Personal View site logo
Driftwood VY Canis Majoris: This thread will now be integrated into 'Driftwood Series 6 Settings'
  • 901 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood superb sir. hardwork always gets answer from God. your work has been answered.

• @peternap thepalalias did many test and proved how topnotch patches differ. we have few members here whom already ran through most setting. i started myself fro quantum v9b then quantum 10, sage quantumX, orion sedna A, mysteron, mysteronBurst, canis Night and now canis Night CBR. go through all top notch settings then you can decide where fmv2 stands. there are people who patchback driftwood's default but, there are very few who succeeded. very few. sage for example now obscura looks so. but not a degree where you will find a lots of difference. there might me slight improvements or none.

• Thanks @thepalalias, exactly the info I was looking for. You have my gratitude! And big congrats to @Driftwood, looking forward to a long, amazing career from you, good sir!

• Congrats Nick! Tip a few back!

• Quick night test of Driftwood's VY Canis Majoris Night. I don't know what the cause, but I got a lot of noise here (never went higher then 1600iso – mostly under 1000), as well as a weird strobe-like effect of dark and light rolling up the screen. This footage is sped up so you can see the effect more clearly, and you may see it best on the wide shot of the lot. I thought it might be Shutter Speed causing this, but I did check it, and cannot figure out the cause. It may be hard to see still, but I could notice it while shooting and when i scrub through the footage in FCP.

Password: rolling

• @kingmixer I'm missing it Kingmixer. It looked pretty clean to me, There was some noise but it didn't look excessive and I didn't see the strobing at all.

• Can´t see it as well, but might be hidden due to recompression. The cause is 99.9% the use of a shutter different than 50 (or 25) in PAL land or different than 60 (or 30) in NTSC land.

• @kingmixer Also not really seeing it except maybe in the background of shots 1 3 4 and whichever one is the wide angle. My guess is it may be one of the parking lot lights is going out and thus flickering out of time with the rest. I get that allot here in Tokyo with Neon signs and regular florescent lighting. The only thing I can do is record a short test clip and change shutter speed slowly while observing in the EVF and aiming at the various light sources. You can spot an out of syn light quickly this way.

• Thanks for the help. Yes, it is difficult to see, and if you download the file from vimeo it's more apparent. I did be sure to have the Shutter speed on 50. I'll hopefully get to do further testing soon.

• @driftwood, congratulations Nick!

• @driftwood. Congrats Nick. You mentioned you will be coming to Los Angeles in June I believe. If you do, PM me and I will treat you to some good Armenian kabobs. Cheers.

• @driftwood i want to watch some of your work. will you provide any in youtube. the awarded one. scene from it???

• @kingmixer I get this rolling issue as well with certain types of lights. I can't remember the name of the bulbs used in a lot of outdoor lighting - it's like silver halide or something like that. I also get this in some interiors. Always wondered exactly what type of lights cause it. Anyone out there know the name of the lights? Assuming fix is to change the shutter speed?

• @Kingmixer and 5thwall, lower shutter speeds does not always equal less flicker. Here in tokyo the lights are 50hz if I remember correctly, but at a shutter speed of 50 I have minor flicker, at 100 there is no flicker unless there is a bad bulb, or... the mystery parts of town that seem to operate at different frequencies.

• Congratulations Driftwood. I am sure it's a very nice piece of work, and I look forward to seeing it in the future.

• @peternap see top notch patches are not comparable with other patches, even some of the patches are unique, comparing them with other patches is a waste of time. for example sedna A AQ1 compared to Canis Night is total waste. both does different things. sedna A AQ1 for most detail and Canis Night is For most Indoor Cinematic. but they have something common too. Sanity quantum 100 flow motion v2 cluster v2 are all basic patches. just a improvement without taking it to very high bitrate and matrix. so we can compare all these with similar patches.

i heard sanity 5 and cluster 2.0 will do better,. not sure waiting for cluster 2.0 from the boss.

at present the most toppers are Orion v4b - Mysteron - Sedna A AQ1 - Sedna C Q20 - Canis Majoris Night - Canis Majoris PM. Few CBR..s from @obscura

• @Rajamalik Great list. I haven't tested CM Day PM vs CM Skintone Soft much so I do not know which is better yet.

Sanity does not have the image quality of Sedna, and I have not tried FlowMotion2 (yet) and Cluster 2 is not released yet. But what Sanity does have is a really good image quality to bitrate ratio. I shot a commercial with it last week and was very happy with the results: much better than stock settings but sometimes similar in bitrate.

Remember, if you are sending MTS files to a client, high bitrates can be an issue if there is a lot of footage. Even with a fast connection (and mine uploads at between 3 mbps and 9 mbps) you are looking at some long upload times. With a 149 mbps setting, the uploads take up to 50 minutes per minute of footage shot. That is 50 hours for an hour of footage in a worst case scenario. If the bitrate is just 23 mbps (which can be the average on low detail footage with Sanity) the same upload would be less than 8 hours. Of course, if the connection is hovering around 6 mbps on average, that would less than 4 hours.

So if you want to shoot the footage at lunch and get it to a client that night, Sanity is the best way to go so far. :)

• @thepalalias you should!(fm2 ; ) and i am very much looking forward myself for the cluster 2. Of the high bit rate ones mysteron/sedna aq1 are my favorite,sharp and cinematic (grain). sanity stayed only 5 minutes on my gh2(sanity 5! ; ) Canis M night - after the original euphoria I had some noise(at low iso,no iso bug i always check this!) and color banding issues(just did a mild color correction) that become apparent in fcp 7 and were not there only if i export in the highest pro res, a difficult solution for internet delivery due to the humongous files size. Never had this in my workflow before with any previous driftwood settings. anyway,pixel peeping or not this things are subjective ; )

@rajamalik "i heard sanity 5 and cluster 2.0 will do better" hearing is one thing, loading it up and testing/seeing it for yourself - another ; )

• Canis Majoris, Righteous Patch... I dedicate this to The GoodEmpire and to Vitaly, Driftwood and elders of this Group. Give Blood or at least a dime.

• @thepalalias.....@rajamalik May 30 ..i heard sanity 5 and cluster 2.0 will do better,...not sure waiting for cluster 2.0 from the boss....dont forget @balazer and Cake 2.3...

at present the most toppers are Orion v4b - Mysteron - Sedna A AQ1 - Sedna C Q20 - Canis Majoris Night - Canis Majoris PM. Few CBR..s from @obscura.....dont forget @bkmcwd and his patches...

• @thepalalias yes uploading mts is too hard. the most common way to upload them is conversion. convert prores 422 hq output file to mp4 above 18mbps. i use 1080p 24fps mp4 20mbps cbr. its the best. mp4 compression with cbr high bitrate. set audio to 48000 256 kbps. the file size of a 10 min video will be 1.25 gb.the setting for conversion will look so good for you tube and vimeo.

@luxis yes cluster 2 and sanity 5 will hopefully do well for all sd card owners. i heard it can span from any card above sdhc class4. all you need is a write speed above 15m/s. thats a very good news for most gh2 low budget video shooters.

@benibube see if you prefer the setting to b very stable and it should be a super performer. take driftwoods sednas or canis majoris,...(my favorites - Sedna A AQ1 and Canis Majoris Night)many other sources makes users unhappy in a specific point. driftwood stands for stability reliability and performance.

• @thepalalias mts has a serious problem in gamma when u edit in vegas using magic bullet. shots looks darker than it is from default. so color correction and grading always challenges the editor. after playing with cineform i found it actually changed deep greys into black o specific light condition. then i found a solution to set cineform to convert better and real.now i have a imac i7. fcp x with magic bullet looks 2. colorista ii in after effect cs5.5. if u ask me i would say 5d to rgb cont prores 422 hq on fcp x is the top most choice for gh2 based filmmakers.

• @kingmixer Hey, I can definitely see what you are talking about. I will check it when I get home to confirm but on this computer screen I am seeing massive "block-like" noise in the dark. Is that what you are talking about?

• @rajamalik @benibube I see bens point. I have never used an unreliable patch from @bkmcwd and the image quality it much better, IMO, than sanity. For instance, I know this is a really stupid film, but look closely at the quality of each shot. Don't worry about the bad acting or anything else. The @bkmcwd patch made my 14-42mm lens produce quality much better than any other patch with very little noise. Oh and people are freaking out about the quality to memory ratio of Sanity, but this patch does just as good, if not, a better job with memory to quality ratio. Check it out, and let me know what you guys think about the quality besides the crappy filming and acting. THE QUALITY! lol

Excuse the language btw. I am really sorry for all of it. This was just a test shoot and would never be released to the general public.

• The Panasonic's Matrix - BETTER! The best! IMHO. Very Best - Driftwood's SeAQuake, Driftwood's Quantum, Dr... ReAQuainted, Dr... SeAQuake! WITHOUT anything MATRIX! Panas_Matrix - forever and the best!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions