Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GX1: Official topic
  • 129 Replies sorted by
  • Ive had it with Panny theyve lost their way.
    I await the same old specs...Im surely betting the video mode will be the same as G3 (no manual controls interlaced 1080p) as theyve already stated they dont want to lose g3 sales.

My GH2 is a nice video camera...but after using the 5n Im wanting a decent all round CAMERA on m4/3
  • I'm more interested in that lens.
  • @Mimirsan Panasonic does too many incremental updates. It's good and bad. It's good that I can buy m43 lenses cheap by keeping a lens and selling a body. That's how I got 14mm 2.5 at $140 and 14-45 at $100.

GH2 is all around camera. See http://tinyurl.com/3ecam8q Nice photos right? The guy is famous for taking nice JPEGs straight out of cameras from wide range of brands, and his favorite camera is GF1.

• @Stonebat im going by personal experience and preference on owning both a 5N and M43.
    The GH2 is not a great photo camera..its not even a good photo camera...It might as well have one button (creative movie mode) as it is the only area it truly excels above others in its range...the rest is an afterthought.

I don't really care if there's a dedicated 5n forum or not...that does not make my decision on what camera I want to use...its performance does.
    I wasn't a fan of the Nex 5...but the 5n and 7 are pretty much what ive been after.

The problem is there is too many incremental updates as you said and John has it right...they run the risk of losing its support by the lack of imagination and guts.
    This is supposed to be a X line camera for enthusiasts...I myself is a big fan of M43 (the lens selection is bang on) this just looks like Gf2.0 to me. Good luck to them but I can spend my money better elsewhere.
  • GH2 can't take a good photo? Try these spicy peppers.

If you are happy with 5n, please post more wonderful things about 5n in http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/21359. I would like to hear.

Incremental updates are annoying... but I sorta like it. That's how to buy m43 lenses cheap. The pancake zoom... sure I want it... when GX1 kit price drops a lot. Those incremental bodies are kit bodies :). Sell them. Keep lenses.

One day they will get it right. I will wait.

20111022-P1040732.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 1M
  • I hear ya
    But they've had nearly over two years to get right or at least go in the right direction ;-)
  • You mean a rangefinder style true L1 successor? NEX-7 looks closer to L1.

I think Panasonic is doing it right. What's the point of releasing a pro m43 body without a pro m43 lenses? 12-35 and 35-100 are going to be the first pro m43 lenses. I'm expecting a pro m43 body next year. The only problem is expected high price.

I just don't have money and energy and time for switching different systems. Panasonic m43 body and lenses actually saved me money. My only complaint was not-so-great photos from m43 bodies. But the guy's photos totally changed my perception.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=panasonic_forum&page=10&divpage=16&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=84253
    http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=panasonic_forum&page=15&divpage=16&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=84069
    http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=panasonic_forum&page=17&divpage=16&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=84002

I've been enjoying taking JPEGs out of camera. No cropping. No adjustment whatsoever. It's pure joy.
    20111022-P1040777.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 1M
    20111016-P1040417.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 2M
  • nice pictures from the gf3, in the end much, without noise :) anyways now we are just waiting for some pictures test. By recents test the g3 is better is low light than the gh2 but in my knowledge i don't very know if that new processing engine will do some diffenrence. what you think?
  • Actually I hope GX1 reproduces noise like GF1. GF2 smears detail too much. GF3 sits between GF1 an GF2.

G3 smears detail by applying more noise reduction, too. I heard GX1 uses a different process from G3.
  • if you are right about the gf1 noise it is funny that panasonic miss to do good noise like gf2, 3...
    it is question of buisness?
  • @Mimirsan Don't leave m43. Otherwise we will miss you!!!
  • @amateur GF2 has girly noise. I guess girls don't appreciate manly noise from GF1. Hopefully GX1 brings the tradition back.
  • hope so...
  • Mr.Kwon is prolly the most famous m43 photographer in Korea. He's been using GF1 for a year. People got stunned by his photos and asked him.

Did you use a tripod? No
    Did you crop? No
    Did you take raws? No
    Did you apply post-processing? No
    How come? It's stressful.
    Ah...
  • I like Mr Kwon's attitude!
  • We know someone just like Mr. Kwon.

Seb Farges makes nice videos without color grading, noise reduction, or image stabilization during post-processing.
  • I think the GH2 is a very good stills camera. Always take it on trips, and I throw the feather light Olly 40-150 in the bag as well with the 20mm, which is remarkably sharp for a budget lens.
  • How much you paid for 14-150? There's a way to get 14-140 at cheap price. Panasonic Direct is selling GH2 with 14-140 at $1199. Free shipping. Tax free. Sell the body around $700. After paying ebay fees, you are getting a brand new 14-140 at $550 :)
  • @stonebat - "Actually I hope GX1 reproduces noise like GF1. "

The image sensor in the GF1 (and GF2, GF3...) sucks, it was twice as noisy as the GH1.
  • @LPowell I had horrible horizontal lines in GH1. Don't mind the noise character in RAW of the GF1, though.
  • @stonebat
    Nobody will miss me matey! As for the links you showed..ive no problem with the GF1 output...Its great (but not so much above iso 400) the newer G cameras have too much smearing and colours are off.
  • They gotta kill G line.

GF is set. No hotshoe. Small compact.

GX should target rangefinder enthusiasts. Built-in EVF is a-must. This model should entice current G owners.

GH should become more beefy. Let's be frank. GH2 is neither compact nor cute. We buy it for features. Add more features. Make the body more solid. I don't mind if it increases the overall body dimensions. In fact I would like to see more manly GH3. And do something about missing eyecup holder.

Stop playing the senseless sensor game. Just use all models with the latest GH sensors. Geez...
  • @stonebat

+1

Right on the money!
  • if iso are similar of ep-3 im done http://www.digital-photography-school.com/olympus-pen-e-pl3-review

why panasonic scear to rival with their others camera they depend of previous features or what ? we all know that gh2 sensor are little similar then see much better in moire but in low light i think af100 got it.

if iso are okay to iso 800 thats acceptable....
  • GX1 with 14-42X around $1K. I recall GF1 with 14-45 was about the price in 2009. Just in two years, after so much money printing, it's amazing that the same dollars can buy a better product. It won't compete with NEX-7. But GX1 body only half the price of NEX-7 sounds enticing. Just like GF1, the price is likely cut in half in a year. Usual 50% haircut. I love Panasonic.