Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic DVX200 - costly fixed lens 4K camera

Specs

• 4/3” MOS sensor
    • Fixed 13x zoom, 28mm-365.3mm, F2.8-F4.5
    • V-Log
    • 1080p120
    • 4Kp60
    • H.264 encoder

Not too long after the HDSLR revolution started, the companies started bringing out accessibly priced large sensor video cameras with interchangeable lenses. Such as the AF100, then later the FS100, then a bit later the C100.

Since then the C100 has been replaced with the (very disappointingly small update) C100mk2, the FS100's big brother the FS700 has been "replaced" (unofficially) with the FS7 (so surely the FS1 or FS200 is coming along next? Perhaps a topic for another thread...). Thus where is the AF200? One which has been waiting for an update for years and years longer than any of the others (and no, the AF100A hardly counts! Though I guess that is what Canon did with their "C100mk2"....).

Perhaps with the success of the GH4 (surely the most successful of the entire GH line so far), and the mainstreaming of 4K, those two factors will be sufficient to propel Panasonic to update the ageing AF100??

On a somewhat related point, how relevant is the AF100 still in 2015 and beyond? Some would think it still is: http://www.anycamerawilldo.com/old-but-not-out/

Am somewhat considering an AF100 myself, as planning on doing the next upcoming wedding season with one GH4 body and perhaps five or so GH1 bodies (maybe swapping out one GH1 for a GH2 with a monitor instead, for my second shooter to use). Thus I'll have a GH4 for single camera shoots (corporate ads / music videos / etc) and I'll have a heap of GH1 bodies to cheaply (only US$150 each!) cover the multiple angles needed for filming live events such as weddings. And I should be able to easily edit between them (making life an awful lot easier for me than this wedding season when I used: Nikon D5200 / Sony A5100 / Panasonic GH1 / G3 / GF3 / BMPCC).

However, half considering if it is worthwhile getting an AF100 as well if I see one cheap enough (say perhaps getting close to US$1,000-ish). As for appearances sake it could be reassuring for clients/brides to see my show up with an AF100, and not just a bunch of tiny GH1 bodies. Additionally I could have it handle some of the sound needs with its XLR inputs (additional to my usage of a Tascam DR-60D). And it is a camera which should cut in fairly easily enough with the bulk of the GH1 footage I'd hope?

phantom37.jpg
    800 x 489 - 54K
    phantom38.jpg
    800 x 385 - 42K
    phantom39.jpg
    800 x 482 - 39K
    phantom40.jpg
    800 x 548 - 44K
  • 143 Replies sorted by
  • New firmware, version 1.84

Improvements

1. On rare occasions, the operation of REC button on the unit or a wired remote control may no longer have any effect. This problem is fixed.
    2. If the card is ejected from the main slot during the simultaneous recording, the recording in the sub-slot stops 10 hours after the start of recording. The indication shows the same as during recording, and the operations of REC button are refused. This problem is fixed.
    3. LCD may not show anything when the camera is booted up. This problem is fixed.
    4. A very few SD cards may have a write error. This problem is fixed.
    5. If the network address is changed when WIRELESS SETUP is set to [DIRECT] and DHCP is set to [SERVER], it sometimes made the camera impossible to connect to the iPad. This problem is fixed.
    6. If SET button is operated on AG-ROP app, the count number of “Jog Dial” item of Hour Meter is increased. This problem is fixed.
    7. When 480i squeeze output is carried out, an image quality may be the slight deterioration. This problem is fixed. (Recording signals do not have any problem, only output signals have this problem.)
      Conditions:SDI/AVOUT output of playback on MOV/MP4/AVCHD
      Input: 1920x1080i/1440x1080i/720x480i
      Output: Squeeze output of 720x480i (down-conversion)

http://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/content/download/EN/ep2main/soft/upgdvx200_e.htm

• New firmware 1.83

• The camera may freeze if you perform a Zoom operation while other menu settings are set after Focus Transition is set up.
    • “Focus Transition function”. A function to enable the Focus to shift to a pre-registered focus position It is assigned to a USER button before it is used, and can be cancelled by operating the Zoom.
    • Indicated remaining storage capacity is not correct in VFR recording Error is corrected in calculation method for remaining capacity in VFR recording. Especially, when the slow motion effect is set and REC Frame rate is greater than Playback Frame rate, the camera has a symptom where the remaining time of the storage media is shorter than indicated.
      • REC FORMAT (FR in playback) < FR in recording
      • FHD 1080/59.94p 50M (59.94)  < 62 - 120 fps
      • FHD 1080/29.97p 50M (29.97)  < 32 - 120 fps
      • FHD 1080/23.98p 50M (23.98)  < 26 - 120 fps
      • FHD 1080/50.00p 50M (50.00)  < 52 - 120 fps
      • FHD 1080/25.00p 50M (25.00)  < 27 - 120 fps
    • Improvement of SDI Audio
      SDI Output (3G-SDI, HD-SDI, SD-SDI) Problems such as ‘the status of Audio CH2 not indicated’ are fixed. SD-SDI Audio If the camera is alternately put into Recording Mode and Playback Mode, there may be a difference of a few samples in phase between CH1 and CH2 on rare occasions. This problem is fixed.

http://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/content/download/EN/ep2main/soft/upgdvx200_e.htm

• Panasonic DVX200 vs Lumix GH4

• C100 Mark II vs Panasonic AG-DVX200 low light test

• Through Bangalore with the DVX200

• Does the DVX200 show the exposure numbers when shooting video with automatic modes A, S or P ? Panasonic has chosen with GH4 not to show them but how is the the professional DVX200 ?

• Glidecam usage samples

• DVX200 Master Class

• DVX200 vx Canon EOS 600D

• Another review

• Panasonic Releases a Remote Operation Panel App for iPad Use, to Improve Handheld AG-DVX200 4K Camera Recorder Operation.

Panasonic is pleased to announce that the AG ROP (Remote Operation Panel) app, which allows remote control*1 of the professional AG-DVX200 4K camera recorder from an iPad, will be available for downloading, free of charge, from the Apple App Store starting on January 18, 2016.

The AG-DVX200 is a 4/3-type large-format 4K/60p camera recorder with integrated zoom lens that was released in September 2015. Its 4/3-type large-format sensor captures stunning images with a shallow focus and attractive Bokeh effect. It also features a wide dynamic range made possible by 12-stop V-Log L processing inherited from the new Varicam Series. The AG-DVX200 records 4K (4096 x 2160)/24p, 4K (UHD:3840 x 2160)/60p, FHD (1920 x 1080)/60p images at a maximum of 120 fps (frames per second) onto a memory card.

The new AG ROP app enables wireless remote control of the AG-DVX200's picture quality adjustment, zoom, focus, and REC start/stop from an iPad. This allows easy touch control with an existing iPad, to further expand the mobility of the AG-DVX200 with crane and jib use compatibility.

• Panasonic has announced the immediate availability of Barry Green's A Guide to the Panasonic AG-DVX200 Camera, a comprehensive reference e-book for customers and users of the new AG-DVX200PJ 4K large-sensor, 4/3” handheld camcorder. The book can be downloaded free at http://info.panasonic.com/dvx200-ebook.html .

• Here's a report on a dog rescue charity which I shot with my DVX200. Standard profile #6 without Vlog. No grading or correction -- it was a rush job unpaid, so minimal work.