Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @sanzadez nice work man. I actually kinda prefer the yellowness, but that's me. I dig that yellow tone that's all over Prometheus, mixing blue and yellow and white light is just very beautiful to me. But that's my preference....not everybody's bag, I understand.

• @shain, yeah I tend to lean towards a more "orangey"/warm tone myself. But for this, thats more along the lines of what we are looking for. I think it just depends on the individual as well as the scene. I have seen people who love overly blue tones, and to me I really don't like the look, but in certain situations it works. If you are interested in taking a look at a couple other stills I have from our current project, let me know. I have them up on our website, just let me know and I will send you a link.

PS. thanks again for CGT

• A still from one of the CGT Film School Series shoots. Lots of editing to do this weekend. Start looking for tutorials on the site around Wed or Thurs of next week.

Elise 3 point.png
    1072 x 454 - 505K
  • I'm having a lot of fun w/ Color Ghear. Haven't touched Magic Bullet since I started using CGT :) To simplify my workflow a bit, I created some presets on Premier CS5 that copied some of the CGT presets. Here's a video w/ the presets. The indoor shots were not so good :( needed to spend more time on them. I love the fact that you are teaching and not just throwing presets at us!

• Her face sitting at the wheel of that huge tractor, so funny!

• @jshzr That looks amazing! I just got PP, so I'll get to work on a version of CGT for PP after I get the Film School up and running.

• @Shian - Thanks! When you get to it you'll find that there is no effect to manipulate individual color saturation like in AE. I had to use the 3 way color corrector and selected the appropriate color range to bump up saturation for individual colors. Maybe there is an easier way.

• No real-time scopes monitoring in AE CS6. That's a bummer. Then it's pretty much same old same old?

• Yeah, that was the first thing I looked for when I fired up AE CS6, @stonebat. Kind of baffling considering how often they must have heard that request from people. Maybe they want everyone to just use SpeedGrade, lol.

• So far, CS6 is not living up to my expectations. After Effects has some nice new features, really liking it. ColorGhear is loving the new playground. But SG does not live inside it anywhere....yet. SpeedGrade was a "rush to market" add on to the suite. It's not really ready to be a nodule of the whole, no round tripping, no .mts compatibility, no curves (which is baffling, cuz I'm almost sure the full production version had them) The .look functionality has some real potential in terms of adding expanded functionality to CGT as far as quick and easy secondary corrections.

My full thoughts on SG, so far, are here. - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2735/speedgrade#Item_23

ANNOUNCEMENT

3 new CGT versions are in the works - Versions for Resolve, PP, and SpeedGrade - details to be made available after build and testing is complete.

• Whoa! Very, very interested in the Resolve version.

• Fast grade with CGT. Thanks @shian And i think it very lazy results :(

• @psywhisper I think it looks great. Not sure I understand the lazy results comment, maybe it got lost in translation. Nice to see 7D footage graded with ColorGHear.

• @shian,

What versions of premiere will your ports work with and will this be a separate product or will it be available to those of us that have already purchased ColorGHear in the past?

Once again, thanks for a very useful tool!

Tony

• too early to tell. Depends on how effective the version is.

• OK, got hired to shoot some stuff this week, so The film School Tutorials will be delayed a bit. :( Sorry.

• Get dat cash money, @shian ! Thanks for all your hard work. Tried to fiddle with Resolve but keep coming back to the CF/CGT workflow.

• After one evening, I was able to do this. Thanks shian!

You can use Sony Vegas as NLE. Just save project as "Edit Protocol Compliant AAF File (*.aff)" and install Automatic Duck plugin (needed for AE CS 5.5) http://www.automaticduck.com/products/download/ for *.aaf importing.

Using AE is completely new to me so I guess I still need to watch many of Shian's videos :)

cat_original.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 442K
    cat_graded2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 522K
  • Is it normal that 3,5min video rendering takes 7 hours? I have 5-6 adjustment layers, mostly those that are used in tutorial videos all the time. I'm rendering simple H.264 20Mbit/s video so I could just upload it straight to youtube.

AE CS 5.5, Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-920, 15GB DDR3, 120GB SSD, GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB... multiprocessing didn't work for rendering (gave mysterious error).

• @tonalt, from my experience that seems about right. I guess it just depends on how much you are pushing the footage. I know the other day I exported a 1min clip and it took 5-6hours(that was the longest render I've had thus far for a 1min clip, but I was testing something and had ghrain killer a little high). Then again, I also rendered a 2min clip last week that only took about an hour. Some GHears require a longer render time, I know GHrain killer adds quite a bit of render time.

• I never had that kind of render times i7 870 @ 2.93Ghz 16GB unless I threw in some heavy processing filters like warp stabiliser with synthesize edges or noise reduction (like GHrain killer).

Simple color adjustment layers are mostly instant.

Now that multiprocessing disabled is most likely the culprit.

• Part of it might be the H264 part. In my experience it takes forever if hyper threading not enabled, or if not on a hyper threading capable machine. Also, H264 might not support simultaneous frames to be rendered. I only do ProRes and DnxHD out of AE cuz QT Pro does a so much better job with H264 encoding than AFX. Also, remember RAM is king, the more processors and RAM you throw at it the better, and yeah.... GHrain Killer is awesome but it will drag your system down quite a bit. It's very render intensive. Not as intensive as Neat Video, but still pretty intense.

My old iMac duo core took 17 hours to process Singularity and it was 10 minutes, no GHrain Killer, lots of layers 7 and sometimes 10. My new iMac i7, 16GB, with hyper threading is 4 times as fast. It just screams through my renders on everything. But I've noticed that render times in Davinci on the same machine are comparable to CGT in AFX. Any time you do this type of grading will sometimes be a render hit.

• The Capital key trick doesn't work sometimes. So I kill the composition window just before rendering.

BTW did AE CS6 improve the rendering performance?

• It seems a little better to me - or at least the memory management seems better. There is a "switching to foreground" message that pops up under your current frame count to let you know you're now writing to the disk cache, I believe.

AE multiframe render settings could use a tutorial of their own, I think. I'm running 14gb of RAM but I find if I give AE more than 8gb there's eventually a bottleneck. Plus you have to figure out how much RAM to give each instance, etc, with some plugins working better with 2gb and so on.

• Just little better performance sounds disappointing where it's taking me 1 hour to render one minute composition.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions