Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • Can anyone tell us what is the MP4 Mbps of Blooms download from Vimeo

• @svart It looks to me like the effect is synced to the fan rotation, i.e., like some light is being reflected or blocked by the fan blades. The shadow to the left of the TV stand is where this seems most noticeable; it darkens and then lightens as each fan blade swings past. Then there are a couple of possibilities for why the tint might change: one is that there are different color light sources (either because of source temp or because of what the light has reflected from) and the relative balance is being changed by the fan. The other is that the luminance alone is changing and that the grading or picture style is introducing a "hue twist", similar to many Adobe camera profiles. Anyway it's not obvious to me that it's a codec issue.

• @rigs About the 686Meg MP4 file...I think Philip said its the original uncompressed file from memory.

Anyway its 23.976 FPS, 19.8 Mbps, its 4.2.0 chroma subsampling and its 8 bit.

It looks good, and much better than the previous 1080P version, I would not call it stunning (the quality I mean), but obviously the camera is capable of a lot more. Possibly the higher bitrate was not available on the version of the Camera that they used to do this clip.

So it will be interesting to see what the 72Mbps ALL-I frame quality is like and what the chroma subsampling is.

• @TommiH I think that my views are from someone who is looking at the dslr/hybrid as a whole and just not gh2 users that already know about the gh line. I won't go as far as fanboyism but many times its like this also in the gh2 community. What I mean is that I want the gh line to succeed but not looking through rose tinted glass. The reality is that unless you are really into dslr level filmmakers, people barely know this camera. How many time have I tried to persuade people to buy gh2 compared to a Canon camera and fail even if it was cheaper or about equal to the model they wanted. Now tell me how those gh3 are suppose to sell against $ 300 to $ 600 cheaper canon t2i or Nikon D7000.

Now some in there ivory tower will say, let those fool go to hell. When someday they will be alone then they will see how much money Pana will dedicate to there beloved camera model. I seen many clearly superior technology fail even with dedicated user group like the Amiga computer, how many years did people wait for the Fuji S3, the high dynamic range camera with nikon mount!!!!!!!!

• @azza_act Yes I have been doing just that for the last 7 years, from my Nikon d70 to my new D800. I calculated it to about $ 15 000 between multiple flashes, lens and accessories during those years with prices about 25-30% more in my country. more so that the average salary in my country is like 25% that of the USA. So i would hope that Panasonic also continue to get my money. Or perhaps they don't care about customers like me and prefer the fanboy type.

• Is there any indication that the GH3 retains the Ex-Tele function? I can't find any thing regarding this so far. If they have deleted it...well that's just plain stupid.

• lol @ahbleza if you have money for an AF100, GH2, D800 and a BMCC, i'm sure an extra $1300 shouldn't break your bank.

• Another clue to those that the gh3 live in some vacuum market, I am prepared to bet to see which camera from the gh3 or the Canon 6d will have more coverage tomorrow in the press, blogs and forum.

My felling about the strange leaked gh3 video and the Philip Bloom short movie has to do with the 6d announcement suppose to be on the same date. I think that Pana was afraid that this launch would overshadow the gh3 one. With the 6d and Olympus announcement tomorrow and last week Sony and Nikon. The best was to leak/announce the camera unofficially during this week-end.

• @danyyyel

Don't be afraid. Canon 6D is just another FF camera in the long list. Nothing extra fancy.

• @HillTop1 Yeah, fortunately, I've been able to generate enough business to pay off the costs of all that gear, although I'm selling my D7000 and Olympus PEN to be able to afford the BMCC. While the AF100 is an inferior camera in terms of IQ, it's just good enough for a lot of interviews for web sites.

I'm really conflicted about the GH3 -- I like what I've heard so far, but the GH2 is so awesome with the patches that I can't really justify replacing it yet. I don't need the XLR, weatherproofing or some of the other features when my AF100 or D800 can handle those needs.

• @derek Just saying Panasonic will have a tough time convincing the Best Buy crowd walking into a Best Buy or camera store from ever seeing the GH camera line to begin with when they can get a Sony SLT for HALF the money ($598 body, $698 with kit lens), with similar specs in MP and frame rate.

Consider the summary from DPReview today: "Just Posted: Our review of the Sony Alpha SLT-A57. The A57 replaces the A55 which co-launched Sony's translucent fixed-mirror SLT lineup. While the A57 retains the same 16MP resolution of its predecessor, it inherits an impressive host of features from more recent NEX and SLT models. A 10fps full resolution burst mode, manual focus 'peaking' and class-leading 1080p60 video headline the specs of a beginner-friendly DSLR that, on paper, stacks up very well against the competition. At a street price of $700 with kit lens, is the A57 a compelling alternative for users looking for an affordable and versatile DSLR? Read our in-depth review to find out."

I would love for Panasonic to make major inroads into the mass market in the US, but I don't think this camera will do it, based on these specs in a tough DSLR market and tougher economy. I am hoping they release more bodies soon with MAJOR differentiating features at the price point, so they can gain market share in the US.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev frankly I don't expect anything from Canon anymore, even from a Nikon user that has bought a 7d for video. Sincerely without any fanboyism, I would not like to be a cannon user nowadays. There photo have been more of a rehash of their older 5d2 technology with a better jpeg engine. On the video side the barely if not lower rez 720p video and I am not even talking about uncompressed hdmi output.

• I hope Gh3 is made-in-Japan.

• @bg2b I see the same thing with the GH2. It does this in specific situations, even without motion in the frame. It's most definitely a codec problem. Seems I'll have to make a thread and post some screen grabs.

• Min shutter "1/60"? Lowest ISO "160"? Not very video-friendly for a guy who shoots in bright sun :-(

• From the beginning the GH line was a niche camera. They have been touting the "hybrid" camera line for a while now and in truth they've been doing a good job. They've now decided to move the G5 into the spot that the GH2 used to occupy and the GH3 is now a new more pro level for Pany in this market. NO entry level cam has this level of features, so we aren't talking about entry level but solidly into the Enthusiast range and many Pros in various media.

The fact that Pany went with All I and Timecode in this camera shouts that it's a much more serious about the GH line than ever before. They are well aware of the buzz the GH2 got from the Zacuto Shootouts. Now they have an even better camera with more features that will make it more useful by semi pro and pros. They've perfected their Hybrid branding with the GH3 IMO.

• @Aria

serious about the GH line

Great sales-talk. Panasonic staff or just shareholder? ;-)

• Shutter is 60, not 1/60. No one is that crazy.

• 60 - 1/4000th

As in 60-seconds?

• I'm glad they also made a water sealing and metal body model, i really need it for the tough things (dust, rain, etcetera). I think this is a smart feature, like would be the announced extended better dynamic range. If it will ship (thanks to Vitaly and Nick, and all the other people that make this dream true) a glorious hacked 24p, i'm sold since now ;)

• @goanna, my points weren't sales talk. Perhaps you have a different take on the improvements Pany has made to the GH going from plastic to a Magnesium Alloy body with weather seals. In fact most of the improvements are substantive and would suggest a much more serious approach. What DSLR anywhere near it's price has All I high bit rate internal recording? We are talking about a camera that's under $1,500.00.

I don't understand what seems to be a lot of disappointment being voiced over a camera that seems to be a direct response to many user requests. WE ASKED for most of these improvements!!!

• @Aria

Nope. Just wait and see like most of us.

When I hear manufacturers using words like "commitment", I reach for my hip pocket to keep my wallet just where it was.

• If Blooms original upload to vimeo is as @Astro states " 23.976 FPS, 19.8 Mbps, its 4.2.0 chroma subsampling and its 8 bit" then that is a very compressed rendered version.

Pixel peep all you want, but I would bet the original edit looks allot better then his vimeo rendered version.

• @goanna, this is just a camera. It either fits your needs and wallet or it doesn't. It's not like Pany is looking to defraud or steal from us. They made improvements to the camera and they set a price they think the market will bare. If sales are low they'll have to adjust. I personally compare what this camera offers based on what we know so far and I think it's better than anything in it's price range. If it's not then i'd like to know what is better and cheaper given the build quality and features. As I said many of these changes are exactly the requests i've read users posting for a good while now.

This reminds me of the BMC talk before. A lot of negative comments before we really had the full facts. Bloom was using a pre production model that he admitted had a few issues still. I doubt highly that he had enough time to really learn the camera and get the absolute best out of it. I remember reading a lot of posts on forums about how the GH2 wasn't really better than the GH1. This stuff seems to happen all the time.

• Hahah Aria is right. I am a cheap bastard and it is what I liked about the GH2.

I guess I would like Panasonic to release two cameras. A GH3 and the GH3tt0.

The ghetto version of the GH3 would add the new venus engine and encoder for the high IQ recording but then use the old plastic body and the old VF and LCD to keep the price cheap. While I'm cost cutting I wouldn't mind a kit of four plastic body full manual lumix primes for $1000. They could be rebadged Cheapix and I would still use them without shame if they were sharp and covered 12mm, 24mm, 48mm and 96mm f2 -> f3.2.

I'll still get a GH3 but I would like to buy a few GH3tt0s and a Cheapix lens kit.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions