Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Red Scarlet X topic
  • 172 Replies sorted by
  • And here are the specs:
    - It is called Scarlet-X
    - Canon EF mount (PL mount optional)
    - does 50mb/s, 440 mb/s redcode raw
    - Video: 4k @ 30fps, 3k @ 48fps, 2k @ 60fps, 1k @ 120fps
    - Stills: 5k
    - supports autofocus w Canon and Nikon mounts
    - Same weight as Epic
    - Only difference in image between Scarlet and Epic is data rate

Ships: Dec. 1st
    Price: $14k for full package, $9750 body only

Now its waiting for the real live tests and previews.....
  • Epic & Scarlet , exactly same weight...
    Firmware limitation ?
    Hackable ? :-D:-D
  • As much as I hate Red's marketing, could not resist the PLACE DEPOSIT/BUY NOW button.

Funny enough, I still have NO DESIRE to part with my Hacked GH2 as a B Cam...

Cheers to Red for delivering on the goods, 12 bit RED-RAW...
  • this is crazy. i have to give it to red, at this point it looks like they are delivering, and canon just put alot of effort into a major failure. i imagine we are going to see alot of f3's, fs100's and af100's hit the used market. of coarse the gh2 still has a place because for the price nothing out there performs like it. i know ill be keeping mine.
  • lets be real here, do you think RED will be able to keep up with their orders????? or there will be a long waiting list?????
  • I pulled the trigger on the Canon mount package. Red told us to lower our expectations before the announcement to not get dissapointed and then they pulled out a S35mm sized 4K raw camera for under 10K. What can you say...
    Driftwood, did you order the package? Canon mount or PL?
  • http://philipbloom.net/2011/11/04/newcameras/

Oh…the Scarlet- X shoots RAW. As it’s the same chip as the Epic i doubt it will be as good in low light as the Canon C300 but it will be upgradable to the new Dragon chip in 2012. Now it is cheaper than the C300. Is it better? Dunno. Not shot with either. It’s essentially an EPIC light. I love my Epic but have had hideous reliability issues with it. Will RED carry on with having BETA firmware in the Scarlet or will they make it more stable. At the lower price point they are going to ship more so it will need to be. I expect the C300 will be super reliable straight out of the starting block…but one is 1080p internal 50mb’s codec and the other is RAW and shoots 4k…I was never a big believer in the need for 4k and more but owning an EPIC has opened my eyes to the amazing possibilities and flexibility it offers you. Shame it needs a lot of computer processing power to deal with the files unless you but the expensive, but essential RED ROCKET card. Not only do you have re-framing resolution but 4k is future proofing. Like when I shot HD for SD projects a few years back….

The RED ROCKET card is almost $5K... http://www.red.com/products/red-rocket
  • @stonebat Doesn't Adobe CS 5.5 almost makes the Red Rocket obsolete by edit native 4K Red footage on the timeline at whatever scale that works on your system, then export final project...
  • Before you pronounce Canon DOA, keep in mind that most likely the Canon is turn key and the Scarlet is most likely Beta.
  • @nickben i heard RED raw footages look suck straight out of the camera cuz they tend to flat. after post-processing, they'd look great. it's like making a diamond out of a black rock. is the RED ROCKET card necessary for that? no idea.

what GH13 is famous for is the great looking footages straight out of the camera. GH2 is around $800. Prolly one needs to spend roughly 5 times more to have a set of working tools to finish a project. if the Scarlet barebone body is $10K, prolly a total budget for gears should be around $50K... at least.
  • Imagine how much money Canon and Zeiss are going to be making on prime lens packages sold to all these dreamers (...who will now have even less money to spend on good scripts, actors, or production budgets.)

Currently you can find "RED with primes" packages for 60 days at under $10k. Now imagine how cheap we will be able to rent complete Scarlet rigs with prime Zeiss packages next summer... We will soon be seeing people on the side of the roads in Hollywood with cardboard "Will D.P. with Scarlet for food" signs.

Good time to be in the production business!
  • You can edit RED footage with proxies, you don't need the RED card for that. And you also don't need it to grade your footage.
  • Stonebat

4K support

Vegas Pro 11 software natively supports frame sizes up to 4096x4096. The 4K image standard for digital cinema projection is 4096 x 2160 pixels. This level of resolution provides more detail and flexibility to pan and crop. It is ideal for compositing and video effects work, as it provides a high-quality final output. Vegas Pro 11 software also natively supports RED ONE® and RED EPIC® files. Open and edit .r3d files directly on the timeline.
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/images/products/vegaspro11/02-04-plugins.jpg
  • I won't buy any of these camera's. Way overpriced and the Scarlet X is overpowered for my use. And the RED packages do not suffice... you definitely need more storage and batteriess so $16,000 is more like it.
  • i agree, as just a hobby, its to expensive.
    i was still hoping for the 3500usd and 3k hype from a few years back.

but if you make a living with video, well .................
  • We have to wait and see, but given that this forum seems largely devoted to low-cost, guerllia filmmaking here's a little thought experiment for you....

Suppose you have no gear and are given the chance to have $14K-$16K worth of gear, but you have to choose from one of two options:

(1) a hacked Gh2; nice tripod, shoulder rig, maybe slider / micro-dolly; monitor/viewfinder; follow focus; decent cinema-converted manual focus prime set; a versatile array of hard lights, soft lights, and reflectors; some grip gear; good quality shotgun and lavalier mics with a great sound recorder and mixer; and a fast, decked out computer to edit and color correct / grade on.

(2) a Scarlet package without lenses.

Which do you choose?

Other things equal, of course I'd want a Scarlet.... but the GH2 is good enough to make movies on for at least the next year. I'd rather spend time and money on sound, lights, decent lenses, and a good script. When you have a project that suits shooting with something a little higher res, then rent.... BTW, Hot Rod Cameras guy says that to have a no-hassles Scarlet (adequate storage cards, maybe monitor, etc?) it'll be more like $20K (not including lenses).
  • @qwerty123
    I love thought experiments! Just love them! You should read:
    Vehicles: Experiments in Synthetic Psychology

Anyway: back to yours- the problem is that you can't film without a lens - its GH2 or nothing.
    9780262521123-f30.jpg
    312 x 475 - 25K
  • . . . a terrible monster
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    >Price for Scarlet-X, including Brain, Side SSD and Canon aluminum mount is $9,750 if ordered before December 31st, 2011. After Jan. 1st, 2012 the price for Scarlet will be $9700 for the Brain only.
    Where did you see that ?
  • lenuisible, Jarred Land say's it on scarletuser.com/showthread.php?t=6010
  • Yep, the posted quite some time ago that their stuff will go up after January 1st.
  • @ qwerty123
    I saved $5000 for a Panny AF100 with the intention of doing freelance work. My intention is to buy the camera first and slowly save for the rest of the supporting gear. However, just days before I place my order, I saw my friend's GH2 in action and I decided to forgo the AF100 and bought 2 Gh2 body instead. I used the spare cash for some Nikon AIS lenses, filters, camera bag, tripod, basic 3 point lightings, some audio and grip stuff. In the end I still have spare change to take my girlfriend out for a good dinner. If I've taken the other route of buying AF100, I'll probably still be struggling to save for the rest of the gear to make it functional inorder to start my freelance work.

Today, I've already made back more than I've invested. I don't think the AF100 would have made much difference to my work cause my clients have never question me about my camera system. However they were really impressed with me for setting up 2 camera for a basic interview.
  • @mozes thanks, strange it's only advertised on the forum ...

@Those_Who_Ordered : did you get any confirmation of that discount ?
  • @lenuisible

I am sure this info must be present on their order page.