Personal View site logo
Need help, making a new start, Buying new gear
  • Hello comunity i need your help.

This friday while retiring from a work in the national library i called a taxi, and that is the last thing i remember. They took it all my gear ALL OF IT, my wallet credit card etc, of course my cellphone, FOR LUCK NO MY LIFE. i dont know how i managed to get into my house that night, my girlfriend tells me i called her while getting iside the taxi, telling her i call her in 15 minutes, i never called. The next day i realize that i dint knew how i manage to get home, i was throwing up my soul to the toilet, all day with head pain and intoxicated.

MAIN GOAL, MAKE LIGHT WEIGHT COMPLETE SYSTEM WITH GOOD OPTICS. NO MORE THAN 4kilos on hand. i have $4900 I need to buy NEW gear, but i need good deals, Im from peru so shiping cost is important.

Also i would like you to consider that i have back surgery, and i cant carry arround to much weight.

I though about buying the Samyang Cine lenses: 8mm 14mm 25mm 35mm 85mm. GH2, 4x sandisk 16gb extreme SD, 2 batteries. The resto of the gear i dont know well, i have some advices from vitaliy, but comunity also knows alot.

Thanks you very much!!!

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • I'd try to grab a Tokina 28-70 2.8 ATX II for good measure. Maybe dump the Samy 35, I think a 50mm is better framing on the GH2 sensor, IMO.

• Thks @rockroadpix . about the 50mm prime, what do you recomend, im planing on renting basic stuff also, thats why i considered the set of samyprimes. But tokina men, is a grate choice.

• I had an old Nikkor & really liked the look of it- Found a used Nikon mount Zeiss ZF1 online, so I sold the nikkor . The voigtlander 58 sounds nice, too...

I've heard too much talk of the Samy/Roki 35's breathing. I picked up a Contax Zeiss 35 for pretty cheap if you must have the FOV.

I bought the 28-70 Tokina and keep on my camera most of the time. It comes in handy in many ways and the focus is very nice... I have the Pro II: http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/2009/11/tokina-at-x-pro-28-70mm-f26-28.html

• If weight is a concern, I'd avoid Samyangs. Go with some Nikkor Primes and for the wider range, go with Lumix.

Lumix: 14mm, 20mmmm Nikkor: 28mm F2.8 & 50mm F1.4,

I had the Tokina 28-70mm and it's an awesome lens, the weight is just beastly and needs it's own tripod mount for the adapter itself.

• @griplimited aha! The tokina has its "weight" then. But is superve lens. About wide i also though about panny, but then i though about the rental and some people using complete rig mate box follow focus would like proper cine lenses and same brand for "prime lens kit" Those i would not carry my self even then, can 1 attach a follow focus on pankakes when rental is required?

@rockroadpix That is my doubt, light weight for me, or standard for rental?

• The Tokina is weighty, I'll concede that. I like the feel of heavy glass, reminds me of my film upbringing... It is a great all rounder, tho.

• @endotoxic- Sorry, but once I get started it is hard for me to stop. I would also be remiss if I didn't mention the Sigma 10-20 f3.5. Yeah it's not as fast as the Tokina 11-16, but it is a really nice lens and the price is right around the Tokina's. I think it yields great images and it's lighter... This was shot around 12mm, as 10 is too wide and I end up with Mattebox vignette:

• @rockroadpix WOW, that sigma look fantasticly sharp!!!! i liked alot the image. But then what should be the problem of getting then standard panasonic super zoom? like 14-140/ f4-5.6 ? Well its slower..but then maybe that sigma is sharper?

Im more confused now lol

• Sigma is wider, when you factor the crop, it gets you to around 18.5 mm, the Pany 14-140 would only get around 27mm. That's a big difference, imo. Constant aperture is also pretty good to have. You would have to get the adapter with aperture control for the Sigma. So that would be a factor, price-wise. I don't necessarily think the Sigma is sharper, as the 14-140 is very sharp, but I don't think it has the video-ish look of the Pany. I know you want to travel light, but if you were ever to use a matte box, you would pretty much not be able to use the 14-140. The barrel extends way too far. The Sigma's MIGHT extend a 1/2 inch or so. That's the problem with less expensive zooms (Pany/Olympus), they aren't "film world" friendly. My only real gripe on the Sigma is that the focus ring is very small.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions