Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • @CurtisMack I would suggest after using the SDFormatter, you need to format again using the camera. Then format with the camera periodically after using the camera. How often? Depends on how much you used it. I do mine about every third outing. Then I also suggest using the SDFormatter occasionally. I use it about every 3 months.

• I have been using FM2.02 for a month now in two GH2s (one Japanese, one Australian). One is used entirely underwater in a Nauticam housing. Cards are Sandisk 64Gb 95Mb. To date, the cameras have not missed a beat. Detail and general quality are superb. Thank you for a great patch.

• I should have added that all video is in HBR mode.

• @CurtisMack As you discovered, with high-bitrate patches it's important to guard against SD memory card fragmentation. However, using the trash button to delete video clips will not necessarily keep the card free of fragmentation. I'd recommend using the GH2 to reformat the SD card before each important shooting session.

• @LPowell I've noticed that FM2.2 seems to cut haze distortion over water better than any of the other settings I've tried Lee.

It doesn't make any sense to me why it would, but it seems that way time after time. Is this my imagination or is there some basis for it.

• Why would I get heavy banding in overcast skies with the Flowmotion patch at FH 1080 60i and not with EOSHD 44Mbit Vanilla patch at 1080 60i? Hope it is a simple setting I messed up on.

Randy

• @LPowell - It is not at all clear that the problem is or was fragmentation. The two 45mb/s cards were problematic from day one, one more than the other. Previously, I formatted them in camera before each use, with no improvement. Based on my experience in enterprise support, it is entirely possible that the problem was a process error during manufacture, of which Sandisk was unaware because their clueless support people are so busy pushing back that they cannot send bad news upstairs. As far as best practice moving forward is concerned, my instincts are the same as yours and RockHunter's - format, not delete, but my experience with in-camera formatting has not been good. I am perfectly willing to sacrifice principle for a good result. As a practical matter, the only time I clear a card in the field is when testing - for real work, everything gets moved to disk before I clear the card, in which case SDFormatter is available.

• Have asked again but i am really interested.... Love FM 2.02 but is it possible to shoot anamorphic with it? I just bought myself a Kowa 2X anamorphic lens and looking foreword of playing with it. Can i do so with FM?

• @Cavemandude To minimize banding high bitrates are sometimes required. Rather than using Flow Motion's 60Mbps FH video mode, I'd recommend trying its 100Mbps FSH mode.

• I have a GH2, with a hack, my friend installed. I wanna install this new patch. Since I have absolutely not idea, how to go about with installing a patch, could someone tell me, step by step. I have a card reader, on my laptop. Do I still need any other device, for installing the patch? Also, could you Please tell me, in very simple steps, how to go about with things. Thanks in Advance

• For my purposes, I can't use 100Mbit. With the same scene, I don't have a banding problem with the 44Mbit patch and it was around 30Mbit when playing back just like the Flowmotion patch was using the FH setting. I was just wondering why would there be banding with Flowmotion patch and not the other patch at the same data rate. There was a significant difference.

Randy

• @Cavemandude I'd be interested to examine a sample of your original GH2 footage if you can make it available for download?

• I spent the day in the swamp today. Terrible light but it FM 2.2 did fine, Color ghears and you tube,=.

• @peternap Excellent job in difficult back-lit exposure situations. I'd be interested to examine some of your original GH2 footage as well - YouTube's compression pretty much obliterates the fine details.

• I read somewhere that flowmotion would allow me to have immediate in-camera playback and allow me to cut down or turn off the AGC via the Pasadena settings. Is this true?

Basically, I am looking for a stable patch that provides a high bit rate and the ability to directly playback in cam without the need to switch it off first. I am also wanting to implement the Pasadena sound settings.

I am more interested in stability and direct playback than push the camera to its limits. As far as the sound hack goes I am just trying to limit or eliminate the Automatic Gain Control (AGC).

• @Mckinise Yes, Flow Motion v2 AVCHD videos will play back directly in-camera, and it includes Per Lichtman's Pasadena Pulse Audio Patch V2 B2. For more details and download instructions, see the first post in this thread.

• Thanks @LPowell I will check it out.

• @L1N3ARX "Having fun grading some flow motion V2.02 footage. Trying to go for an organic film-like look here."

Both videos look great! It's almost a better look than film IMO. Organic, yet hyper-real. What lenses are you using here?

Edit: Oh ok, Simga 30mm 1.4... just looked at the vimeo description. That's my "go-to" lens on the GH2 as well. Love it.

• @wilcovdakker Yes, you can combine anamorphic MJPEG settings with the AVCHD settings in Flow Motion v2. Here's a link to a downloadable PTool patch file for the anamorphic version of my GH2 100Mbps MJPEG Low Light Patch:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/479/gh2-mjpeg-100mbps-low-light-1080p-settings/p1

• Sorry for the delay in production, but I finally updated the first post at the top of this page with a video comparison between the AF100 and Flow Motion v2. What was challenging was matching the AF100's dynamic range and color balance to the GH2. While I'm not completely satisfied with my settings, I think it's close enough to judge the motion picture quality of the two cameras. I'm actually quite pleased with the GH2 color balance:

Smooth Film Mode: -2, -2, -1, -2

Sunlight White Balance: A-4, M-4

On the AF100, I used CINE-V gamma and the NORM2 matrix. While I like the look, I think it has a bit more contrast than the GH2 in Smooth Film Mode. As expected, AF100 details aren't as sharp as the GH2 using Flow Motion v2. I'd like to see how much I can sharpen the AF100 before noticeable aliasing sets in...

Here it is again, AF100 on the left, Flow Motion v2 on the right:

• What was the shutter speed Lee?

• Lens: Leicasonic 14-50mm f2.8-3.5

ISO 200; f6.3; 1/60 sec

• Wow... is that seriously what the AF-100 looks like? It looks like my iphone, no joke.

• @LPowell what resolution setting and master ped setting did you have on above shot?

• Thanks for doing this Lee. I'm considering an AF-100 and this is a good example.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions