Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Issues topic
  • 300 Replies sorted by
  • That's interesting. I am definitely moving back to 16-235 for now. I graded a bit that came out nicely!

flowernice.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 185K
  • Belfryman, I think you just need to dial in your GH4. For my use it is better in every way compared to my x GH3 With my 12-35 lens set to f/2.8 I have no problems with low light. When the noise is bad is when there is no light like at the recent CandleLight Service at our Church. And yet, that is my most asked for Video disc. I used the Vivid Profile with all set to 0

• Thanks @RRRoger I did a bit of grading last night and I am so converted! Some really nice stuff in it, I just have to override the camera meter indoors a bit and increase exposure. I love it when it's a high contrast bright lights in darkness scene, like on a tube platform at night, it's the lower light areas in scenes that are otherwise reasonably lit that I'm having issues with but for sure I am already a much happier bunny and beginning to see what people like, my initial fear was it was going to be clinical and only good for interviews etc but with the FD lenses on it it's a lot more painterly/organic/filmic whatever. Looking forward to steep, speedy learning curve.

• My GH4 sometimes locks up when watching a 4K Photo movie requiring me to pull the battery. When it happens, it seems to occur when I am paused or trying to get to a frame to extract (FF or frame advance). No data loss, but annoying.

• @belfryman Are you working with the 16-235 setting?

• @Mckinise Hi. Tried the top 2 both fine for me, can't remember what am now leaving it on. I just have to be very careful with exposure and keeping histogram on am now a total convert! Getting lovely stuff from it.

• Anyone got news on the next GH4 firmware update?

thanks

• No idea on the firmware, but after the NX1 firmware announcement I'm hoping for some miraculous.

• @belfryman I did a few experiments with those settings. 16-235 was definitely cleaner for me in standard mode. Will have to test Natural, Cinema D, and Cinema V.

• Hi I'm seeing a lot of compression artifacts in well lit situations, please see below link. There is also some really weird horizontal lines appearing around the centre, it can be seen in the video still near the birds left wing (screen right). I'm also finding I can't push the footage much in post before getting these artifacts.

My workflow was to transcode the footage into prores 4444, conform in cinema tools, then (in fcp 7) applied a lut and that is all, no sharpening etc... Annoyingly I can't remember the camera settings exactly but I think they were as below. I'm interested to know if anyone else has experienced this? Is this normal for this camera and I'm just being an idiot? Or should I return it due to these issues? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

cine d lens: 25mm 1.4 leica shadows lifted by 3 highlights down by 3 nr 0 cont 0 sharpness -5 hue 0 sat -3 16-235 shutter 125 iso 200

• Also has anyone else noticed when shooting 60fps 200m all-i that the first two frames are HEAVILY compressed, a thick horizontal band of artifacts through the centre of the image? By the third frame the image 'cleans' up a lot more.

• Ed - I haven't experienced any of these issues, and I've been shooting with it for 7 months. Try shooting with no contrast or pedestal adjustments, no I dynamic or any of that stuff - try filming UHD in cine d, with sharpening at -2 and NR at -2 also. Keep ISO at 800 or under if you can, 16-235 and let us know how that goes as a starting point.

• HI MrBill, thanks for the response, I'm seeing this banding in all my footage, regardless of what settings I apply/dont. I used the james miller settings yesterday, which although the image is less noisy, the banding is still present. All my footage is ISO 800 or below. I never go beyond 800 as a rule. I have shot some 4k footage and I can see the same banding in the sky even when ungraded. I also shot this all at 16-235

The first two frames of horizontal band of artifacts are present in everything I shoot at 60fps 200m all-i regardless of settings. The 60fps 200m all-i, is basically the reason I bought this camera, i didnt buy it for the 4k, however it is a nice addition.

• @ed_hobson, you should post a native gh4 clip to vimeo. It appears your settings and work flow are killing your footage. You have to rule out the transcoding, and those LUT's before looking at the cam.

Cheers, Pete

• Bad or more compressed frames at the beginning of clip is typical for Panasonic codec. The codec initializes the bitrate and it settles after first frames. It was very obvious and bad with some hacks with GH2.

• I second checking settings and workflow. I was getting some really terrible banding in my finished projects. I went back and discovered the original footage was good. The rendered footage was bad.

• How can I see GH4 video thumbnails in Windows 7?

I cant see GH4 100Mbs MOV files (fullhd and 4k) file icon thumbnails in file window. I have not installed GH4 cd to my computer. I dont know if it helps. Do I need to load some codecs or updates? I can see 50Mbs files thumbnails. I can also see Sony XAVC 50Mbs thumbnails. Windows 8 shows those 100Mbs thumbnails fine.

• I installed K-Lite codec pack and now my Win7 shows 4k icons and plays files. Some has said that it may cause problems when installing codec packs but lets see.

• There is a program called media preview that fixes thumbnails.

• Is anyone having an issue with the Lumix GH4 eyepiece/cup constantly falling off?

• I recently bought this camera and have a question. When shooting in 4K the screen (evf and flip-out) gets very noisy but when switching to FHD the image gets much better. Any ideas? Do I have a faulty screen or have I missed some settings?

• My experience is that what I see (minus any info) on the screen gets recorded. There could be lots of reasons the 4k image is bad. You need to check all your settings again.

• GH4 camera strap lugs are loose - same as GH3. Sent to service center to tighten them up.

• Regarding the issue I posted about March 13 the issue seems to be with resolution and compression of 4K-image on the LCD screen. When I watch clips on my PC they look better and I find none of this jitter/unsteady image when watching in native resolution. The best way to describe it is if I look at a clip on MPC and then shrinks the window to a very small size I find the same heavy artifacts/compression as on my flip-out screen. Is it supposed to look like this or is it only me being picky?

• Here is a video that shows the kind of vertical lines/jittering effect I see on my flip-out screen but not on PC when watching in full resolution:

Especially noticeable with moving objects or when I move the camera. I tried many different settings, it helps a little bit with contrast and sharpness at -5, but it is always there. It is less noticeable in the EVF.