Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Looking for high dynamic range content for HDR experiments
  • Hi, I am looking for some sample video material which I could use to experiment with generating HDR videos compatible with contemporary TVs.

At http://www.demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr one can find only two commercial samples, that's all I could find anywhere.

I have been able to generate videos which my 4k OLED TV recognizes as "HDR" by using:

x265 --preset ultrafast --output-depth 10 --transfer smpte-st-2084 \ --master-display 'G(13200,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1)' \ --max-cll '10000,400' input.y4m output.hevc

ffmpeg -i output.hevc -c copy final.mp4

When replaying "final.mp4", the TV switches into HDR mode, and the content is displayed with what appears to be very high contrast.

I haven't experimented much with the master-display and max-cll settings yet, but this wouldn't make much sense with the input videos that I currently have at hand, which simply are of "low dynamic range", and are only of 8bit per channel accuracy.

If you have some sample video material with a very high dynamic range (like shots of scenery with surfaces emitting 400 or more cd/m^2, like a mixed shot of dimly lit indoor stuff in one place and some brightly sunlit plants visible through a window outside), you could make me happy by making it available (in a format conveying at least 10 bits per color channel).

Actually, anyone with a Magic Lantern patched full frame camera (or an Arri Amira) at hand should easily be able to create such a sample shot.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Look for HDRx demos from RED.

• @nomad: Thanks for the hint, found one, but the .r3d file is of a format that ffmpeg does not recognize yet (bugreport on this).

• There is a free software called RedCine-X for both Mac and PC.