Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Red Scarlet X topic
  • 172 Replies sorted by
  • Having to do your own filtering is the price you pay for free information…
  • @jon

???? where's the trash man? All due respect, it may be in your eyes.
  • http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?67547-Parker-Irvine

Got my wish... you can see these little babies being assembled...

Red boards... ;-)
  • @jon, seriously? I think PV pretty handily has the best signal-to-noise ratio of any of the popular video forums. I can't really even look at the other big ones anymore (although I still try), too much junk, it's just draining.
  • Looks like some more test footage of the scarlet is up...

If this was really recorded @ 1k, I'm impressed.
  • @L1N3ARX, hmm just came across that same footage on Vimeo tagged as GH2 footage. I think the YouTube post is a ripoff since the Vimeo account has other similar videos credited as GH2.

• My experience so far with the Red Scarlet-X is it's
    a pretty amazing engineering feat for $15K or less in early 2012 compared to everything else I've used, and as near to a camera I would design from scratch on a napkin with a checklist, be it RAW, resolution, bit depth, SSD recording and unbelievable expandability.

I am damn impressed. Just have to really love features like :

PL mount, Canon mount, Nikon mount (see link below)
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?73019-A-little-Nikon-Love

Redcode RAW recording ( looking at footage from years ago, color science progress is impressive)
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?72857-REDgamma3-and-REDcolor3-update

Upgradeable 4K sensor to unspecified Dragon sensor in next year, pretty amazing design...

In a world that lately seems content to offer less tech for more money, they have shattered the mold with this product, and unbelievably now made in the USA.

There are also some frustrating cons with constant firmware rebuilds, 60p is not there at 4K, hdmi and hd-sdi scaling issues, low-light performance could be better but is acceptable considering sensor size, ergonomics can be awkward, not happy with some connectors, and reliability should hopefully improve- especially accessories, but once they get all the kinks worked out, I think this product just carved out "THE STANDARD" for what pros expect in a 4K professional cinema camera going forward...

PS: I know, it's a constant work in progress, but they have pretty much shut my mouth from complaining about much aside from being patient about firmware and reliability

• Has anyone tried alternate SSD in red mag to see if Red firmware blocks it ?

• Coming from the production end - hence "buying" cameras is - well...strange - no top - as in the guys who get booked week in and out - camera chaps own a camera or ever would - they turn up push em around have a beer and go home then next day next job - at great expense ! And when DSLR or even c300 etc is mentioned they literally do the oohh shyte look - equally my chums who run post houses, including me missus , hate dlsr, c300 blah etc. due to the budget that's not included by production managers, to make the footage "good" for use e.g. even the Adele last DVD - believe me you can't even imagine what hoops were jumped through for essentially the biggest artist in the world then - (she's actually quite sweet and normal of course)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Nice video find. Really confirms for me that I don't like the C300 look very much. It still looks video-ish to me. Scarlet looks much more like a film-scan.

I mean, the C300 is basically just a XF100 with a large chip... so whatever video-ness that has is surely inherited into the C300 processing.

Hell, the other day the smaller company I was working for had to do a shoot with a C300 or 5DII. We all sat down a watched footage and collectively decided on the 5DII footage. It still looks better, save resolution.

• @bwhitz including me mate, who's directing the opening ceremony for the UK olympics it's madness - and me missus who owns the company that posts most of this stuff - the directors don't care - the prod managers hate it- they'll never use c300 unless they have to etc, and occasionally for Redbull cheapys jobs for example they use 5D etc - there is a gulf between what really happens and the pain (which it is) of incorporating DSLR stuff into productions. There's fook all money for post - and every head camera guy (in the UK anyway) I know - knows that DSLR et al is a push - fact.

• Excited to start shooting with this in August. A friend of mine is directing a feature in August that she wants me to DP.

Does anyone know any good forums or online resources to learn about the scarlet and techniques? I want to learn as much as possible (beyond just reading manuals and testing) that I can.

• @RyanPW if you didn´t know about www.scarletuser.com and www.reduser.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?33-SCARLET you can also find in topics some videodutorials about functions and using the scarlet

• ^ Thanks, was wondering if those were the best resources.

• We are running training for Scarlet (and others) at http://www.english.nordmedia.de/terminmodul/detail/11.html in Hannover during the first week of August – maybe that's helpful. Still a few seats left.

• @nomad

Please, no advertisments in normal topics.

• Sorry, Vitaliy, feel free to remove it.

• @nomad

I'll leave it as it is, just try to post this next time to Marketplace, ok?

• Impressive underwater footage form a Red Scarlet X + Gates Deep Epic Housing with Tokina 10-17mm.