Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • the one I just linked above (in my last post)

• who responsible this?

• He he, that shot with them sitting on the grass was so heavily graded it almost looked like keyed footage :)

• In the description it says "overly graded to see how HX9 footage would hold up", but also says done with a combination of colorista and ColorGHear. So I was wondering if it was someone from this forum.

• Still working on the title sequence but here a before and after still ...I will be likely using CG with AE for a long time . At the very least to correct "problem" shots.... If you still don't have this and you use after effects....buy it, buy it buy it....its totally worth it.

-I just cropped em on the quick so yeah I know they dont match ....

Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 8.18.48 AM.png
    1397 x 616 - 1M
    Screen shot 2012-04-09 at 4.30.37 PM.png
    1396 x 590 - 1020K
    Screen shot 2012-04-09 at 4.29.38 PM.png
    1440 x 900 - 1M
    Screen shot 2012-04-10 at 8.36.09 AM.png
    1440 x 900 - 1M
  • @No_SuRReNDeR is that first screen exported from 5dtoRGB? Or was it right from the cam?

• @x_worpig_x That has been exported to a DNxHD mov file but its basically the same as the MTS shot from the camera in terms of color. It has zero corrections applied.

• @shian or anyone else that can help: I have just finished editing my short film and will shortly be done post-production audio. I am editing on pp cs5, mixing audio on Nuendo 5. Once I have my final cut with the final stereo wave file on the timeline, how do I move the project over to AE to color correct/grade with CG? I am working on PC, Win7. If this is covered in a tutorial I'll happily watch it - I'll watch them all anyways but for obvious reasons this needs to be the first one.

Thank you all, and Shian looking forward to learning a whole new aspect of post-production! Your passion for sharing your knowledge with all who want to learn is the most essential ingredient of being a great teacher.

• with PP it's simple. Once you have your audio in place, save your project. Close Premiere, open AE, go to import> and select import Premiere Pro Project. Done.

Then watch all the tutorials, especially the "working with sequences" ones.

• @Jodan Here is a sample. I like CGT.

robot-frame-orig1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 585K
    robot-frame-cgt1.jpg
    1920 x 818 - 548K
    claire-orig.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 753K
    claire-cgt.jpg
    1920 x 818 - 691K
  • ColorGHear is working great for me and I've only gotten halfway through the tutorials. Really nice work Shian. This isn't the greatest example because the lighting was not consistent, but CGH transforms it into something really nice in no time flat. I use it on every clip I shoot. Looking forward to more tutorials! I'm on a PC so might have a few questions to dial in the best export settings, if I export from PrPro, although Shian covers PCs as well. I don't transcode to anything before editing. I'm on a pretty fast machine, that's one nice advantage I suppose, although I like Macs also.

• Unsharp Mask wasn't easy to apply... Darn halos...

Yes I hope AE CS6 has a vast improvement over CS5.

• Thanks, Shian.

• nice @stonebat you turned the glow back on. I left it unchecked, and haven't got around to showing everybody that it's there, just turned off cuz not everybody wants it, but it does give you a nice light wrap. 2 tuts from now I'll go into customization and building your own GHears.

also you might want to use the Ghrain Killer on the shot of Claire, the grade is bringing out the grain a bit, and the most recent tut should help you dial in the settings.

• Ah glow~ I like it. I’m using earlier CGT version though. Yes building one’s own GHears sounds fun.

Her face was too dim from Dense Night gear. So I applied a mask layer tracking on her eyebrow. Just one more step to apply the Ghrain Killer on the layer and tune it. Hehe.

Thanks for the great work @shian. I'd say it's definitely better than MBL. BTW the robot was taken by hacked GF3. CGT worked nicely with GF3. ColorGFear? :)

• Just some footage i took recently. Used ColorGHear/AE. I think i'm getting closer to getting the end-results i'm looking for.

http://photos.jamesthorpe.com/Other/Footage/22390839_mFrnGc#!i=1789818722&k=JdSp6Zf

• @pvjames very nice. You are muting the highlights a bit much, which is causing the flat yellow skies and such, but very beautiful. It's hard with the dynamic range of the camera to shoot in available light and capture the full range in nature and still have detail in the shadows. Just remember you have more latitude on the lower end of the exposure scale, but a hard cap on the highlights.

• @stonebat: Thank you!

• @islanders66 nice. I love the shot of the model in profile that ended up being the title background for the vid. The colors play really well. I literally thought it was a still taken with a Canon camera, not a still frame from the GH2.

Oh, plus boobies.... I love those.

• +1 for boobies

@islanders66 great work

• I really like ColorGHear!following the tutorials are quite easy..Absolutely my type of color grading method..this is a lite grade I did of my son..shot with Orion 4b & Canon FD 50mm 1.4

RAW.bmp
    1920 x 1080 - 6M
    raw.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 452K
    graded.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 463K
    spectral enhanced.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 464K
  • @EYESOUL I noticed you're in 8bit. To really see it shine, move into 32bit, by alt clicking the project bit depth setting at the bottom of the project window twice. Add the spectral enhancer, and mix to taste to see the colors pop.

• @shian will do..I noticed I forgot to switch to 32bit..this is all still quite new to me far as remembering the workflow.practice!practice!practice!love the tools man.

• @shian: thanks for checking out the footage and advice. I think i found something as far as a direction with getting a look i want with nature/landscaping. Trying to also make it look more 'cinematic'. I always thought GH2 was more sensitive with noise in the lows. But, i'll take your word for it.

• @pvjames no need to take me at my word. The proof is in the dynamic range tutorial. Tested. Fact. Very informative. You have 3 stops above 50% and 5 and 1/3 below.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions