Personal View site logo
Telescope & GH2 Combination - is it possible??
  • Hi all,

I have looked through the search function and no relevant results come up when I browse for this topic, so here's my new thread:

I am interested in astronomy as well as wildlife and videography/sound recording/film making in general.

Does anyone know if I can connect my new Panasonic GH2 video camera to a telescope such as the Celestron SkyProdigy™ 130 Computerized Telescope, for catering stills and videos of the moon and distant wildlife such as deers, birds etc?

I have seen a number of videos where people have used a telescopic lens in conjunction with the GH2 to film the moon and wildlife. But I am interested to know whether or not it is possible to connect a whole telescope to the GH2...

Thanks.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • My friend has a telescope and some kind of adapter from telescope to eos, probably there is similar thing from telescope mount to m4/3. Basically camera is connected to the place where telescope eyepiece would go.

• @inqb8r ...

Thanks! I wasn't sure quite how this could be achieved, if at all. I guess that if I look into telescope mounts for m4/3, I might find the solution now. Nice one.

• You most definitely can use the GH2 with an astronomical telescope. It appears that the Celestron SkyProdigy has a 1.25 in focuser, so this is what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-T-Mount-Panasonic-AG-AF100/dp/B003EAVUO8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You need both the Fotodiox T-Mount Lens to MFT Micro 4/3 adapter + the Celestron 93625 Universal 1.25-inch Camera T-Adapter.

The only problem you might run into is that the focuser might not have enough in-travel to bring the camera to focus. If this is the case, then it's a no-go.

• @Ralph_B ...

thanks I will look at that link now, sounds great, I hope that the focus will work otherwise like you say it will be rendered useless...

• I hate to sound pessimistic, but most likely the focuser won't have enough in-travel. Wherever you but the adapter, make sure you can return it.

• Hi I've got a télescope skywatcher (mirror 200mm/1000mm focal) on M42 mount and I'm able to focus correctly ,I use the adapter for a Meade astronomy caméra ,it's a M42 on it and short enough to focus correctly with a M42 to MFT adapter,As Ralph_B said you have to try to see if your focuser has enough travel-in ,if not you will have to change for a shorter focuser or MFT adapter (if it missed just a little travel to focus)