Personal View site logo
Varavon Loupe EX GH1/GH2 , reviews, impressons
  • 110 Replies sorted by
  • I can highly recommend the Varavon EX Loupe GH1/2. Good looks & quality, high value for money and very fast shipment to Europe! The loupe would also fit on the G3 if you drill another hole in the supporter.

• @Rambo, just got one of these and may be able to give you some stuff on the diopter. I use reading glasses and for me things start getting blurry at 85cm and closer. Not to scientific sorry but hope that helps. With the diopter knob at the half way adjustment point I get perfect focus. Overall its plasticky but strong, with really good metal fittings for attaching the loupe to the camera so I have no fear of breaking off the LCD screen. Definitley assists focus.

• I have a cheap viewfinder, not Varavon but still no good for my vision. So I got a separate 1-diopter filter out of its casing and fit it inside the viewfinder.

• @theteddy How are you focusing? I'm just using the display info as a target but that's not really precise.

• @peternap , yes,that is what I was doing. Whats the best way do you think ?

• @theteddy I'm not sure. Since I almost exclusively use primes, checking it with autofocus is out. I have used the focus assist and the camera to focus on a tree or something nearby, then set the diopter...that takes time though and since you can't lock it, I like to be sure it's right every time I use it.

• @peternap, All I do is turn on the menu/set button and use the on camera diopter (dial on left side of viewfinder) to adjust to my eyesight. Put the loupe on and adjust the diopter on that. Yes the diopter knob can be easily moved but you could put a white marker dot where you need it or tape it place. I only use primes as well, but you can use autofocus with lumix and olly m 4/3 lenses. Also I use the rear dial with my FD primes. Press the button in and you get focus assist. It's a bastard having crap eyesight dont you think !

• @kazou "And all that rubbish about pixelation, am not sure what the user was looking at, or through which tinted glass."

don't mislead people. It may be the SHARPEST IMAGE that you have experienced, but there is def pixelation!! just state the facts.

i have used mine a lot more recently and am becoming more and more used to focusing with it. wouldn't shoot without it now.

• It's a bastard getting old. First the eyesight, then the hearing.

• Just got mine in the mail and all I can say is that it's an awesome little piece of equipment and makes the rig look and feel alot better. I have one question for everyone that has purchased one so far? Are you able to use a FF with it and not move the whole damn unit? As much as I tighten it down, I can see the whole camera moving on top of the supplied baseplate. Completely unusable with a FF unless I'm missing something or someone has a solution. I'm sure there's an answer out there.

• It would seem to me that if you were using a Lumix lens, you could use the AE Lock and then adjust the diopter to your eye. Then, from then on you should be able to pull focus knowing that as long as you don't shift the diopter ring, everything should be fine. Makes sense, right?

• @tcarretti Was that for me?

• The pixelation is so marked on the GH2 screen, that it should be very obvious when your diopter is correctly focused. If not, just open the menu and focus to that. Easy.

• the menu trick sounds like a great idea for setting the diopter

• Was looking to buy one, does the LCD support bracket stop you using the HDMI and MIC sockets??

• @galvoguru Pretty much. You need to find a right angle hdmi to make it work. Also, you can't angle the unit that high if you want to use the loupe.

Also, does anyone else experience the severe movement when using a FF with this unit?

• Thanks for that, pity the sockets aren't on the other side. Was considering the Zacuto EVF until I saw the Varavon...

• Had an extended session with the Varavon Loupe I picked up here and it's great. Now all I need is a new GH3 with a retina LCD! Very sturdy and makes the camera look uber pro. Not a lot more I can add to the other posters. It's a well made piece of kit. Thanks Vitaliy for organising these deals. You are a champion.

• thanks Vitaly for creating the discount for this and other products. The varavon is excellent for a number of reasons: focus, lcd privacy, camera stability with rigs. Be careful however, on a sunny day the diopter can cause your lcd to burn. Keep the viewfinder cup covered when not shooting.

• I would like to use this with my left eye. Can the eye cap be rotated to fit the left eye? Thanks!

• @Peter123456 yes the rubber eyepiece can be rotated.

• Who knows, can be used Varavon Loupe EX with GH3, it seems, there is enough to change LCD support bracket ? And how you can use this Loupe , if on GH3 will stand battery grip?

• Same doubts for me, maybe @driftwood can answer us..

• Conversation with driftwood from wrong topic, moved here:

"Hardware 'review' question.. Anyone with a new GH3 also own a Varavon Loup EX? Am assuming with larger body, these Loupes won't work on the GH3.. Can someone confirm?"

"@jules I'd assume that the Varavon would work with it - the 'larger' body of the GH3 isn't that much larger (without battery grip) and the display dimensions are roughly the same - you have the GH2/GH1 version?"

"@driftwood yes, have the GH1/2 version. Am sure the actual loupe part will still fit on the LCD, as that is pretty much the same size.. But there are a couple of supports struts on the baseplate of the loupe that jut up... i was thinking that if the dimension of the GH3 from bottom screw to the edge of camera is longer then these support struts may now prevent attachement of the base plate. "

• @jules I Just picked up my GH3 and Varavon Loupe EX but will be at work for a few hours (finishing show for air). When I get a moment I will give it a test and report back. I am hoping it does work as it would be awesome with the higher rez LCD.