Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1530/personal-view-members-collaborative-videos#Item_2

The new INTRA Showreel made collaboratively by personal-view members is now showing here.

Thanks to all.
  • @FGCU "how did you pull that detail? or is it two shots. that amount of recovery is bordering RAW"

I was just thinking the same thing after a shoot I did yesterday. These codecs now are really like 4:2:0 RAW. Awesome stuff. I wouldn't take another camera over my GH2 now besides a Red Epic.

I'm getting better shadow recovery than even with the Canon XF's 4:2:2 50mb/s codec. Although, the XF's image is nothing to write home about in the first place... but still, this is impressive stuff.
  • @FGCU, just use the PNG in this thread. Tried it myself in Photoshop just now, lots of detail hidden in those shadows!
  • @Hallvalla I shot this in cinema mode which is better for lifting those shadows in post. This is a pretty good example where the boom op is pretty much invisible, a 10% shadow lift reveals him, but when you use curves you find a lot more detail in the shot. I double checked my frames on that footage and it did double the frames because I had the shutter speed set to 1/50 ( which sucks, this could have made nice slo-mo footage ) I'm uploading the original 536 .mts file if anyone wants to play with it. http://redantdc.com/dvx/00050.MTS
    raw.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 347K
    10prctshadowlift.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 497K
    curves.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 312K
  • @FGCU
    lifting the shadows i guess...
  • I used his screen grab. Not my shot.
  • @FGCU

In Photoshop w/curves. Simple as that, I was pretty amazed too.
  • @RRRR Thanks for the response. I am aware of the Aquamotion 2 patch. Call me selfish but I am spoiled by the high bitrates of the SeaQuake. However, I recorded a soccer game pointing to the TV screen in 80% slo mo using SeaQuake averaging 100mb/s and it worked (the bitrate for Aquamotion 2). The one that failed was shooting a golf course during the day averaging 140mb/s.
  • @Zaven13: as far as I know, it is already done.. Look for the patch named Aquamotion 2!
    80% mode uses 25% more information, so it's only natural it doesn't work on settings which are optimal for p24 for instance..

@bkmcwd: cheers! Will try it out. :)
  • @Driftwood I tested your SeaQuake 24p patch with Panasonic 14-140mm and 100-300mm lenses using a Sandisk 32GB Extreme HD 30/mbs class 10 and Transcend 64GB SDXC class 10 cards shooting in normal, EXTC and variable frame rate modes. Everything worked fine with the exception of 80% slow motion that fails after a few seconds with card write error. May be this can be corrected with a frame limit or some other variable setting. Appreciate everything you, Vitaly and others are doing.
  • When you shoot 720/60p with the shutter set to longer than 1/60 s, the effective frame rate is reduced and it records duplicate frames - 30p with each frame twice in the case of 1/30 - 1/50 s.
  • @driftwood Ok thats good to know I wasn't sure if the 720p mode automatically had a higher bitrate when your patch was loaded. I think I originally set shutterspeed to 1/50 sec so I'm assuming that the camera automatically kicks that back to 1/60 , would that be correct?
  • +1 for 720p60 GOP1 at the expense of all else.
  • @RRRR
    Thanks! ;-)
    First of all, I recommend this to you, although it is under improvement further now.
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/25897#Comment_25897
  • Driftwood, I bet there is a LARGE contingent that would love to see 720p60 GOP1 and does not care at all about 1080i60 use at the same time.
  • @Imaginate
    Damn that looks good!

Maybe I need to fire up some 720p60 and test this. Thanks for sharing. If there's a great improvement (which appears so based on your posted frame), this may look better for slo-mo dropped on a 24P timeline.
  • 60p at GOP1 is a f'in nightmare - thats y its gop3. Just as soon as it works for 720p60 it screws up 1080i60. This is because of the shared settings that would be great if they could be seperated in a future version of ptools (switching variables?) but VK has already mentioned that this would probably be not possible. Many people are preferring 1080i60 to have the best setting as they can pull out 30p from it.
  • 50p is GOP 1
    60p is GOP 3
  • Seaquake 720p is GOP 3, no?
  • Pretty sure factory settings couldn't pull THIS much detail out of the shadows - incredible. (just a sample of the detail hidden in the shadows – not an overall color grade)

shadow.png
    1276 x 718 - 616K
  • 720p driftwood is INTRA, and stock isn't. So better movement. Also higher average framesize/bitrate than stock so better for grading.
  • @driftwood I just was out shooting some SEAQUAKE behind the scenes footage at western short film, outside campfire setting, it wasnt until I got home that I realized I had accidentally switched the camera in to 720p mode. I know this footage isn't as high res as 24p mode but can you explain the differences from 720p factory and 720p SEAQUAKE.
    chew.png
    1276 x 718 - 738K
  • @bkmcwd

I'm curious; if I should try out one of your patches, which should it be? (I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to it, although enjoying your flycam shots!)
  • @No_SuRReNDeR, @cosimo_bullo, @lolo, @pchristoph, @B3Guy, @bkmcwd, @5thwall, @sohus, @thepalalias, @Hallvalla, @bdegazio, @lenuisible, @exilenorth, @RRRR, @FGCU, @sanzadez, @Bueller, @derek, @HillTop1, @shrigg, @sammy, @blackroom, @TrackZillas, @atticusd, @paglez, @filthy, @greenbean, @Nameless, @tuprware
    @alcomposer

RE: INTRA SHOWCASE FILM
    HI guys,
    The only thing holding us up now is gettings the credits sorted:-
    Please take a look at the text file on the collaboration thread to see if we have all your details correct -let me know by PM private message if I have to change anything.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1268/gh2-intra-demo-its-collaboration-time#Item_117

THANK YOU!
  • Interesting stuff.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions