Personal View site logo
UK: Squeezed Britain
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • Indeed austerity isn't the answer. If you work hard for a living, you need leisure time. Far too easy to blame people for squandering their money on holidays and getting into debt.

The answer to a poor economy is for people to have a more satisfying and productive lifestyle that doesn't involve MONEY and spending it, but rather creating it.

Because people are stuck in shitty office jobs, they come home tired and sit in front of the TV. There is too much of that in Britain. The government needs to encourage people to set up their own businesses and make it easier to have lifestyle of creator rather than of a consumer.

We have become a nation of bored consumers.

• I think this is a problem throughout Western civilization. Funny, yet scary, is that no one forced into anything. In theory, everyone has free will, but since the only honest, the possibility of achieving a status of the material is a credit (for most ordinary people) sooner or later, their property will belong to a small group of people. What does this mean? Since, we have increasingly less influence on the rulers what they do and what we have does not belong to us I think it is a modern feudalism. Western world is slowly transformed into one described by George Orwell in "1984". I recently read a fantastic statement of Miss Piggy: "Pigs do not have voting rights, but may compete in the elections"

• @Mimirsan....I smell a Daily Mail reading Tory!

This all started with the deregulation of the banking sector. Blame Maggie.

• Christ when I was a kid I was lucky to even get a holiday in 5 years.

This is really bad. Work harder, harder and harder, it is not really a solution. Solution is to find proper balance.

If you carefully look at all report and think you'll find that it is not this people we must blame.

• I've had no financial troubles but then I don't smoke,drink or feel the need to own a car or buy the latest iPhone. Wont do credit cards either...if you got into debt its your own damn fault I say. Its funny what people think is "required" in a household. Apparently if you have less than £12 spare to spend a day (after utility bills,food and fags) you're considered in poverty. If you don't have at least one holiday away from home a year its considered poverty. No joke.

Christ when I was a kid I was lucky to even get a holiday in 5 years. We've brought up a spoiled generation....how will they cope with the downturn?

Brits have enjoyed and squandered the luxury now face the consequences.