Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @Kris great ISO, noise reduction and correction test.

• It looks like the 100-400mm Leica is going to be a killer combo with the GH5 for 800mm eqiv handheld use !

32547306153_9cd4ed8dfc_c.jpg
    800 x 500 - 106K
  • GH5 demo reel filmed in Yokohama

• A brief look at a production model of the GH5:

• The stuff that neumann films shot in vlog-l, do we know how they dealt with exposure on that stuff?...was it nailed in shot or purposfully overexpose by a couple of stops to protect shadows?

• @Fost Of course, but with much better video specs and performance. :)

• @Eno - that would put it in the ballpark of the EM1 Mk2 ISO performance I think :)

• And here's the Gh5 (on the left) vs the 5D mk2 (on the right), both of them at ISO 12800.

GH5 vs 5D mk2 ISO 12800.jpg
    1594 x 976 - 2M
  • ACR 9,9 is here and GH5 RAW's can finally be edited.

After a quick testing I found it's low light performance to be around one ISO stop worst compared to the Nikon D810 35mm camera. In the first image D810 (on the left) is at ISO12800 and GH5 (on the right) at 6400. In the second image D810 (on the left) is at ISO 25600 and GH5 (on the right) at 12800.

The images were processed from Imaging Resource raw samples, with the D810 scaled down to the GH5 resolution.

One stop difference for a sensor almost 4 times smaller is quite an achievement, don't you say?

D810 at ISO 12800 vs GH5 at ISO 6400.jpg
    1597 x 958 - 1M
    D810 at ISo 25600 vs GH5 at ISO 12800.jpg
    1594 x 956 - 2M
  • @Eno
    Just so I am clear...
    Is the image captured by the GH5 on the right in your images? It's implied by your post, but the name of the comparison image files implies otherwise and there isn't a label in the pics.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Can you please delete this post case I wrongly wrote the camera names for each camera image in the attachment and I post it once again below corrected. Thanks!

GH5 vs D810 ISO 6400 vs 12800.jpg
    1597 x 958 - 1M
    GH5 vs D810 ISO 12800 vs 25600.jpg
    1594 x 956 - 2M
  • Does the current vlog code you can buy work with the new gh5?

• @karuchie Another test where they have used the Varicam 35 LUT. I wish people understood why these tests with LUT grading are flawed and do not show the true quality that can be achieved. I get good results with the GH4 Vlog internal 8 bit recording when grading in Resolve WITHOUT using a LUT. The LUT is nowhere near as good at getting a nice smooth result with minimal banding.

• At least the GH5 firmware has been finalized. Lumix ambassadors got the v1.0 firmware on march 2. Previous version was 0.5.

• Fingers crossed it will be free!

• @lmackreath definately. To put it in perspective, when you shoot Prores LT in UHD, it's around 400Mbit (30p is a little over, 24 and 50p under). Only that Prores is an old DCT based codec and h264 way more efficiant; I have no doubts that this upgrade will boost the cam a lot.

• So do we think the 400mb firmware update with give enough head room finally to have a cleaner 10 bit vlog image internally recorded?

• My experience is: using external recorders (ninja assassin) the GH4's V-Log colour and other 'issues' (magenta blotches on faces macro blocking etc) vanish when using 422 8 bit externally. Which to me says it's more to do with the h264 encoder than bit depth. 8 bit 422 pro res V-Log (even LT) looks much better on skin than GH4 internal V-Log. 10 bit doesn't make as much difference - apart from when grading heavily.

• Do you think is it best option to upgrade to GH5 from G6? Or is there anything better? I want mostly 180fps function and better video stabilization. Thanks