Personal View site logo
GH2 AVCHD Encoder Motion Testing
  • 43 Replies sorted by
  • @B3Guy

Doesn't altitude affect the period of the pendulum as well?
  • I put up all this stuff so that everybody could do testing. It is pretty easy and doesn't cost anything (except the cost of an inkjet print). Hopefully, others will participate; especially those who have dug into PTool more than I have so far. I'll study up and test more over the next couple of days.

Is there anybody out there who can run this test for Vitaliy now?

Chris
  • Altitude doesn't have a measurable effect (at least not for these tests). Let's not get too fancy here, it isn't necessary.

By the way, I didn't find much difference between frame types (as I expected), the big difference was in overall quality. I didn't do any image adjusting except for normalizing contrast.

Chris
  • I may have messed up the test. I put the Panasonic factory values for 24p cinema H in the 24p cinema L location using Ptool. I'm redoing the Factory setting test with the original, unmodified firmware to eliminate any other possible factors. I should have results in a few minutes.

Chris
  • @cbrandin
    I also think so, as bitrate is too low.
  • Well, it seems that putting the 24H settings into the 24L slot causes problems. I re-did the test with the factory firmware and got almost exactly the same results as with 42M (same bitrate and image quality).

Vitaliy, what is the "bottom bitrate", a minimum? If so, experimenting with that might make a difference. Will it work to use the easy settings and then just change that one parameter in the tester section?

You might want to remove my previous test images and post - I don't want to confuse people.

Chris
  • >Vitaliy, what is the "bottom bitrate", a minimum? If so, experimenting with that might make a difference.

It might, but it might not. :-)
    Try to play with top and bottom numbers for 24H keeping the same bitrate setting.
    Keep bottom always smaller, and top < your bitrate setting /1024.
  • I'm going to switch over to my motorized pan/tilt head for the next round of tests. That way, I can have total control. I'll get back to devising a simpler test for other participants afterwards. The main problem I had with the simple test was making sure the target didn't swing out of focus.

Chris
  • I wouldn't bother with testing the Top and Bottom Bit rate settings right now. I just tested those with a 94% of 32000000 value and it actually decreased the average bit rate. I did a completely controlled test on a tripod with identical settings which I saved in the C1, C2, and C3 slots for 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

I will post the sample files and the Stream Parser data in a moment. For now I haven't found a reason why just setting the bit rates to 32000000 isn't are best option for the time being? It is completely stable and offers extremely good picture quality. If stability isn't your main concern then the 42000000 setting works very well also.
  • @mpgxsvcd
    You are in wrong topic talking to wrong people and telling them things that you do not understand.
    To be simple.
    This is fucking testing topic, and here we make tests to understand how each setting works.
  • @mpgxsvcd
    I understand that you want to help. And are doing testing. I value that.
    But read your message without emotions and after this read my response.
    If you do not understand me still, just do not go to testers topics.
  • Your second response is a lot more productive.

I have a question about the Video Bit Rate FSH/SH and 24H settings. Are those actually controlling multiple settings in the firmware now or is it one discreet field value. Those settings appear to act differently than they originally did.
  • >Your second response is a lot more productive.

If you stop talking to me in mentor tone it'll be even better.

>Are those actually controlling multiple settings in the firmware now or is it one discreet field value. Those settings appear to act differently than they originally did.

They are changing many things. I wrote this in main hack topic before release.
    Including corresponding top and bottom settings that you can find in testers section.
  • For encoder motion testing i have made High motion images, high iso, some dead on exposures some under exposures all during some motion! I basically tested just about most of the shots i can imagine an average user would have. It's got a little bit of everything, sorry for the extra texts in it, i may put it on my blog and talk about progress with the hack so some extra info is in there. If you don't full screen, it looks a lot like the mts, full screen there is what seems to be more noise than the original file but original is available to download so that fixes that..

• @cbrandin

About low bitrates.
    Rule here must be simple.
    Low modes (24L for ex) bitrate setting must be always in between top and boottom settings for high mode (24H).
    If it is not so, you'll get this problem.
  • @OSGondar
    Are you sure that this is proper topic for this?
    May be better place it in topic that is in Showcase category?
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev The thread says too many static tests + first i saw the title which seemed to be for motion testing, if i misunderstood or not relevant enough to post here no problem but I was going purely by thread title at the time of posting it.
  • Vitaliy,

Let me see if I understand this right. When patching 24H, you also have to patch 24L in proportion, otherwise 24L may not work correctly, right? For the first tests I want to restrict myself to 24p cinema modes to keep things simple. Will that work, or are there other inter-dependencies?

I've been playing with StreamEye Slim from Elecard ($50 - a really good price). It shows frame by frame analysis of motion vectors, macroblock types, etc... It's very nice and I would recommend it for serious testers as it shows many things StreamParser does not (and visa versa too). lpowell - are you around - hint, hint? The only catch is that StreamEye doesn't recognize GH2 filename extensions so you have to select "All" file types when opening files.

Chris