Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • Here's pretty much a hodge-podge of footage cut into something that sorta holds together, all shot w/ Flowmotion. Mostly Voigtlander 17.5, Pan/Leica 25, and Nikkor 35. 24p. Just trying for different lighting situations, some landscape shots, talking shots, inserts. Skip ahead the first minute if you don't want to watch the old timey commercials, which are my mood setter I guess. There's also some footage of John Cassavetes intercut, which is obviously not GH2. I've never really learned how to embed a video...

• @lpowell: Interesting comparision. But i think a comparison with 24p would interest people the most. Since that is what most people use.

• Here are unedited 200% crop frame grabs from back-to-back videos taken with a Lumix X 45-175mm f4-5.6 @ 45mm f8, ISO 200. The first was shot with Flow Motion v2.02 and the second with Apocalypse Now 6-GOP 444 Soft. The original downloadable video files can be seen here:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2-100mbps-fast-action-performance-reliability-for-all-class-10-sd-cards/p16

Flow Motion v2.02 @ HBR 1080p30: image

Apocalypse Now 6-GOP 444 Soft @ HBR 1080p30: image

The FM2 video has an average bitrate of 65Mbps with DC quantizers of 6-7, range 5.

The AN6 soft video has an average bitrate of 56Mbps with DC quantizers of 7-8, range 5.

• Going back to the 30 fps issue discussed earlier...(about to apply the hack to v1.1, and I want to use the GH-2 for professional handheld work) it seems clear that at 1080 /24FPS the improvement will be large--24 FPS handheld looked bad on the unhacked camera even with the Panny OIS lens, but I was able to do decent 1080 / 30FPS handheld work recently with an unhacked GH-2 and the new 12-35mm 2.8 lens, using the AF mode a lot. Can I expect improvement in terms of jitter doing handheld at 30 FPS after the hack?

• @ConstantineVanHorne I designed and tested Flow Motion v2 to reliably record and play back in-camera in all video modes, using standard 30MB/sec Class 10 SD cards and higher. For more details on Flow Motion's capabilities, check out the first post in this thread.

• @ConstantineVanHorne . I am using the Flowmotion patch shooting 24H 100Mbit/s with an SD 45 MB/s. I have not had any problems yet.

• @LPowell Please answer a few questions. This is very important. - whether it is possible to shoot in 24H with bitrate 100 Mbit/s with a SD 45 MB/s. - Necessarily buy a SD card with 95 MB/s?
    - And in which case (45MB / s or 95mb / s) can comfortably view the footage in the camera? Thank you.

• @LPowell Any future updates pending for flowmotion? just curious because this is my favorite patch to use and I've been reading about driftwoods new "Apocalypse Now" patch; and driftwood and cbrandin seem to put something good together. Will we be seeing anything like this added to flowmotion? Sorry if I am a bother asking this question, or if I am writing this in the wrong section. Much thanks to LPowell for this awesome flowmotion patch cheers.

• Do stills use the FM2.2 settings? I was playing with the HS Burst mode last evening (with limited success) and the camera loaded with 2.2

• Here is "Flowmotion v2.02" with my Lumix GF2 test, with and without Color Correction. As an experience editor and colorist, I beginning to like my camera and decided not to sell it off... (well, almost did!).

This video comes with download links to all the MTS files used in the video in the decription area of the video, if anyone want to test it out. I'm not sure how long the link will last, but it's there.

Enjoy!

• Here's an unedited comparison between Flow Motion v2.02 and Apocalypse Now 6-GOP 444 Soft:

Flow Motion v2.02 @ HBR 1080p30:

Apocalypse Now 6-GOP 444 Soft @ HBR 1080p30:

Both clips were shot hand-held with a Panasonic Lumix X 45-175mm f4-5.6 @ 45mm f8, ISO 200.

See the post below for unedited 200% frame grabs.

• @exilenorth, thanks, actually we were hoping for more wind as the racers are chasing wind waves to ride. The bigger the better for me, but the fog and mist in the air was causing me some issues with spots on the lens. Salt water spray coming upwards I'm used to handling, but fine mist airborne and coming down is harder to avoid.

I've done this event for the last 3 years and yet to crack a sunny day yet, but that's Summer for you in San Fran.

• @LongJohnSilver Only a tripod set up against my body. No steadicams or rigs.

• @Rambo Well done. It must have been a bit intense as the Bay is always very windy through the gate and then add a bit of choppy water, and what do you get.......

• a work for the 2011 training

• @SightfulProd

You used the correct procedure but if after power cycling the camera you were able to record without formatting the card it means that you do not switched on PAL. NTSC/PAL have a different file system so you cannot record on a card formatted in a different mode. After recording did you check again the "wrench" menu?

Best

• Delete this

Screen shot 2012-08-28 at 4.13.16 AM.png
    421 x 110 - 24K
    Screen shot 2012-08-28 at 4.14.18 AM.png
    454 x 198 - 29K
  • @brettplank very stable shots. What did you use?

Bye

• @Rambo I don't have the bandwidth to play your video right now, but I've been looking forward to it. Thanks for putting it up!

• I finally did a film with my GH2 using LPowell Flow Motion v2.02 Patch. Thanks to Vitaliy Kiselev an LPowell! It is VERY stable. Even at 35 degree centigrade (95 degree Fahrenheit). ;-)

• My latest web based event video from San Francisco shot with GH2, 14-140 kit lens, Flowmotion v2, 1080i FH mode, 29.97fps ( I needed interlaced format for a separate Universal Sports TV project), ND4 on all exterior shots, smooth -2-2-2-2, Senny K6 direct to camera audio, no CC other than a substantial exposure lift in post due to GH2 under exposing ( read as camera operator not used to shooting in gloomy conditions and misinterpreting the GH2 histogram :-) )

Vimeo upload file was only 5Mbps

Grey, foggy day, quite challenging conditions, shot from rear of an open 27ft boat.

• @mozes Thank you, sir.

• @brettplank just place the video url, thats all
    https://vimeo.com/ 48090047without the space

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions