Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • Driftwood Quantum X v5b and v5c 'β Pictoris' (baby Quantum X) VBR & CBR versions 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d - Released 10:30am, 01/03/2012

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64d '200212' required). Settings for GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras.

INFO: Two versions - 1) CBR constant Bitrate at 75M, 2) VBR Adaptive Bitrate 35-75M

UPDATE: Updated the Orion pack as I'd left Q off. All good now (thanks to @oleg2k). Earlier msg: Ignore plain titled v5 versions (they were accidently left with deblocking on from a prior test). For the correct versions read below.

There are actually four versions for you to try out of Pictoris, two different matrices - v5b is the new hybrid matrix, v5c is the Orion included matrix. with NEW Driftwood scaled Panasonic GH2 Matrix meets AVC-INTRA Matrix hybrid (somewhere in the middle of Orion matrix meets GH2 Stock matrix) inc;- Settings primed for 50/75M Standard Rec Modes plus additional 25M for Etc Mode 1080p24 on INTRA 50/75M Standard/75M Etc Mode 1080i50/60 INTRA 50M /75M Etc Mode 720p50/60 GOP6/9 40/75M Standard/75M Etc MJPEG Highest Quality 1920&720 Mjpeg modes. Good standard SD card recommended

2 Zip files below: Download the CBR version for constant bitrate, choose VBR for variable bitrate for even more space saving on sdcard.

*** MINOR UPDATE ***Released 00:15am 28/02/2012

ROCKET and ORION users please update to 3b and 4b respectively. A slight change in the weighting of the 720p GOP structure - this time it looks correct for the proper weight on B frames under GOP Related 720p50/60 opt1/2 settings.

Download the zip file "MINOR UPDATE - Driftwood Quantum X (v3B Rocket RC) (V4B Orion) Updated - 0016am 28022012 - setb setg.zip" below and extract and overwrite the old versions of Rocket & Orion. Thanks.

Driftwood Quantum X (v4 Orion) CBR 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d- Released 16:30pm 25/02/2012

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64d '200212' required). Settings for GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras.

INFO: Settings include;- Quantum v9b style constant bitrate patch with full AVC-INTRA Matrix ; Requires firmware v1.1 and ptools 3.64d '200212 dated' (*Not compatible with 180212 dated ptools); CBR style 154M INTRA 108024p; CBR style HBR & 1080i INTRA 100M+ Max; CBR Style GOP12(PAL)/GOP15(NTSC) 720p 50/60 - 80+ Max; AVC Intra Matrix all round; GOP related Adjustments for B frames; EX Tele and 80% mode support. SD_Card=V good Class 10; SanDisk Extreme HD Video recommended

Driftwood Quantum X (v3 Rocket) RC VBR 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d - RC Released 16:30pm 25/02/2012

(Note: Please ignore the earlier zip file released v3 version, download ONLY the RC version)

Changes from v2 include;- Adjusted matrix. AVC-INTRA Matrix on I Frame coding with AVC Intra Scaled Matrix on lower field HBR/1080i P frames and 720 P/B frames. 24p Slightly improved quality to match highest i frames 6080808 limit. 1080i/HBR vastly improved. 720 modes now on GOP12/15 to match frame limit usage of 1080i/HBR (ie percentage increase to match higher frame limit for HBR mode which were capped in v2)

INFO: Settings include;- Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA on 1080p24 upto 154M; Adaptive Hi Bitrate 25p(50i PsF) upto 100M; Adaptive Hi Bitrate 30p (60i PsF) upto 100M+; Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA 1080i modes upto 100M+; Hi bitrate 720p modes on GOP 12/15 with B frames upto 50M safest; Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1920x1080 (720 compression mode); Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1280x720 (480 compression mode); EX Tele Mode support (will increase bitrate usage by around 20M); 80% on 1080p modes (will increase bitrate usage by around 25M)

Driftwood Quantum X AVCHD-I 100/50 (AVC Intra Matrix) Total Intra setting! More news soon...

Driftwood Quantum X 'SpanMyBitchUp' v2b - Released 10:15am 25/02/2012

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 required). For GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras.

INFO: Updated version of SpanMyBitchUp. (See attached settings zip file below). Settings include;- Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA on 1080p24 - upto 100M. (* Only for GH2); Adaptive Hi Bitrate 25p(50i PsF) INTRA - upto 100M; Adaptive Hi Bitrate 30p (60i PsF) INTRA - upto 100M; Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA 1080i modes - upto 100M; 720p modes on GOP 6 with B frames - upto 98M; Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1920x1080 (720 compression mode); Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1280x720 (480 compression mode); EX Tele Mode support; 80% on 1080p modes; 24L, 720/1080i FH/H settings on Trick mode (encoder calcs bitrate)

Driftwood Quantum X (v2 Rocket) 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d - Released 22/02/2012

(Panasonic firmware v1.11 required). For GH2 & GF2 Lumix cameras.

INFO: Adaptive bitrate settings. (See attached settings zip file below). Settings include;- Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA on 1080p24 - upto 154M. (* Only for GH2); Adaptive Hi Bitrate 25p(50i PsF) INTRA - upto 100M+; Adaptive Hi Bitrate 30p (60i PsF) INTRA - upto 120+; Adaptive Hi Bitrate INTRA 1080i modes - upto 120+; 720p modes on GOP 6 with B frames - upto 98M; Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1920x1080 (720 compression mode); Highest Quality tested MJPEG on 1280x720 (480 compression mode); EX Tele Mode support; 80% on 1080p modes; AVC INTRA Matrix on I Frame coding with Flat 16 Matrix on P/B frames

These settings are dedicated to VK @Vitaliy_Kiselev (master in control) and Chris Brandin @cbrandin (thee font of information).

IF YOU LIKE THESE SETTINGS PLEASE PAYPAL DONATE (ABOVE) TO VITALIY FOR HIS TIRELESS WORK ON GIVING US THE HACK.

Q. Where do I get firmware v1.11 and ptools 3.64d?

A. All the neccessary links are available here at top of page 1: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2317/ptool-v3.64d-topic/p1

Q. How do I load Quantum settings & firmware v1.11 into ptools 3.64d?

A. See below - its simple.

1. simply make a new folder on a pc call it 'Quantum'.

2. Depending on which camera you own do the following;-

GH2 Users: Copy Panasonics official GH2 firmware v1.11 (GH2__V11.bin) into that folder. (You can download this firmware from Panasonics offical site at http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh2.html)

GF2 Users: Copy Panasonics official GF2 firmware v1.11 (GF2__V11.bin) into that folder. (You can download this firmware from Panasonics offical site at http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gf2.html)

3. Download latest ptools v3.64d 200212 from the 'ptools 3.64d' thread link (https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software) and copy that into the folder too.

4. Download the Quantum patches (white looking documents found at the bottom of this section) and unzip them to the Quantum folder.

5. NOW run ptools, then load the firmware v1.11 (GH2__V11.bin for GH2 users or GF2__V11.bin for GF2 users) when it asks, now you'll see Rocket and Orion settings highlighted in Green (hover mouse over B and G buttons) click on either, whichever you wanna try.

6. One youve selected your fav' Quantum patch then click on SAVE FIRMWARE button and save the patched firmware to your sdcard naming it higher than the original GH2__V11.bin (GF2__V11.bin for GF2) firmware (makes sense yeah!) for example 'GH2__V12.bin' (GF2__V12.bin for GF2) when asked.

7. Load the new firmware from the sdcard to your camera by inserting sdcard, switch on camera, press the green-marked triangular 'Play' button once, Answer yes, to update your firmware. Note: Make sure youve got a fully charged battery before doing this update.

8. Done! Film away! *Please note you WILL NOT see any cosmetic changes in the menu system of the camera - but rest assured, the Quantum settings are all loaded & working hidden, under the bonnet of the camera ;-)

HOW TO PUT IT BACK TO STOCK SETTINGS AGAIN? You can always go back to stock settings by simply UNCHECKING all the boxes in ptools (or by clicking any unused red button, A to J)and saving the edited firmware back to your sdcard and reupdating. Easy.

All basic and beginners questions about the hack can be found here http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/

• 1019 Replies sorted by
  • DRIFTWOOD NEWS

The release of v5b or v5c β Pictoris 01/03/2012

NOTE: Ignore the plain version 5 of this patch (deblocking was left on by accident from a finale test which didnt work out - thanks @mozes)

Warping over to you is the hot new star of Quantum, v5 β Pictoris, a mini version of the giant world of Quantum X with settings for spanning, ETC Mode and long recordings for general use. Version 5b, incorporating a hybrid version of the quantiser matrix that is AVC-Intra fused together with the GH2's internal matrix means the Luma values have been pushed up even more for finer detail. Version5c incorporates the 'Orion' setting's matrix and again is available in CBR and VBR flavours. So four variations in all.

The new setting also incorporates yet another variation (could be the best yet) of 720p with B frames - NTSC users will have to settle for GOP9 structure, whilst PAL users will enjoy low GOP 6. Everything seems to have passed colour death charts okay so I'm hoping you documentary/long duration lovers are going to enjoy this one. Nick

TIP: You can now experiment with sharpening back on (0 to +2 in camera) for Quantum settings.: 27/02/2012

As you are all aware now, Quantum settings enjoy the AVC-Intra matrix standard along with scaled AVC Intra p/b variations made by myself. This helps soften up skies etc... this should give you a nice opportunity now to mess around with in camera picture profiles/sharpening filters - for example Nostalgic picture profile (like all profiles on stock settings in-camera you can use upto four settings to control contrast, sharpening, saturation and noise reduction - many people have been using -2,-2,-2,-2 because the Panasonic matrix is overtly sharpe). So try giving the second setting - for Sharpeness - an adjustment upwards (e.g. -2 upto +2), now that you have more headroom control with the AVC-Intra smoother matrix. Let me know how you get on. Nick

Up-and-Coming Releases: 27/02/2012

Work is on hold for Quantum X AVCHD-I 100/50 as 720p60 is still proving problematic and unreliably worthless. 720p50 is fine... but we await further developments before this setting can be completed. Nick

Recent Releases: 25/02/2012 16:30pm

Quantum X (v4 Orion) CBR - Constant bitrate

NOTE: THIS IS THE CLOSEST TO QUANTUM 9B.

Finally, after much analysis and to see if this would perform better on every IQ/Q I decided to stick to the formula of Quantum 9b which many people were in love with and bring it up to date to use with version 1.1 of the Panasonic firmware (req ptools 3.64d). Personally, I'm happy with this as it seeks out (using cbrandin's excellent AQ formula) the best Q (Quantisation) for the image in question and fully utilises the bitrate. If you are into spanning, this may not be for you as I would always reccommend a very, very good Type 10 card. But anyway, enough ranting on, fire it up and test away! Nick

Quantum X (v3 Rocket) RC VBR - Adaptive bitrate

We had to change a few settings from today's earlier release. A slight hiccup on the calcs probably left in from another trial. Now all is well. Slightly changed Frame Limits and Frame Buffer calcs on this Release Candidate (RC) . Sorry for the mess around on this setting. Enjoy. Big change in HBR and 1080i sizes after allowing 720p to go to 12 & 15 GOP for PAL & NTSC respectively, it gave me the opportunity to take HBR mode higher for the allocated bitrate (whether it reaches this level is yet to be seen) as now I could lift the frame limits which in v2 were reduced for 720 because of the shared limits. Shared Frame Limits have been the biggest headache for optimising the separate settings - and 720p60 being the biggest memory user of the lot kind of dicatates all the other settings. Anyway hope you like - the b frames seem happier too. Time will tell... Nick

Q. What's the difference between the two above settings?

A. v2 Rocket VBR is now superceeded by v3 Rocket RC - an adaptive or variable bitrate setting which only matches bitrate to roughly the quality of the subject matter (seen on a graph the peaks wave up and down according to bitrate estimated for the subject on a constant Quantiser coding level). Sizes of files will be smaller. In contrast, v4 Orion works more like a constant bitrate - giving the same bitrate attack ALL the time to the subject matter (seen on a graph the peaks stay constant - therefore, the quantiser is working hard to allocate the best quality Q to the image and use all of the available allocated bitrate). Sizes of files will be naturally larger.

*** Coming Soon ***

Quantum X AVCHD-I 100/50 All INTRA Details to follow...

(pic1) A25p image below from QX 'Orion'More images to come..

(pic2) Streamparser grab from 720p50 INTRA from Quantum AVCHD-I (The ALL Intra Setting) - coming soon...

Quantum X V4 (Orion) Sky grab.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Quantum X V3 (Rocket) 720p INTRAaaaaaaa.png
    1287 x 674 - 74K
  • Where is ini file? Thanks

• Well, not there yet as it seems ;D I know it's hard to be patient for this.

• wow,.. thank u so much driftwood sir. will wait for it. the super patch ever made!!!

• @pechente i kept my camera ready yesterday night with battery removed in full charge. still i didnt get the patch.... this abt this situation he he,.... i am checkin out every 2 hrs......

• so its byebye with the ugly pixelblock image? yaaay =)

• Reminds me of my prom, big expectations......

• do you think one day we'll be able to shoot 25p mjpg?

• Very good images. Nick are you still testing or... building suspense? :D

• Great news, Nick. When it will be available this patch?

• I am missing a complete white item at your attachments;-)

• Just can not wait to get my hands on..........Hmm another pic file............now.......not yet.......anothr pic file.......and here it is.........no.........pic file again.............damm...........now!!! no........

• Yes please, Master Driftwood. Please upload!

• wow, this could be the patch of all patches, the only one that you will use 90%+ of the time. Good thing I brought my camera to work today. Gonna be testing soon!

• There it is. Gonna test it right now!

• Is this gonna fly with my lowly 30 Mbps Class 10 Sandisk Extremes?

• Lets say VK make it possible you make it vissible Thanks.

• Amazing how well hitting the refresh button works. I hardly qualify as a tester but so far 30fps NTSC HBR failed with battery pull reset needed after 6 seconds. Tried it again and it worked, looks a little noisey compared to.... 24= best picture I've ever seeen out of my camera. MPEG looked terrific also. Video rates MPEG=97.2, HBR=92.9 24=139 (using 95MB/s card)

• Is @royfel the bad guy or the good guy....?

• guess I'll see if my even lower class 10 transcend can handle it at least on 24p. Driftwood sounds like he's been hitting the bottle. I don't blame you but rest easy brother. Don't let the haters bring you down. You can only be perfect so often.

• Ooooh... don't push it... @cyfernoa... ;-)

• Thanks Nick @driftwood your the bestest ever! Your efforts are greatly appreciated. What film mode are you testingwith - Smooth - and what is it dialed in as -2 etc.

• Hi @rigs -2-2-2-2 all the way on Smooth or Nostalgic

• He is the extremely grateful guy. You and VK have given me a way to make money with images I never could have afforded if I had to buy a "real" camera. A lot of sniping here but don't doubt for a minute that the work you have done and continue to do provides for my family. I am off to do a 30sec spot for the local PBS channel with this patch.

• Well tested every setting including ex tele on bushes and fine grain. Works flawlessly even on my Transcend class 10 guess it's time for celebrations!!!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions