Personal View site logo
Image shift while focusing with FF
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • @Greek_m43 : You should check the Lanparte Baseplate listed on the deals, very very good quality, and comes with two 30cm rods. You seem to have a decent tripod, but don't forget that the stiffness of the legs and head is the key to get stable shots.

• @krotal how would it fit everything with that screw on the front of the rig? Everything is really compact with the FD lens setup.

• @Greek_m43 : I use legacy lenses like yashica ML 50mm that are very similar to FD lenses (in size) and everything fit well on the 30cm rods. I can send you some picture if you want to get an idea.

• @krotal that would be great. PM them to me so we don't clutter this thread. Photos of my rig are above for reference.

• Now my image shifting problems had disappear I noticed some vibrations when pulling focus, do you think using a whip can eliminate the vibrations ?

• @krotal are you using a lens with IS on? Try turning it off when operating on tripod/FF.

What is the nature of the vibrations anyway, please elaborate?

• @mo7ies : I'm not using any IS, the vibrations come from my hand and the torque I apply to the FF. Basically all the movements you do with your hand aren't 100% steady, i think that's the nature of the vibrations.

• Get a heavy/steady tripod/plate/rails.

Other than that, sure all the vibrations will transmit to your optical system, and will be more noticeable on long (telephoto) end.

• Okay, I was planning to buy one of the good tripods listed on the deals, because mine is really bad. May be i'll have to weigh it down with sandbags. I thought a whip can eliminate the vibrations but without a good base (i.e tripod) it seems useless.

• I think it's also important to secure the camera from top, because the plastic camera body is flexible by itself.

top_secured.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 2M
  • @tonalt True. In your setup, one can also place Varavon Lens Support upside-down on the top rails.

BTW, is there just one side bracket on the left? If so, the system might still have too much flex in it. May I suggest a cage with at least two side brackets, either on the same side or opposite each other.

• Wow thats what i call a Rig looks like a Transformer or somthing you have to wear after breaking your leg. Whats the weight of it ?

• @mo7ies yes there is just one, luckily I have one more. But it's tricky to place them correctly and at the same time get access to SD-card, open display to left, enough space for FF etc..

I knew there was a reason to order multiple gini rigs.. I got enough parts to build the ultimate rig ;)

• @Craig_R too much to use in shoulder rig. It's for tripod use only and it's not yet finished :) I have much lighter setup for shoulder rig.

EDIT: And the idea is to create stable and generic setup as possible, so the same parts can be used with different cameras in future.

• I finally bought a very "decent" tripod kit, Manfrotto 504HD + 535K Carbon Fiber legs. Very pricey but I chose to only buy one good tripod, not 3 or 4 until I find something decent... I'm very happy with it, the shakes while pulling focus are only noticeable on ETC mode, panning and tilting are smooth.