Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • @LPowell The privacy settings were changed. You should be able to watch it now.

How do I properly embed Vimeo videos on this forum?

• @brettplank When I click the link to your video, Vimeo gives me a Permission Denied page with no way to enter a password?

• Sorted! working great. love it

• I finally went out and put some effort into a test shoot. I wanted to see what this camera could do with bad, street-lit urbanscape. I didn't shoot with high ISO; I never went past 2000. (Download original .mp4 file for best quality.)

Password is: gh2

• GH2 w/ Flow Motion v2.02
    • Canon EF Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    • Canon FD 50mm f/1.4
  • @mastroiani Noise is generated by the image sensor and that is not affected by the hack. Nostalgic tends to show more noise than other film modes, you might find the following discussion of interest:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3514/noise-on-gh2-footage-at-iso-160#

• I ran a test today with the FlowMotion patch. Some details in the shots exhibit quite a bit of noise at iso 640. I refer to the noise exhibited on the door in the background.

Did anyone else experience something similar with the patch? Should there be such noise at this iso? I didn't think ISO 640 was too high.

Noise is more apparent if I stop down the aperture.

These were shot using NOSTALGIC film mode, All -2. I wanted the final output to be black and white and I did some grading in Premiere, some noise was gone, but some still remained. Is that normal?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 8.58.01 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 8.58.30 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 8.58.57 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 8.26.28 PM (2).png
    1680 x 1050 - 2M
  • @robtilbury Put the camera in Creative Movie Mode and press the ISO button. If you are able to select ISO all the way up to 12800, the patched firmware has been installed correctly.

The encoder will only use as much bitrate as the scene requires. Maximum bitrates will occur only with well-lit, highly-detailed, and sharply-focused subjects. What counts is motion picture quality, bitrate is only one means to that end.

• I downloaded media inspector, files are only at 21mbps, dont think the hack is installed right. i fail at life! anyone got any pointers?

• @kazuo the original batteries are cheap but only in the us, a sad fact in the electronics (conspiracy)trade...europe is the most screwed in this regard. Even with the cheaper gas a few years back the prices have always been jacked up, due to stupid tax regulations, lack of competition and plain speculation. But there are (al)ways to get around the systems ; ) Back to the batteries , chinese substitutes are gambling with low risk but , crap can happen. And faulty cameras do exist. i got long time ago a konica minlota (made in japan) digital camera and made 5 pictures before it died on me...got it fixed and still works with its mighty 3mpixels! again, hope you get your camera back soon.

• Thanks guys for all the comments. I suspect a couple of things could have gone wrong with my cam: could be an accumulation of lead deposits, as @dailhard, suggested, but I suspect it's something more insidious. Think poorly designed batteries do screw up the internal circuitry and perhaps I am paying for it.

@tinbeo, we are not condemning made in PRC goods here. As @peternap said, the well made ones are really good. But there are many of these ersatz, bad copies that are proliferating in the market, and unsuspecting users like me will get into trouble at some point.

I tried to steer clear of third party bats, but the originals are really too expensive. Maybe now I know why there is a price difference between cheap and original bats.

• @tinbeo As I could say is don't buy made in China if you expect it good and last forever :-)

Actually, I'm losing that concept. I'm finding that well made in China is as good or better than well made anywhere else....and China made junk is just as bad as junk made anywhere else.

A lot of members here aren't old enough to remember this but, after transistors were invented. Japan, which was looked at as a 3rd world country by us arrogant Americans, started making small, inexpensive radios.

We called them cheap Japanese junk.

Many of us turn our noses up at Russian made guns...which are as ugly as a fat lady in Spandex, but they're built like a tank.

• I used third party batteries made of China with the original one since I 'be bought gh2. I also use third party electric adapter sold cheap like $20 if I could remember and never had any problems neither showing warning messages.

It is faulty said the Flow Motion was in camera before it death as a cause . It is not a reasonable cause by using made in China batteries. what other made batteries should we use for a made in china camera any way? Please people; take a look of your bottom camera and see what it made from?

As I could say is don't buy made in China if you expect it good and last forever :-)

• @luxis I too am sorry to hear about the camera. I have two GH2's and load settings daily. FM2.2 is almost always in one camera or the other so I really doubt it was caused by the hack.

I use aftermarket batteries (Wasabi) in all my cameras and have for years. None have ever killed a camera, but as already mentioned, it could be a bad terminal, etc.

Sometimes cameras just malfunction. They always have. I still have two Canon F-1's that I used early on. They are probably the toughest cameras ever made but I had two of them because eventually, one would need servicing. My philosophy has always been "If it ain't broke....it will be" ...usually at the worst possible time.

The good news is from what you describe, it's probably an easy fix. The bad news is that I can't think of a single good thing to say about Panasonic consumer repair.

• this is no doubt going to sound dumb. but how can i make sure the hack is working? loaded the new firmware on etc, how can i check the data rates of my MTS files?

• @kazuo It could be any number of problem. I highly doubt the hack had anything to do with it, as it seems from what your saying. It was running fine, you had just turned it off and left it sitting for a few days. Also, i assume you where using 3rd party batteries? Maybe, your internal battery connection is getting bad... since your getting that message. There is a slight possibility that there is corrosion on the battery leads inside the camera (its possible you can scrap and clean that off the leads). If your using 3rd party batts, maybe one went bad inside your camera... I've gotten that error message every now and then with my 3rd party batteries, but thats usually because they are needing recharging, or they are going bad. But not a result of the camera or hack.

• @kazuo sorry to hear your troubles, but i believe patches have nothing to do with similar situations. It sounds more like a battery one. my understanding is that bad, poorly made with wrong parameters third party batteries can be a real issue-wrong power supply to a sensitive circuit. I did have this message before a few times. On and off cleared it. Yet I try to stay away from them whenever possible, I got a second original one and this covers quite a bit of time of shooting. Hope you get it sorted out and back to live.

• @kazuo Sorry to hear of your bad fortune. I've hacked my GH2 thousands of times with countless versions of Flow Motion and never had a problem. With my GH1, however, I did have a malfunction once after leaving it baking in the sun for an hour. It made a full recovery after cooling off, and here's hoping yours does too.

• My GH2 is dead!!! Left it on the rack after a shoot,then when it was time to turn it on again, the green light wouldn't come on. Tried it with all the batteries I had but the thing remains lifeless.

Before I send it off for resurrection, I have some questions. Was my camera hacked to death? Not insinuating anything here, but Flowmotion was the unfortunate patch last left on my cam.
    @LPowell, pls comment, cheers

Also, anyone else can advise here, do third party bats screw up the internal circuit of the camera? Lately whenever i swapped china bats to original bats, I got the dreaded message "this battery cannot be used". I had to take out the original bat, and then put it back into the catch before the camera started behaving again. I spoke with a friend who is a Canon 5D user, and he told me he experienced similar incidents with third party bats. Anyone cares to comment? Cheers

• Thanks! Will do :))) I actually mistyped - I did install V.2.02. In creative movie mode I can see that there are no ISO restrictions, so I presume that means the camera is hacked. Thank you very much for all your work!

• @mastroiani You're off by a digit. Try downloading Flow Motion v2.02 from the first post in this thread. That's the most current version.

The only thing you're doing wrong is focusing on bitrate rather than motion picture quality. Leave the bitrate to the patch, the rest is up to you.

• UPDATE: I also tried installing DRIFTWOOD patch Cluster V6 Nebula and the bit rate seems even lower... Again, I had no problems with the installation itself... I have a shoot coming up this Friday and was hoping to use one of the patches. Please help. Thanks

Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 12.30.28 AM.png
    1117 x 636 - 415K
  • Hello, could please anyone help me? I just updated my camera with FM v.2.01. The whole process went as it was supposed to. Then I formatted my SDHC card and recorded roughly 8 minutes of 24H footage. But the resulting file is quite small: 1.35gb. Then I checked the bitrate while playing the file and saw that it's only 22Mbit/s. Am I doing something wrong? I thought the bit rate was supposed to be much higher? Which step did I mess up? Thanks a lot.

Screen Shot 2012-08-21 at 11.49.21 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • The card's been formatted but I always copy it on to the hard drive. I'll just copy it back and then break it up for you. I didn't know I could break them up smaller than 4 gig,

It was recorded in 1080p-24

• @peternap 45 minutes is a long take, which video mode did you use? If possible, could you load the SD card back into the GH2 and use the Playback menu to divide it into segments? That would preserve the original AVCHD encoding within a series of shorter MTS files. I'd be most interested in the initial minute of footage, and in the section that shows the sun dipping below the horizon and its immediate aftermath.

• @LPowell As soon as I get somewhere I have a good connection, I'll upload the file. Where would you like me to put it? Here is a frame from earlier and from the very end of the video:

before sunset.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    sunset end.png
    1920 x 1080 - 530K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions