is decent enough (on my unhacked) and autofocuses in video, it is certainly not 'bad'.. but i hardly ever use it :p

if you can deal with not having the range.. save an extra $100 up and get the 20mm 1.7. if you need range, think about adaptor + legacy glass.. prob get more for your $200...