Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Ask developers of the Panasonic Lumix GH4, plus, answers about the m43 format
  • 130 Replies sorted by
  • I have been wanting to ask/comment on this with Panasonic for a long time, so hopefully this will make the cut...

• Is Panasonic aware they are missing out on the wildlife/sports segment of the market by not offering longer telephoto lenses?

• Does Panasonic have plans to add longer telephoto lenses for its m43 cameras?

• Will we ever see 3-axis stabilization on the cameras?

Thank you!

• May I suggest a hardware product or redesign for the YAGH interface? Its place and size can cause difficulties for some users: for example, one can't attach a set of 15mm rails and use devices like follow focus rigs. So I have two suggestions:

1) Redesign the interface's case to incorporate a 15mm rail system: it might add two or three centimeters to the YAGH interface's height.

2) Enable a remote connection to the YAGH interface: a small interface that attaches to the bottom of the camera, perhaps a centimeter high at most, and a cable that attaches to the YAGH interface somewhere nearby.

• This topic is for SHORT and CLEAR QUESTIONS.

Any thoughts, possible suggestions are nice, but not here.

• Sorry for the length of my previous questions & commentary. Here are my questions, in brief:

1. Will the GH4 be getting better support than the GH3?

2. Will the GH4 be getting more/regular firmware updates other than the showstopper bug fixes the GH3 received?

3. Can you see the value in providing 1 and 2 above?

• GH4 went GLOBAL, so what is the reason that previous cameras were made region dependent (PAL/NTSC) Will Panasonic consider enabling this feature in other cameras by firmware upgrade? (it's clearly possible since, at least for GH2, this can be done with Ptool)

• I am going to buy YAGH just to take it to pieces and convince myself that most of YAGH's inside is empty space. After that I am going to throw it away.

1) Is Panasonic aware of loosing key advantage of m43: p o r t a b i l i t y ? (YAGH 'brick' case) 2) Is Panasonic aware of loosing portability due to 4:2:0 internal codec?

• So many in this thread just sound greedy and or clueless whiners.

• So many in this thread just sound greedy and or clueless whiners.

For me - looks ok.

Btw, if it was not asked yet:

• Panasonic have any plans considering fixing horrible plastic skin tones produced by m43 cameras?

Sorry, could not resist.

• There are many useful suggestions in this thread. Since Nick has the attention of Mr. Koyama, it would be foolish to waste this opportunity. I propose that Nick submit two documents - a list of questions and a list of suggestions, with a note that Mr. Koyama need not respond to the suggestions at this time.

Sound reasonable?

• Will panasonic create a YAGH system with just XLR and battery grip ?

• +1 @CFreak "Any plans for a servo powered zoom, like on an ENG camera ?"

• What will be next to replace AF101 in the future ?

• Can you ask if LUTs can be loaded in camera besides the cine-D and Cine-V. Thanks

• Could Panasonic consider making electronic EF-m43 lens adapter-focal reducer?

• Probably has been pointed out already, but regarding the GH3 I would really like to know:

• if is possible to implement a higher bitrate in the intra modes which demonstrated too low on complex scenes?
    • focus peaking? to make up for EVF
    • and the colour shifting in timelapse (HUGE bug)?
    • Case the answer is yes, if Panasonic has plans to do it?

This are just suggestions (4 firmware):

• would be nice to be able to lock exposure with shutter button while focusing with AF/AE lock
    • have the WHOLE array of switch options in each of the five physical Fn buttons.
    • still that AE lock button assigned to focus-on triggered Focus assist when in MF mode.
    • and also that in C modes returning to menu goes to last access and not always in top C menu, very time consuming.

Thank you so much Nick =)

• I am constantly changing the settings on my G6 because the fn buttons are too easily pressed (especially when used for still photography in portrait orientation). I would like to see an option to require that two buttons must be simultaneously depressed before a setting is changed. Would this be possible with a firmware update?

I really enjoy using the DMW-GWC1 wide angle adapter but it does introduce some distortion which is not corrected in-camera like with other Panasonic lenses. Would it be possible to add a menu option so we can "tell" the camera when the DMW-GWC1 is attached and have the camera correct the distortion?

• @maxr - Ditto on the color shifting with timelapse. I see it even in RAW pics.

• I would like to ask :

1. why gh4 has no 2,35:1 cropmarks, or letterboxes for framing?
    2. Any plans implementing this function?
    3. Why panasonic didn´t implemented LOG color profile for gh4?

thanks

• With regards to the future GH5 and all that may follow:

1. Will you return to the multi-aspect sensor?
    2. Why stick to 16MP and not 12MP and improve low light sensitivity?
    3. When will you move from 12 to 14-Bit ADC?
    4. Can we expect implementation of H.265?
    5. Why not ditch the YAGH and make bigger, sturdier body with included SSD slot for 10 or even 12-bit recording, or at least with dual CF card slots?
    6. Any chance for on-screen cropmarks with different aspect ratios for better composition when shooting different projects?
    7. What happened with the micro color splitter technology?
    8. How about built in ND's?

Thank you.

• The GH4 seems to have a very complete package. Pretty great actually and already very little to be desired.

Here is my list coming from GH2. I don't know if these things already exist on GH4/GH3/GX7 I've used Magic Lantern a lot before and some features I really miss.

• widely available in April (Please,please get me one for my full month Masai Mara safari shoot in Kenya in June)
    • full sensor width 4k (I would prefer cropfactor 2 or better less)
    • selectable colours for focus peaking (can't see tiny red dots very well due to decreased sensitivity for tiny red/green spots), set sensitivity level, select colour/bw background and available in all modes including ex tele, focus assistant
    • build in ND would be very handy
    • EV value at focus point for quick exposure for skin tones
    • blue zebras underexposure, red overexposure. Set sensitivity level.
    • RGB histogram with red/blue/green dots appearing at clipping point and numbers for amount of 1/3 stops over exposed for each colour. (linear/log view ML style)
    • trap focus (release shutter/rec when subject is in focus at a pre set focus point)
    • HDR timelapse in 4k silent mode
    • wireless follow focus on AF stepping motor with the mobile app wifi, also program rack focus between hard focus points. Set point A and point B and rack speed.
    • turn tablet into full field monitor. Make the tablet compute overlay features that are missing in camera.
  • -Highly customisable picture profile software: supporting LUT and 2880x2160 mode(desqueeze in post).

• Is there anyway to disable the 12-35mm exposure changes while zooming, eg provide a function to lock physical aperture?

PS: I noticed that the 12-35 isn't a real constant aperture lens that Panasonic forced it to close down at the wide end, during a video shoot, slow zooming on the lens makes exposure jumps that is so disturbing.

• @exhardy switch to manual exposure?

• Here's my question, why all the crappy batteries? Isn't this bad for the environment?

• Is it possible that GH4 could ever record Cinema DNG in 8-bit 1080p?

• My couple of questions related to the Panasonic m43 cameras.

• Any plans for the USB3 port? How about to provide an application programming interface (API] for tethering via WiFi and USB ports?

• Any plans for a MFT camera with support of external GH4-type EVF? Can the external EVF be sold together with a camera as a kit option (with some discount)?

• I'll add more serious question.

How about GH4s (s comes from "secondary"). Same camera, same body, but lacking both internal EVF and screen, and with added connector for external Wi-Fi antennas (to allow long range operation).

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions