Personal View site logo
Nutrients for Better Mental Performance ( videos and reads )
  • Hello.

Since Vitality make a thread about food costs in US. I thogut it would be interesting to make a new one about the importance of nutrition. Since we are in an age of chemicals, and junk food, its very important to maintain good nutrition to our brain. @subco mentioned something important in the us food cost thread. He invests in good food, and it should be a real requirement for moder society, since we are sorrounded by shity food, and getting every time more further from our real natural way of eating.

There are interesting articles about the "PALEOLITIC DIET" and how it was the one that last longer in our evolution, even more than the agricultion era. In paleolitic times, there was no weat, soybean, and generall grains. Thats why there is so much people with celica desease (Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder triggered by eating gluten) and soy bean or even peanut!!

The food pyramid that we all learn is chool should be downsided, inverted, as the goverment keep us uninformed even doctors dont know about it. Please take a little of your time and invest in good knowlege, since you eat every day.

Please feal free to post important data for better nutrition and brain performance.

Paleolithic diet.

http://www.aces.edu/dept/extcomm/newspaper/june1a01.html

"Today, humanity depends on only about 100 crops for 90 percent of the food supply. Our paleolithic ancestors, by contrast, consumed a much wider variety of plant micronutrients derived from a plant supply that was equally as diverse."

"The absence of antibiotics, coupled with the accident-prone nature of the hunter-gathering lifestyle, meant very few paleolithic humans lived to age 60 only about 9 in 100, by some estimates. Nevertheless, those who survived likely were impressive physical specimens, free of heart disease, hypertension and diabetes that plague so many moderns in old age"

Here is a VERY important video.

Brain performance drugs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • I've tried this diet and it works. It's not really a weight loss thing, although that's often the result. I agree with the majority that this diet does indeed sharpen your mental focus and concentration. There are many variations on it, some strict, some not so much. I also lost my sugar craving, sweets lost their appeal but other foods started tasting better.

Also, Newsweek recently had a big article on how all the stuff about the food pyramid is crap. Wheat and starchy foods and especially sugars are allegedly, at least for now, believed to be way worse than previously thought.

• Our paleolithic ancestors, by contrast, consumed a much wider variety of plant micronutrients derived from a plant supply that was equally as diverse."

The absence of antibiotics, coupled with the accident-prone nature of the hunter-gathering lifestyle, meant very few paleolithic humans lived to age 60 only about 9 in 100, by some estimates. Nevertheless, those who survived likely were impressive physical specimens, free of heart disease, hypertension and diabetes that plague so many moderns in old age"

I see huge logical issues here.

May be we could rephrase this that due to bad and improper food, people rarely survived past 40.

likely were impressive physical specimens, free of heart disease, hypertension and diabetes that plague so many moderns in old age

Last time I checked it is more like 70-90 years old who have most of this things in countries with good food supply.

So, this guys just had been younger so their systems had been not so damaged.

• Last time I checked it is more like 70-90 years old who have most of this things in countries with good food supply.

But the issue at hand is what constitutes a good food supply. In my lifetime, all the science and faith healers alike have never stuck with a consistent story. Looking at the Paleo diet from 30,000 feet, the logic and premise are sound: Agriculture is an invention of the last 10,000 years -- a short time frame in an evolutionary sense. Our physiology didn't evolve with agriculture thus we are poorly suited to process agriculturally based food and we're much better off eating the things our hunter/gatherer ancestors ate.

This is good advice for all you hackers as it's common knowledge all of you subsist entirely on pizza and coke.

• THis is a fact, some of the worst degrading neurotransmiters is SUGAR. And this comes mainly from weat in the mayority of foods, making people more prone to mental illness, and low attention and memory deficit. Thats why there is an increse in mental disorders in the last 30-40 years. Huge profit for pharmaseutical companys, make us belive that our food consumption is right, keeping us weak, and sick. "Its so easy jut make them eat shit, they will stil live and work so they can pay us buying medicines"

About the rephrase on improper food, you are mainly right @vitaliy, though the main theme here is the correct nutrition. On those ages people where less healthy cos there was no calefaction, proper hygiene, and even doors to make people secure.

@brianluce The paleolithic diet, it actually makes you feel really better, but there are so many variations on it. Fortunately i live in Perú where we eat healthy food no chemicals. BUT lots of shugar from too much fruit.

I think thats why in the ecuatorial line there is no developed countrys, and im not joking.

• lol!!!! @brianluce

"all of you subsist entirely on pizza and coke"

its true for most computer aimed people.

• THis is a fact, some of the worst degrading neurotransmiters is SUGAR. And this comes mainly from weat in the mayority of foods, making people more prone to mental illness, and low attention and memory deficit. Thats why there is an increse in mental disorders in the last 30-40 years.

Do you have any scientific publications links with proven statistics about this?

I have big doubts about this, as sugar is necessary for high brain activity.

• If you could see the video i post about it you would undestand. But last like an hour. I will post links about this issue. Sugar in diabetic people causes some times insanity. It is well known issue.

here are some articles @vitaliy

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/this-is-your-brain-on-sugar-ucla-233992.aspx

"Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think," said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a professor of integrative biology and physiology in the UCLA College of Letters and Science. "Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain's ability to learn and remember information. But adding omega-3 fatty acids to your meals can help minimize the damage."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/16/sugar-makes-you-stupid-ucla_n_1521812.html

"The two researchers devised an experiment in which they trained a group of rats on a complicated maze twice a day for five days. After that, they split the rats into two groups. They gave both groups of rats a high-fructose corn syrup solution in place of water, but one of the groups was additionally given flaxseed oil and docosahexaenoic acid (known more commonly as DHA) -- two high-quality sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to protect against neural damage. "

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gerganakoleva/2012/05/17/binging-on-sugar-weakens-memory-ucla-study-shows/

"Rats that did not receive omega-3s and drank regular water instead of fructose also did better than the ones that were given only the latter as their drinking option."

• Do you have any scientific publications links with proven statistics about this?

There's a lot. But none of the studies say "Don't eat sugar". They say "We eat way too much of it." And probably none of the research is going to give proof with certainty, since ultimately science hasn't figured it out yet. But for sure, this isn't the stuff of Vegan mystics.

May 14 issue of Newsweek had a big cover story on obesity that discusses excess sugar in diet.

• That's one of my favorite video bloggers, or used to be since she doesn't write about that much anymore. One thing she did start writing about was her health problems and how going Paleo cured quite a few of them. Irritable bowel, mild hair loss, sensitive teeth, depression, were the main things I remember that got better since she switched to Paleo. She would get IBS almost daily and after 3 months on Paleo, it dropped to once a week at most.

Problem is, like any serious diet, it's so much work. Making your own bone broth to drink daily to have the nutrients in the bone marrow, making custom side dishes like cauliflower mashed potatoes instead of regular potatoes or instant. No bread. But for her, it was that or serious medications that weren't working for her properly, so the Paleo is better and cheaper than the doctor bills.

Most people, though, could probably just "eat right" and not worry, but even eating right is work. It's so much easier to order a pizza or take out/drive thru. I've been dieting for 5 months or so and only lost around 30 lbs, but I'm at that age that things are starting to slow down and I took a break last month from the diet and quickly put back on 10 lbs.

It all takes time and effort, no easy way around it, and I can't afford liposuction....sigh.

• Eugenia got me on the Paleo actually. Here's the thing to remember at Paleo: there are many versions requiring varying levels of discipline. Here's a basic lazy version: Eat as much as you want as often as you want but try hard to avoid milk products, candy, breads, noodles, rice, and potatoes.

You can substitute sea kelp noodles for regular noodles and eat corn tortillas as well.

• According to paleodietlifestyle.com, white potatoes are ok to eat and are quite nutritious. http://paleodietlifestyle.com/are-white-potatoes-paleo/ I eat mostly Paleo, and eat plenty of potatoes in cold weather because my body craves a lot of starch in winter months. And I think potatoes are the healthiest option for starches over bread, noodles, pasta, and even whole grains. And they're incredibly cheap.

And if you eat a high-fat diet (healthy fats like olive oil, animal fats, butter, coconut oil) and include a moderate amount of protein in each meal, you will not feel hungry between meals. I've noticed I snack much much less than I used to since I started eating Paleo and I have far fewer sugar cravings and cravings to binge on junk food.

• 10,000 years is actually an incredibly long evolutionary period to adapt to a new form of eating. Surely over just 5-10 generations, those that could not handle the new agricultural foodstuffs failed to pass on their genes (either through death or more likely just failure to flourish and create lots of surviving progeny) significantly diminished their numbers compared to those who could take advantage of a vital new food source. This is why, for example, a rather small mutation like the ability to process lactose beyond infancy quickly spread throughout whole populations so that most people of European descent now possess it. The bulk of our ancestors were no doubt highly adapted to eating agricultural crops (except perhaps for descendants of indigenous populations). So the chief argument that most people make for the paleo-diet is specious.

That said, the average American diet is so poor in nutrients, variety, and macronutrient profile and so full of unhealthy additives that adopting a paleo diet is a giant step forward for most Americans compared with the junk they previously ate. There are certainly some positives to the diet but avoiding negatives like high processed sugars and flours is where most of the gains come from. What's often referred to as the Mediterranean diet--with its focus on vegetables, lean meats, and healthy fats--is arguably the healthiest of the common diet regimens.

• The Secrets of Sugar

A small but influential group of medical researchers is stirring up the health debate, linking sugar not just to rising obesity rates but also to a host of diseases including cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer’s.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2013-2014/the-secrets-of-sugar