Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Personal View Feature Film Collaborative project
  • 536 Replies sorted by
  • I'm in SLC, Utah. We have some pretty amazing scenery out here, salt flats being one them... If you needed some kind of wide expanse wilderness / desert scene.
  • @lolo I haven't seen "Babel" or "Gonzalez iñarritu", and looking at an overview of "Babel" it looks like it is very relative to the idea so I will try to watch them in the next few days. The films "Crash", "Magnolia", and "Four Rooms" come to mind for me of course they were all based in the same locations. I think that you are definitely on to something with your ideas though.
    -I also think that the stories and the characters themselves didn't necessarily have to be related to each other but the event could be what tied everything together because it changes everything for everyone, and the completely different characters from different walks of lives were all effected by a single event. This is just a thought to help with brain storming so I take no offense if no one is for it.
    -Over all the biggest thing for us to remember and what I have found in making short films with little to non budget is to simplify, the more we simplify the better.
  • Ok, I had this idea for a script:

Headless man (working title)

15 ~10 min short stories where the following parallel stories take place -

In each episode a photography of a headless man figures in post-card size, or inside an envelope which can be recognized as containing the same photo. (same size, similar envelope seen in other episode or whatever - the photo should be easily distinguishable as the same, worn, aged)
    In each episode the lead character finds an object, sort of a ceramics shard piece or something along those lines - it's use unrecognizable by the piece itself - though all objects look like pretty similar.

The events in each short story revolve around time travel or dimension travel (actual, or the want to) - it could be due to topic elements like:

death, sorrow, doing drugs, watching film, swimming, birth, sex, extreme endurance, extreme sports and so on..

In the end the characters gather and assemble the objects they've found - the headless man. Someone takes a photo of it.

---

When I came up the idea I was thinking of a metaphor for this project - I have a weak spot for creations that analyze themselves in some way.
  • @lolo creative commons will do nicely for this sort of thing, I suppose.
  • @thepalalias I probably should have read a little bit more in depth about the locations. As far as the "palette" I completely understand and I agree that it would help it be more unified. I also think that this is a unique situation where it doesn't necessarily have to be unified in that way, as far as what I am reading so far this isn't something that anyone is looking to make money off of so I think it would be nice that each team should be able to shoot however they see fit, some directors like very contrasty gritty looks and others like very smooth and clean looks. I don't think it would be a bad idea to have a unified look to the film but I also feel that it might hinder some people too, I think they should shoot which ever way they can produce their own best work. In this instance I am reminded of "Paris Je T'Aime" each director in the film did their segment in their own style, the difference being that I think it would be nice to have a stronger central idea instead of just the city of Paris as in the film. These are my thoughts. :)
  • I'm in! I got a crew. Ex-employee of Francis Ford Coppola and Sean Penn will direct my side. Very insanely creative. He was a script reader/editor for both of their production companies. I'm in Sacramento, CA! If their is too many Bay Area folks come join me!
  • So far it sounds like a runaway train. So, clarify, any hack, Sean Penn is directing a former Coppola employee in Sacramento, Driftwood has and English crew, 300 script writers from all over they world, including Pasadena? converge in space to develop and epic piece. Who is the main character, perhaps Herman Cain, sociopath liar,
    or the protests taking place around the world. I think there is more of an opportunity, if we view ourselves as world voyeurs and put together something along the line of, OUR VIEW OF A NEW WORLD ORDER. The movie studios put crap in the movie houses such as vampires,war,searches for ones sexuality and other dribble. why not a group effort detailing the demise of the Capitalist Empires, and the pieces being put back together by the 99%.
    Anybody remember Humpty Dumpty. We have pulled it together once, why not do it again.

• @exilenorth lol my friend and coworker worked for Coppola then Sean Penn. He was their script reader and one of the script editors. If this ends up happening we can have him review the script. He knows his stuff.
  • @Exilenorth I don`t personally want to do something political, because I don`t feel it likely that everyone here, in all these different places, randomly happens to share the same political view when so few of the people I work with even share views with each other. :)

@Lolo Yes, my "+1" was an aye. :)
  • Here's an obvious idea for a global community connected by an internet website: a global economic crisis affects the lives around us and our "ways of seeing" life itself in the twenty first century. It's an emotional world within us all and how we FEEL affects how we see what's going on.

Obviously there is more than one crisis at hand. Indeed there are many converging, and whether we are consciously aware of them or not, they are very real. Population explosion. Homelessness. Hunger. Environmental degradation. Global warming. Deforestation. Over fishing. And the list goes on and on…as corporations take over the world and jobs are shipped overseas leaving unemployment to breed anger and despair. Marriages breakdown and associations of all sorts as we take it out on each other…and some violence begun may never end. Some take to the streets with placards of words. Some holler to be heard as others cry alone, in silence.

From many angles the pressures mount and some quietly give way to just mind their own business or do their own thing to find their own peace in this world. Some can't find any peace at all and just seethe when they see their bank statements drained, their debt rising and retirement gone. There's just no saving their savings anymore!

Some pick up a gun. Some grab their guitar. We battle the bad or do better. We create or destroy everyday.

So what unifies the different scenes of our different experiences (however fictional and well felt) could very well be a connection with strangers from around the world. A fictional website, for example, in which something brings them together on a semi-daily basis. Something that allows them to express the need they have to get their personal view out and make it shine. It may not be a pretty picture…but we'll make it move
  • @Reckless I`m not adverse to a variety of styles - I just think they should be suggested and agreed on before they are used, much like the second unit director might discuss things with the first, etc. Autonomy, but with a unified vision. :)
  • Emile Nelson suggested this variation on my idea, but he`s not a member and didn`t want credit (other than "special thanks" if it gets used) so here goes.

-What if it`s not "one" unifying voice, but a voiceover conversation between an older criminal, trying to recall events as he talks with a D.A. or police. The "variations" in style between the segments would serve the purpose of conveying the lack of specificty in his memory, as the police/DA question him about particular details.

So basically, in my own idea, he might be insane or senile. But in Emile`s, he`s a criminal with a bit of a spotty memory, trying to make a deal by spilling the beans on crimes from around the world.

I still like mine, but EMile`s is cool too, so just thought we might want to add it as an option.
  • @Lolo +1

We should just write down something, discuss it, modify it, then vote it. Once we have the subject there must be one or maximum two writers (or it doesn't work) that write the screenplay. Now i'm not understanding much.
  • I'm not fond of doing something directly political, either.. If we go by the device that everything is political then one can choose to see it from such a perspective. In my experience and opinion, a centralized perspective of something political is pretty uninteresting.

(Just an opinion, I don't not intend to clamp down on anyones ideas)
  • Hi @All
    I think the most things are done in an easy way, the most will be easy for everybody to follow the path.
    For ex. everyone has a GH2 hacked rigth? So everyone can provide the "same kinda footage"... But not everyone has the same audio out. So I think a narrating voice over will keep uniform in composition. I mean the more we keep all the features easy, the more we can provide a uniformity in the movie.
    @Elenion I´m down to set up a directing-assisting crew I´m in the Turin,Italy area .
    I´m down also to throw some € in for the cloud storage . I have some close friends that owns a rockabilly- rock´n´roll band and he can easily put some tunes in...
  • Storyline & Concept * ( this story is NOT political but about the people the events are affecting )
    -------------------
    Title: OCCUPY - tagline 'Someones Killing Bankers'

Genre: INSTITUTIONALIZED: The question is whether there is a group with its own rules and norms that the main character is exploring the costs and benefits of membership in — and ultimately deciding whether they want to be a part of it or not. It’s about deciding who they want to be in relationship to it, and the risks and reward of same. Think Full Metal Jacket, Goodfellas, Office Space, The Devil Wears Prada, or Crash.

Style: ITALIAN NEOREALISM

Main Character serves as a narrator telling the history of the 'Occupy' movement just before the days that Bankers became hunted, He tells the stories of heroes and villians that emerged in those days and the global chain reaction ( butterfly effect ) that set off the first of the killings. And true to the Neorealism movement, less about the bankers and more about the working class people effected by these Global Events

-----------------------

I like the idea that this film thats is being done in such a collaborative way , can have a voice or commentary on what is happening collaboratively with the occupy movement. Whether you believe in that movement or not, We are storytellers and should be commenting on this part of our history within our narratives.

-----------------------

I think the community can help present ideas for the outline, but that probably a head writer or showrunner elected who works with a team of writers who are connected with the director teams and locations.

• @lolo I can cover south east of England (inc. London) if any SE GH2 users on personal-view wanna link up - pm me.
    I agree with a one writer script when all ideas are in and put to the vote.
    A deadline date needs to be set if it hasnt been done already.
    I can develop a unique set of patches for all settings, achieving the best quality I can squeeze for ALL settings. We'll call the patches the name of the movie :-)
  • The script should be really good. (not that i know how) Maybe someone here has studied Robert McKee's book?
    If we need some special effects, i have V-Ray experience. But i don't have expensive software like Max, Phoenix FD, Rayfire, .. only Blender :)
    I like any script that involves evil bankers.

@sohus Rotterdam has a most impressive skyline, viewed from the A16.

• # ... nobody follows the guidelines to keep order, perhaps a wiki is better for this, as i will not expend 2hours of every day trying to order the thing
  • #ahhahah and also

i just recieved this warning updating the post

Body is 2711 characters too long.
  • # Headless man and OCCUPY couldn´t be updated
    we should probably make a wiki

@driftwood, about the deadline i agree, for christmas i think we could have our poll to decide wich story will be the one told
  • 1 month just to decide the subject for me seems a little too much.
    With this timing we'd finish the movie in like 3 years. I think that 2 weeks should be enough. Like 10th of december?
    To use Wiki sounds like a great idea.
    I think that every subject should be read and voted by everyone who partecipates in this project with a vote from 0 to 10. The script that obtains the best score it'd be the one. I also think that everyone should have the right to steal from the other's ideas (obviously citing) just to make a better job.
    What do you think?
  • I've just read thru again, this is getting lots of traffic. I agree, we need a wiki.

I was thinking, we could always go with the "wake up in a psych ward and don't remember who I am" start. It's been done to death, I know . . . but you gotta admit, it would lend itself to a disconnection of styles, locations, and supporting characters. Usually, the character discovers in the end that they're way more badass than they thought they were.

Anyone who feels capable of at least laying out a rough sketch of a script should start working on something . . . anyone who knows someone not on PV who would be a good writer should start playing their cards to see if they can get us a good writer.

I think we should probably avoid anything directly political, however I see no problem with the more general theme of "stick-it-to-da-man".

I think we need somewhere other than PV to continue this. Mr. Kiselev is very kind to all here, but we don't want to create too much off topic clutter.

Wherever we move this discussion, we should find somewhere that has the ability to take polls/votes. This will help things move MUCH faster.
  • I agree that there needs to vote on ideas because everyone likes their own ideas including myself, it is the only fair way to go about choosing one. As far as people wanting a script to vote on, I write, I own Mckees' book and I have taken screenwriting classes and I can tell you that it isn't going to happen unless someone has a script already written, It took John August a professional screenwriter 4 months to adopt the screen play for "Big Fish" from the Novel. I use "Big Fish" because it is a globe spanning film with a multitude of different characters similar to our situation and it took him 4 months and the story was already written for him to adapt. I bring this up because I don't necessarily think that there is a clear understanding of the scope of difficulty to have a decent script. What we can expect to have done is just a rough outline. This is why I suggest a central idea or event or any thing along those lines, I believe that every segment should be its own short film that is tied together with the others. I don't mean to sound cynical I am just being a realist, and possibly after we have these individual stories we could have a single writer sit down and try to strengthen the connections.
  • I just registered a Wiki. I haven't done anything with it yet, but here's the link.

http://moviecollab.wikispot.org/