Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • gh3iso3200 100crop.jpg
    620 x 465 - 58K
  • The ISO 125 looks good there. The ISO 25,000. Not so much.

• Ahead of our in-depth review, here are 85 full-size sample JPEG photos taken with a final production version of the new Panasonic GH3 compact system camera, including the entire ISO range of 125-25600
    We predominantly used the GH3 with the supplied 14-140mm kit lens, with some additional shots taken with the 35-100mm f/2.8 and 20mm f/1.7 lenses http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_gh3_photos/

• Why oh why do reviewers still insist on taking underexposed wide angle shots at F11 with m4/3s. Oh wait they are so accustomed to shooting full frame that they don't realize that diffraction starts before F11 on m4/3s.

http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_gh3/photos/panasonic_lumix_dmc_gh3_49.jpg

I just wish these reviewers knew the m4/3s system better. M4/3s generally are much sharper closer to wide open than they are closer to the limits of diffraction. Yet you always see images shot at F8.0-F11.0.

• Often these lenses are at the absolute record range of sharpness F4-F5.6.

• What software works for opening GH3 RAW files? Thanks.

• after making analisis of my own, i see GH3 images with more detail over EM5at the same megapixel. ITs my opinion.

Video has more DR. We are not in the 12.4 EV, much more like 11 stops ( +2 stops is software influece the way i see it)

• @ Ralph_B "What software works for opening GH3 RAW files? Thanks."

Try this .. http://rawtherapee.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=30181

• EM-5 vs GH3 (iso sample and video test)

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-vs-panasonic-lumix-gh3-20497

GH3 beast in details / OM-D beats in low light BUT!.. final firmware is not done yet. Let's see ;)

comparaison.png
    688 x 837 - 939K
  • @mpgxsvcd It is true that a lot of these photos are taken beyond recommended settings for the sharpest and cleanest images on m43 but the pictures still look fairly good. I kind of got the impression from the gallery that this reviewer was interested in exploring an architectural "everything in focus" look and he thought that he needed F11.

I had to use an online DOF calculator to confirm that F5.6 would have done the job perfectly but its not something I would have been confident claiming before double checking. I also know that a viewfinder really can't show enough detail to confirm that you 'nailing' focus through the range that you want.

Relevant to this subject of knowing the hyperfocal distance is a really cool feature in the FZ200 that I saw demonstrated in a youtube video last night. The FZ200 has a bar indicator for the focus range which I think is very useful and something I would love to see included in all Lumix cams. Demonstated by Graham Houghton below (Relevant portion starts at 3m35s)

• GH3 = 17.20 mp total / 16.05 mp image (4:3) = 4608(H)x3456(V)

EM5 = ~16.9 mp total / ~16.1 mp image (4:3) = 4608(H)x3456(V)

could be a reason of OM-D's less details?

• @vicx Thanks for the video, consider posting this in the FZ200 thread.

• @vicx

That video was great. Graham did a fantastic job on it. Very informative.

That is most of the problem. These reviewers don't understand m4/3s. They only think in full frame terms(Not just depth of field but also settings). There are also other things wrong though. For instance I wonder if they used the electronic shutter. Shutter vibration is a huge issue for m4/3s. It can even affect wide angle shots. I can't wait to try the electronic shutter for the GH3.

I saw some significant blurring and even double image in portions of the pictures. I am not sure if it was from shutter vibration or diffraction. It would have been nice for them to test that. However, they would have no reason to suspect shutter vibration as an issue if they were accustomed to using a camera with an electronic first curtain shutter.

All of that being said I am not impressed with the GH3's jpg images yet. I simply don't like the noise reduction that they have been using in the images that were posted. Hopefully, using different settings will help. If not then RAW will work anyway.

• Electronic shutter can be good idea if used with PZ lenses that are especially affected from shutter vibrations.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

The 45-200mm was really bad for it as well. I think it has something to do with the IS system trying to correct for the shutter vibration. The IS in my 14-140mm is much better than the IS in the 45-200mm I had. Hopefully the IS will be fixed when I get my 35-100mm F2.8 in a week or so.

• @amateur : Several reasons may arise. Focus. Lens used. JPEG compression. The softer the subject the smallest the JPEG file will be for the same compression.

• From the ephotozine.com review.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3-review-20489

"Video quality is very good, and the camera lets you manually select ISO125 to ISO6400 for videos."

• ETC Mode Test 25p, 72mbps ALL-INTRA

• The retro color style looks very interesting. Compared to the standard profile it seems to preserve a lot more detail in the shadows and on some textures with lower contrast and color saturation. I wonder if it will be available in video mode.

• @mpgxsvcd, did you update the lens FW on the 45-200, that fixed some of the issues. Actually, I find the OIS on that lens works well if you move smoothly when hand panning etc. there is a bit of a nack to it.

• So, here we see that at least this one is made in China.

Really hope that it won't make troubles, concerning still not so good situation ith japanese owned factories in China.

• @mpgxsvcd re. f-stops - I would always try to shoot around f8 as it is usually the sweet spot on most lenses. Obviously it varies from lens to lens (some are better at f5.6) but even at f16 in very bright light on a good lens I have rarely experienced diffraction.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions