Personal View site logo
Adobe Lightroom 4 topic
  • The previous Lightroom 3 allowed cataloging and thumbnails, but LR4 supports basic grading of video using AVCHD and Canon DSLR Quicktime .mov formats. It's still a bit crude and I'm sure you'll still want to grade with something more fully featured, but I still thought it was a cool feature. See below for feature demo video.

Just checked and it's working for some GH2 footage shot on Quantum v7 (native MTS format).

I'm a big fan of Lightroom for grading my stills so I might even get some use out of this, although I have no idea at the moment what the export options are like for video.

Edit: I should probably add that Lightroom 4 is a free open beta so anyone can download it for Mac/Windows and use it until April or so when the retail release happens.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • What happens after you grade? Does it have to render?

• Can't run it yet. But it does look cool. Can you select 5 clips and be able to play it full screen like a playlist? One after the other?

• I like how easy the controls look on this, but it seems a bit silly that you have to make a preset from a still to apply changes to your video. I'll be interested to see how deep Lightroom ends up going into the video side of things in future releases. It would be nice to see it support a variety of codecs for import/export and maybe even employ some dynamic link technology to hook up with Premiere and After Effects. But then again, Adobe may want to keep Lightroom geared towards photo grading and leave the video stuff to After Effects. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Does it recompress .mts file (and lose quality) ?

• @dsavage, I don't get the preset thing either. It feels like a workaround but even Adobe is demoing it in their LR4 videos - why then pretend video isn't supported in the Develop window?

@tonalt, the options for export are 'Original' (which just exports the MTS original file without grading), H.264, and DPX sequence.

Another thing to keep in mind is not all the adjustment controls and various effects work on video, so you might apply a preset used for stills on a video clip and find that it looks different because not everything carries over to video (added grain, for instance).

• Things need to be addressed:

Export is H.264 with the highest setting 22mbs They need to allow quicktime codecs so I can output DNxHD

I don't think you can play full screen

I don't think you can play a selection of clips to review (like a playlist)

Would like the slideshow module to work with video. Including TITLE, add MUSIC. Dissolve length, Ending TITLE. Maybe even a title card before each clip, that can display the file name and length.

And to answer an earlier comment. With EVERY camera out their shooting video, Adobe needs to support video in LR. Just like Photoshop is for editing at a pixel level, LR is a great, super fast way to manage, catalog, and lightly edit video.

Hope it matures before it is released.

• im a lightroom user too and the one thing that i look forward too is the ease in categorizing sorting and renaming. grading is an afterthought. it would be pretty sweet if you could pre grade it then save the profile for premiere to use for proper rendering.

• The implementation sucks.

But you can safely assume this: over the coming years, video and photo will merge as a video is just a series of pictures. This means that photoshop/lightroom/premiere will likely merge, and aperture/final cut pro x will. Especially when camera's/NLE systems move to RAW. Adobe and Apple have very good positions in that regard. Sony and Avid have a bigger challenge ahead of them.

• I like LR4.

It displays thumbnails of all MTS files before importing so that I can choose what I want. I can customize renaming of the files and folder creation policy and the location of folders then save the settings as a preset. Use the preset to import video files. It creates folders based on file creation date. Then I import the files into 5DtoRGB or PP.

• Lightroom 4.4 download links

New cameras supported

• Canon EOS 1D C
    • Canon EOS 100D (Digital Rebel SL1 / EOS Kiss Digital X7)
    • Canon EOS 700D (Digital Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss Digital X7i)
    • Casio Exilim EX-ZR700
    • Casio Exilim EX-ZR710
    • Casio Exilim EX-ZR750
    • Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR
    • Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR
    • Fujifilm FinePix SL1000
    • Fujifilm X100s
    • Fujifilm X20
    • Hasselblad H5D-40
    • Hasselblad H5D-50
    • Hasselblad Lunar
    • LEICA M (Typ 240)