Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • The problem with judging the camera's moire from random internet videos is that moire depends a lot on the distance from the subject. You can make the GH2 look like moire hell and the 7D great if you shoot them at the right distances.

• With the 14-140mm.

• @Manu4Vendetta find it strange that someone would shoot 720p 5o fps with a gh3. I think the first thing is that everyone would try the 50 fps 1080p to see how it is, so I see it more as a hoax.

• Just announced the 5D MKIII will officially get 422 clean hdmi next year. So that will make the 7D and 5D much more appealing. I've invested heavily into Micro 4/3 but is the GH3 for one going to be able to compete with 422? So far the image out of the GH2 with Canis Majoris Night for example looks so much better than anything I've seen out of the GH3. And really holds up in grading. We need to see something comparable like a music video shot with Zeiss Lenses (as an example) on the GH3. Everything that's been shown so far is just like a home camcorder movie documenting real life. Let's see the GH3 being used for narrative, with lighting and a good grade. I planned to buy a GH3 on launch date but at the moment I'm leaning more and more towards the BMCC. I'm really hoping Vitaily with our support can unlock the true potential of the GH3. With the new Venus Engine we should be able to push it (if the firmware is hackable) quite far, probably more so than the GH2.

• Julian (uploader): Here's a quick video of all the GH3 iso settings. The noise seems to add up as you would expect, didn't notice anything special happening at intermediate iso's for example.

The focus gets sharper because I changed the aperture to compensate for the higher iso. Started at f/4 iso 200, ended at f/22 iso 6400.

YouTube smooths the grain a lot and makes it look more muddy, but it gives an impression.

frame.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    frame2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Things are getting better...

Does anyone know if the GH3 will be offered with a 12-35 in a kit?

• Look at the lighter building behind the big picture in @Amateur screen grab..

• @svart Look at the lighter building behind the big picture in @Amateur screen grab..

Suggesting what? That the building is covered with slate?

The crop is pretty detailed.

• The building is dripping with moire. So we've seen some videos with moire and some without. I'm not sure what is going on here but I think @mintcheerios is on the right track. Seems distance related.

• This is a screengrab from a youtube video, no? If so, we can't really separate camera created moire from what is coming about from youtube's compression.

• There's no way that those screengrabs came from a youtube video. Just look at the resolution of the faces. You tube would have smoothed that out to mush.

• Question: the Video of amateur: Shouldn't the Dynamic Range decrease at higher ISO? But it don't see a Change, i mean, the darker parts don't get black, brighter parts don't get white.

• quote from youtube link: "Original footage, unedited. Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 X lens" that lens is not video friendly... too much distorsion,CA,Vignetting. http://www.photozone.de/m43/766_pana1235f28?start=1

• Panasonic Stores UK confirm November 19th On sale date for GH3. Those stores participating in the training day a week ago are first orders to be fulfilled.

• @svart

Looks like "more yea" to me.

• I'm liking the colours from this camera. It's looking good.

• @DealjagdLtd

Dynamic range is measured from noise floor to highlight clipping. At higher isos dark areas get flooded with noise, thus, the dynamic range recordable by the camera is reduced.

• @Manu4Vendetta

Let's just ignore stupid title made to attract visitors :-)

No one postponed anything, all that we see seems like usual thing with any GHx body :-)

All GHx bodies ship sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

• Not sure if it was posted yet, but I just got to play with the GH3 at the PhotoPlus Expo at Javits Center, NYC. They have the production body but .5 firmware.

• Panasonic Japan has finally announced the Gh3 today: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpanasonic.jp%2Fdc%2Fgh3%2Fspec.html

But it seems it's the same set of info. Nothing new has been added to the (final?) spec.

• @mobileavatar

Are they two years slow? :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev sorry, typo. corrected. :P

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions