Personal View site logo
Official Nikon Hacks, D7000, D7100, D3100, D3200, D5100, V1, V2, J1, D4, D800 and Nikon Tool
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • Hi ,Vitaliy_Kiselev , Does your Ntool support D800 FirmWare ? I hacked D5100 battery authentication several days ago ,D800 will be next one.

• I really hope the D600 is going to be hacked

• Interesting proposal from @jacdan regarding timelapse issue.

From my point of view, I'm very curious if the time limit removal will be possible for nikon D600. Are there any hopes for that? Is it possible to donate to make that easier to investigate?

I'm using my gh2 a lot, but vert glad there is some work going on with other brands aswell :) Thanks for all the efforts!

• thank you Vitaliy_Kiselev and good luck

• @octoberqueen No, the D5100's exposure settings haven't yet been hacked. But check out the third post in the thread below for a technique that enables you to manually set both aperture and shutter speed and lock them down for video recording:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/1195/nikon-d5100-compared-to-panasonic-gh2/p1

• Is it possible to hack Nikon D5100 firmware in any way to enable manual exposure settings in video recording?

• Nope, it is not dead.

I'll update hacks as soon as I'll have time.

• I'm with mikus, has the idea been crushed? I own a d7000 and half tempted to sell it. If it was to be hacked I may reconsider.

• hello what about the hack of the nikon d7000 is dead ????

• Read through all posts here and curious that there's no mention from anyone else and given Vitaliy's interest in post production, for changing the automatic bracketing from Nikon's consumer standard of 3 frames to their "pro" only standard of 9 frames. Can't shoot HDR lightprobes for VFX with only a bracket of 3 frames and changing it to 9 or like Canon's "pro" standard of a bracket of 15 seems like it should be a trivial hack to the firmware?

• I'm hoping to find a way to enable shorter periods of time for the Monitor-Off Delay which automatically turns off Live View after a certain period of time. Currently, the shortest duration for the D800 is 5 minutes - Canons by comparison go down to 1 minute delays. Since its simply modifying a timer, I would imagine that if there are hacks available to firmware for the D800 this wouldn't be all that difficult. No real new feature or anything overly complex aside from creating/decrypting the firmware.

My reason for wanting this is that I have underwater housing built for a D300 which fits the D800 perfectly. I can turn video record on/off by changing the shutter release button function via custom settings menu, however I have no way of accessing live view on/off control. The Monitor Off Delay is a solution, aside from the fact that I have to wait 5 minutes (burn a ton of battery) for the live view to turn off. If I could lower the delay duration for the Monitor-Off delay, using the one button I have access to (shutter release) I could turn on live view, start record, stop record, then let live view turn off on its own.

Anyone have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it!

• Vitaliy_Kiselev,

The D800 has a major disadvantage right now with time-lapse photography, as it generates flickering (aperture inconsistency). On Canon bodies, one can use a "lens twist" hack in order to lock the aperture. But there are no solutions on Nikon bodies. You can read more about these issues here: http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20120703_1-NikonD800-aperture-control.html

I am wondering though, would it be possible through a firmware hack to lock the aperture? Like a disengage mode? Meaning you set your camera to M, but the camera does not "reset" the aperture between each shot, but instead stays locked in.

That would be a huge improvement, and allow the D800 to be useful with time-lapse. Ironically it has excellent time-lapse functionality in the firmware, but the results are useless due to this flicker (change in light due to inconsistency in the aperture).

PS: You rock.

• Hey All,

we use d7000's as our primary video camera (currently have 4). we are starting to do a lot of live streaming, and it would be simply amazing if we could ditch some of the text/symbol output from the hdmi output. I have already bought one d800, just for the hdmi out, but if we could figure out how to hack it, I would buy beers for everyone. otherwise I have to buy 3 more d800's ($$$!). What exactly do the 'text' patch do, is it this feature? chris.

• @ochaze

Got it. Normally it is quite easy to do, just shoot raw and use good raw software with batch capability.

• I mean the D5100 for example is able to take a photo in white&black and with one color. example : http://www.justourpictures.com/roses/imgs/4_barkarole_bwP0027.jpg

This effect is a little bit painful to do manually with a photo editor software.

• By anychance do you know if it possible to get the selective color filter on D3100

What do you mean?

• Hi all,

By anychance do you know if it possible to get the selective color filter on D3100 ? Would be so great...

Cheers,

• I would. For the D800 the only useful hack other than than the time limit removal would be being able to record internally while still having a clean uncompressed 1080 HDMI output. Vitaliy would definitely need a D800 body for that one. Most of the limitations of the D800 are hardware based (8bit HDMI, etc) not software based.

• @Brian202020 Yes, that's what I mean about the limited hack potential of Nikon DSLR's. I successfully used NTool on my D5100 to increase its max recording duration beyond 20 minutes, but that's about all that can currently be hacked. For such a limited improvement, I wouldn't risk hacking a $3000 D800.

• Vitaliy already mentioned according to the recent D800 firmware the current Nikon hacks, like no recording limit, could be easily implemented. I wouldn't think a D800 body would be needed.

• @Brian202020 - Perhaps not long after some generous reader donates a D800 to Vitaliy's cause?

The hackability of DSLR's (and the Panasonic AF100) is very likely limited by the hardware-assisted nature of their built-in AVCHD/H.264 encoders. Unlike Panasonic's G-series cameras, which use encoders implemented completely in firmware, other DSLR's typically rely on hardware-based encoders that may be configured to operate only at specific fixed bitrates.This is why the GH2's unhacked AVCHD software encoder cannot match the quality of Canon and Nikon H.264 encoders at low bitrates. However, that's also what makes the GH2 supremely hackable, and capable of delivering far more detailed video images than the encoders of other DSLR's.

• When can we expect the new ntool with D800 support?

• @matt1128 I'll have to check. I'll shoot a few full length clips tonight and check the frame count in FCP or Premiere. My guess is that you're correct though if there are differences in file size. These are my 2nd and 3rd bodies for shooting but It would be nice to get these bodies a little more useful and less scary to use while shooting weddings.

• Of course! Thanks VK :) You da man.

• I think it is related to maximum file size - 4GB.

@1ricca VK is essentially correct, although the limit is actually closer to 3.5GB for reasons unkown at the moment.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions