Personal View site logo
Nudity? Nudity. Nudity!
  • 125 Replies sorted by
  • Guys, how about arrange such interview, make it, upload and show us, and after this we'll return to your camera work discussion :-)

I don't understand, we shouldn't offer an opinion on a film unless we've done something identical ourselves?

I've written a lot things and filmed a lot of things that have been thoroughtly trashed. Deservedly. Honest criticism is one way we get better at what we do.

I think this particular piece is using GH2 onboard audio, that right there says something about the effort that went in to the film.

• I don't have any desire to go out and look for a nudity project. I'm sure I could hop on Craigslist and find 100 willing participants but it's not my interest. I am not trying to share my opinion of intimacy, the other work I have done more than proves that I am beyond capable of such task.

• @brianluce

Nope, I just offer you to try :-) I am sure that you'll do better.

don't have any desire to go out and look for a nudity project. I am not trying to share my opinion of intimacy.

Why not make it entirely different?
    How many of your "willing participants" will have any value (remember, you want to make something really good) ?

• Did this video offer value? Or was it opinion? I guess that's up to the viewer.

• Maybe it's worth pointing out(?) that there's a long, long history of nudes in Western art -- it's not as if it's unexplored territory or nobody's ever thought about how to handle it. There are entire books devoted to that single subject, not to mention the feminist literature on the subject ("the male gaze", etc.)

At best, this sort of thing works, if at all, either as a curiosity -- it recalls the "performance art" that used to be more common, when an otherwise talentless woman would undress on stage, smear chocolate on herself, etc., and this passed for "art" among ignorant high-brows -- or as simple exploitation for men looking for self-gratification aids but pretending to be something else.

There's also the question of whether you're trying to make something erotic, or just very explicit. One could ask why the filmmaker didn't show everything, if he's trying to prove that nudity is nothing remarkable and we're just having a frank discussion? After the second or third tilt up and down her body, the whole thing begins to look prudish and coy.

• Did this video offer value? Or was it opinion?

I am talking about your future video. I am sure that you'll want real value, and this is why I asked.

• Like I said, I have no interest in making a video of a naked chick talking about her relationship experiences and opinion on intimacy. I have done enough video work to show that such a video wouldn't even be a challenge. Since it came from a 64 year old that decided to jump in the game and find a female that is comfortable being nude, he will have a short lived career in nude POV interviews, and she could have a career in nude modeling, or hosting classes at her house on female intimacy. These are in no way the direction that I am putting my skills to use on. It's not like I told the guy NEVER MAKE ANOTHER VIDEO AGAIN, just be a little more creative the next time around, and this isn't the video I would use to showcase your work.

• it was ok i guess poor cinematography , if you wanna see good nudes look at Xart works those are made with canon cameras and look really good particulary theres a short named Farewell by Xart that looks amazing.

• "...A 64 year old that decided to jump in the game...."

Isn't this is a little harsh, GMG?

And we don't really know what your credentials are, do we?

Two videos on Vimeo, one an example of the "Bore Me To Tears" video test genre, the other a wedding with diffusion.

Diffusion?

How smarmy can we get?

Okay, okay, Vitaliy, I'll tone it down in the future.

But you have to quit baiting these guys, 'cos I'm the one paying the price.

LOL.

RBD

• "Gnnnrnrnrrr" fap fap fap fap fap fap fap....."ahhhhh"

Worked good for me! :-D

• @GravitateMediaGroup...

I have NEVER HEARD OF GRAVITATE MEDIA GROUP!!!!

and based upon what i see here, I never will again...

on another note;

@RBD,

It is very hard to setup a cam and have professionalism when ANY nudity is involved,

Very nice work.

• Enough talking,, where is the video now?? Everyone is waiting to watch it ;)

• @raja... go to page 1 of this thread

• @flaschus And this matters why? Because I'm not producing major motion pictures out of Hollywood I can't have a company name? Do you even realize how many independent film company's are out there's?

And when nudity is involved, it is THAT MUCH more important to take it serious, otherwise you end up with feedback results like a majority of the people here have given.

How serious would people take James Camron if the nude scene in Titanic if the camera just scanned up and down her body? It was shot in such an elegant manor that it wouldn't lose focus of what's really going on and feel almost perverted.

• After reading through this thread, I took a look- I'm not quite sure what the idea was behind the clip. There was such a disconnect every time the camera panned down and up her body- it felt like I was being told "see, she's naked". I would have gotten that the first time, I think- 3 times? Started to feel like a scan of a female body being shown to me.

Purely from a consumers point of view, one consuming the media- I wouldn't dare speculate on what was the right way to shoot this, I just want to know if there was an intention in the clip, maybe I'm too thick to get it.

• @virgilr

the only thing the video was trying to get across is "her opinion" of intimacy.

• I see this as an incomplete work, perhaps with a few more interviews of different subjects - maybe throw in a guy or two to be more gender equitable and to "flesh out" your theme - this work can be taken more seriously than it stands right now. The rawness of this film is problematic, but not disastrous - this project just needs a little more time in the oven.

• Well I'm a honest hot blooded Aussie hertrosexual male and I loved it. .... Gimme more :-) Beautiful woman.

I'd definatley need a steady cam for this type of work, be shaking so much....lol BTW, my wife thought her obvious openness was a much desired trait that many women would love to have.

• Wow guys, I think the criticism is a bit harsh, here. I think obviously the simplicity of the setup and camera work is intentional. Whether it is your cup of tea or not, it is as valid as anything else, and feels less gratuitous in it's use of nudity to me than many fashion films one might find on Vimeo.

Perhaps it's something that has been said before, but it is something being said, without a doubt.

• @RBD Hi Robert. I can see what you're trying to do with telling her story. I think for the next time, you could mix it up a little. Take more time... don't try to do it all in one take. Have her seated, as well as standing. If possible, it's a good idea to use a boom for better sound (obviously there's nowhere to clip the lavalier, although I've seen that done with a lanyard on someone topless before. :0)

Also, try some static shots from a tripod, especially profiles and wides. Handheld is fine, although FCPX has some image stabilization too that isn't bad -- click on Video in the inspector, scroll down and click on the "Stabilization" checkbox.

And just for fun, here's a NSFW video I shot handheld last month.... enjoy!

(NSFW)

• @RBD

I like it. It gives me a sensation of "clean". She talks, she is never provoking, you go up and down with the camera and you never stress on the sexual parts, you never search for details or hesitate in your camera movements. (excuse my poor english). I see here semplicity as a choice, maybe it don't need more, it has its measure. Simply, i liked it.

• @RBD, let the girl keep a little bit of mystery and the problematic comments would be nil.

• @Jean71 well put, exactly! @CFreak ...this piece isn't about mystery!

• @ahbleza Very nice - lovely to look at and a wonderful innocence. Good and appropriate choice of music too!

• @Mark_the_Harp Thanks for the appreciation! But I wonder if it's "art".... :-)