Personal View site logo
Making GH2 the ENG camera
  • 35 Replies sorted by
  • I'm very surprised, I didn't think an SD VF would be any use for focus...

• Yes, Standard definition Y signal (so same the normal Digibeta camera would have gotten). Offcourse a zacuto or smallhd evf is a good option as well. This viewfinder is suitable for focussing and setting up your shot, however offcourse for colour you need to watch your GH2 screen..

Infact, the BVF-20WCE (Which I have) has 600 lines of resolution according to Sony. The HDVF-20 (HD 2" viewfinder) has 600 lines of resolution as well..

• @FW200 .. that is sooooo .. retro cool

• Is the VF using composite video, standard definition?

• I think I can post my rig here as well.. Seems like what you are looking for, maybe you can use it as inspiration: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/FW200/GH2Fuji8.jpg

• Sorry I meant 50 FIELDS a second!

• Hi, I also use the manual 50i mode BUT the camera switches to auto ISO setting, it switches to auto ISO in ALL modes (when shooting video) except when in movie mode (but you can't shoot 50i in movie mode). Because you're shooting in manual mode and it's 50i there isn't any strobing (50 frames/second), but in progressive mode and 24P there are strobing problems, lots of people on this forum have discussed this point and Vitaliy is sick of people commenting about it, but I shoot video for a living and the strobing issue IS a problem, it's far worse than my full size Sony DSR-450 camera, not only that, the strobing effect seems to alter with lighting conditions. I use a shutter speed of 1/25, this gives the smoothest motion, anything higher and you start to get the 'plastic video' feel to motion, when shooting video with regular ENG cameras you don't have the shutter switched at all (only to cure frequency issues with monitors or lights, or of course because you need to get the shutter effect...). This is the item number (ebay) 260874837695 for the adaptor, it arrived yesterday and I've already done a little testing. Firstly the quality of the adaptor is very good, it's made to industrial standards and the quality is like what you would expect from film industry quality components, very good. It's fits the camera and video lens perfectly and this makes the whole set-up look very professional, you wouldn't be dissapointed if you buy one... My initial results from the first recordings are subjective, the weather yesterday was crap, very dull and not good for testing, BUT a couple of issues I picked-up are, 1; if the iris is FULLY open the image resolution drops (but close the aperture a little and it sharpens-up). 2; there is some chromatic distortion when you throw off the focus on bright high-lights, having said that I get the same thing when the lens is used on full size 2/3" ENG camera. I think we should also consider that the GH2 automatically corrects for chromatic lens errors when using the 'stock' supplied lenses (I have the cheap 14-42mm). From a resolution point of view the initial results using my Canon J9 x 5.2mm Wide angle lens are good, but like I said the weather didn't help yesterday. The image does stay in focus all through the zoom range but of course you must adjust the back focus on the lens first. I also tried the lens with the 2x extender switched OUT but enabled the ETC mode on the GH2, the results looked fine with no obvious optical issues. I've tested the external audio on the GH2 using a high quality external mic, the audio quality was actually very good with no side affects, so I wont be using the remote shutter option...

• Well I´m using the manual movie mode with 1080 50i, no probs with auto iso and no strobing. If you are using a shutterspeed (exposure time) of 60 when filming with 50i it eliminates strobing, at least with my camera, though normaly 50 should be sufficient... I would buy the remote trigger cable, but I guess that it does nothing more by pressing then shortening the circuit... What 2/3" adapter did you buy? how is the quality? Does it stay sharp over the whole zoomrange (flange focal distance) ? How is the Quality if you compare your Canon lens with the regular 4/3 14-42 panasonic ?

• Hi Panini,

I've just bought a GH2 and I've also bought a 2/3" adaptor so I can use my broadcast Canon wide angle lens with it, I've also got a very nice matte box and filters to use on the rig but at the moment I'm struggling with a few issues the GH2 has in terms of strange strobe effects when in 24/25P mode and also the fact that the ISO setting reverts to auto in all modes except movie mode, this is a real bummer and Vitaliy says it CANNOT be sorted with a hack... Re the powered zoom, you can buy a Hirose connector and supply the lens with 12Volts to get motorised zoom, I guess this isn't such a big issue BUT I'm not sure about record start/stop via the ext. Mic control socket, do you have the required protocol information to control the camera via this socket?

• sorry but Maybe you should get a ENG camera...