Personal View site logo
La7200 distorted image?
  • Hi All. I obtained a la7200 a couple of months ago. Just tried it on my 14—140, it seems that all the images are stretched vertically ,which gave me taller thinner human body. I rotated through it seems that there will be more distortion at other angles. Can someone tell me is that the lens or my possible wrong installation causing the problem. thanks for all your help.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • Stretch the image horizontally in your edit suite by 1.33x. That's what anamorphic lenses/adapters do.

• @amblyopia either you are playing a very stupid joke here or you are stupid.

Sorry, but if you got a LA7200 by dumm luck and don't know how to use it (and don't even bother reading some information up on the internet) - maybe its best to just sell it on this forum here (there is a "Marketplace" in this forum).

• @psyco it was very easy to ridicule, but I thought best to give benefit of the doubt. N00bs need love too :-).

But yes, I suggest the original poster do their homework before splashing around $1000 on a lens in the future.

• This made me really laugh. Oh my god, images are stretched vertically! Sorry, don't want to be rude, but its really funny.

• funny stuff :) if you just wanted a crop, you could have done it in post and even keep the cache on top and bottom for later reframing :)

• lol dude... this is a joke, right?! You bought LA7200 couple months ago and now you are shocked why you see "taller thinner humans" on your screen?

fun stuff man.. fun stuff..

• Come on Guys, help the OP out, he must have got one of those faulty ones that stretch humans. I know a guy who is buying them for like 100$ or so, and keeps them, he needs just those that don't work. If you want to sell it PM me!

• I see what you did there. nifty nifty..

lol...

• ok . thanks itimjim for your kind reply. I actually googled before I posted, but didn't find anything.

and to the other pals here, it seems that you were born with the gift using cameras and lenses before you even first grabbed a milk bottle. or, you are probably so smart knowing how to use any lenses but just don't have the matching talent to make mere several hundreds of dollars to purchase the lens.

this is supposed to be a forum to learn and progress last time I checked. psyco, yes that's the right name. and inqb8tr, yes, my dear premmie, stay warm stay calm, besides faulty lenses, there are faulty minds in this world, some of them are from underdevelopement in the womb and permanently damaged , even little warm boxes won't revive. yes a faulty lens will probably be worth of 100 dollars, but a faulty mind won't even sell for one penny.

• I find it odd that you haven't heard of anamorphic adapters/lenses, and yet got an LA7200. May I ask what you were getting it for?

• @amblyopia: You want to learn about Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR). Once you get a handle on that it will begin to make sense. Factoid: LA7200 is a lens designed to bring widescreen to the fullscreen SD sensor of DVX100, hence the 1.33x compression factor.

Cinema anamorphics are generally 1.75x or more. In front of a full HD sensor (1.78:1) 1.33x brings it to 2.37:1. Pre 70's anamorphic standard was 2.35:1, with 2.39:1 being the standard later on. So it's right there! however, it's a lens designed for SD and it shows.

I've been playing with my own LA7200 just yesterday in front of a sharp Nikon 50mm/f1.8 (no diopter). For wide shots/vistas it's pretty interesting, it adds character so it's worth using if the alternative is a crop from a wide lens. In close quarters however it doesn't look too good (it's soft and has chromatic aberrations in natural light). I understand a 0.4 diopter in front of it would solve most problems, but there's only one square diopter that fits (old LOMO) and it can't be found for love or money.

• hahahaha, good one :)

Listen mate, it was funny that you have a 1k$ lens that you were clueless about obviously, so you were kind of asking for it.

Of course that it's ok to ask and to learn, don't get all upset.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions