Personal View site logo
The Big Thing
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • April fools´day in Russia?

• With no interlaced mode, hope that means 60p will be 1080 not 720.

• Now, if the firmware 2 for the Gh2 will be something as you said "revolutionary", do you realize that that would means that the gh2 could generating more profit for the company from a product which was considered at the end of production life cycle?

Venus Revolution is code name for new LSI, as well as name for the team who works on it's design and related software libraries. It'll be used in upcoming cameras.

As for GH2. Many people told the same for GH1. Due to new features, new cameras won't be in direct competition to GH2.

• @Vitaliy Congratulations indeed! Well deserved. A very interesting development reflecting your and your colleagues hard work, and also the influence of social media on companies (if we include sites as social media)...perhaps this is the future business model, sort of a hybrid between open source and closed proprietary software. Terrific development, and this site is the only reason I sold my Canon gear and replaced it with Panasonic.

• Congratulations to Vitaliy on this stunning achievement! I'm honored to have been invited to participate on the development team and am looking forward to taking part in this historic project.

• @Jizzyjones

I will tell only that I can. None of new cameras will write in AVCHD container anymore. None will support interlaced modes. And all will support >2Gb files, no spanning.

• @Vitaliy Congratulation Vitaliy, this is the proof that good ideas and dedication often succeed. Now, if the firmware 2 for the Gh2 will be something as you said "revolutionary", do you realize that that would means that the gh2 could generating more profit for the company from a product which was considered at the end of production life cycle? Also, firmware 2 "some company will be very upset with their 5000 cameras"... well, the hacked gh2 already outperform any other "under 5k dslr" when it comes to video.

• Congratulations to VK and development team!!

Here's a tribute from the 80'S :

• What about a native 25p 'cinema' mode instead of the HBR-50i container? or can you not discuss yet.

• @Jodan

Again. For selected cameras we'll partner and will take part in development. They won't have new "hacks" released, but will have firmware that incorporate much much more. For other cameras all stays the same.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't know about Japanese or Russion rules, but in Germany, you wouldn't be allowed to publish hacks in private of a Firmware which is "produced" by a company you work for. Well, you could if that company would be ok with it. So, does this mean that there will be no more updates on your hacks, neither on the existing cameras, nor on new ones? Or will the collaboration with Panasonic only affect their firmware and this here, the forum and hacks, still will come to the benefit of us all? (I am asking as I highly doubt that Panasonic will include everything possible to their cam. 1) they could have done before already and didn't 2) they surely don't wan't competitors to their own higher priced products.) So, I'd appreciate if you could tell as a bit more regarding how this collaboration will affect the hacks available for us. Besides that, to your personal success: Congratulations.

• @oscillian eyecup... lol

• Yeah! Congrats Vitaliy and everyone. Excellent! Omedatoo Gozaimasu. Priviat and Spacebo! :)

• Congrats Vitaliy and the team

• Myself, Stonebat and others would love an official eyecup from Panny! Oh, and a battery grip like on the EM5!

• Great news! Congrats to you! (I'm really hoping the march 30 topic release rules out april 1 pranks ;))

• Nice April fools ^^

• Congrats VK. If you have any input on the still side please try to increase the max exposure time past 2 minutes and 8 seconds for astro photography. Also have it do auto burst mode in the "b" mode would be great. Those things shouldn't be too hard. I am doing a whole GH-2 astro-photography how to video next week. Those are the only major drawbacks.

• lets wait to 2. April to celebrate... ;)

• おめでとう!

• Can you imagine the reaction of the canon and RED fanboys when this goes viral?

• Either way, it's awesome: It's either the video technology industry's April Fools prank of the decade, or just plain the biggest video technology industry news of the decade!

Well played, Vitaliy! :-)

Meanwhile, stay tuned: Imagine if there were an SDK for the GH3, etc. What could interwebbed software & hardware developers do with that?

Cheers.

• @onionbrain

are you telling us we can look forward to new firmware developments around the time of NAB 2012

Nope. I just told that I could talk after NAB about all the features (and it'll be long talk). You'll understand why after NAB will be completed.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"Can't talk prior NAB much. But can give you a clue. You won't call them Picture profiles in v2.0."

Assuming this means more flexibility with in-camera image settings relative to my current GH2 -- this is the best news.

In very general terms -- are you telling us we can look forward to new firmware developments around the time of NAB 2012 (April 16th), or should we be thinking along the lines of later this year, or should I instead be thinking in terms of a new purchase of a new "GH3" or whatever (meaning the modified GH2 has reached the end of its lifecycle)?

Thank you, and congratulations.

• What about that Gamma shift? haha

For now it seems like error in few LUT tables and absent correction step to save power in live preview.