Personal View site logo
Small and light one hand rig
  • 60 Replies sorted by
  • @brianluce
    As far as I can tell talking to video gear producers in China, worst idea today is to start busness with goal of making budget or middle level gear in USA. As many players are coming and are coming very seriously.
  • Great looking rig! I may have to shelve my Cowboy studio rig!
  • Re: "Note. Contact seller and mention this site name and you'll get DHL shipping worldwide for free."

This was not the case when I ordered. The seller said he did not receive the email in time (?) and that it would take an estimated 4 days to arrive here. After 10 days, I contacted him again and was told that it was important to mention this site in order to have received DHL shipping (!) - and that it was shipped out on the 29th and takes a week to arrive (?). The Canada Post tracking number provided no information until today, when a backdated message appeared saying, "Item Delayed - Temporary volume surge as we resume operations." Based on my experience so far, I can not recommend buying from this seller.
  • @last_SHIFT thanks for testing! Looking forward to hearing your review.
  • Ok saw this at the Apeture booth at the exhibition today. However it was in a glass case and they wouldn't take it out for inspection. Supposedly it will be available for sale here in a day or two for about 40USD. My suggestion is for anyone planning on buying from fleabay wait a bit for me to get one here and review it. Didnt look so good close up but we shall see I guess being the guinea pig for 40 bucks is OK. Stay tuned.
  • @stonebat

I really fucking love your rig - I just thought I would bitch and moan about the price of gear for the millionth time ;-)

I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me. I have a tripod, monopod (which i love) - now I'm looking into cage/shoulder mount. I may go with your set up after all.

BTW - how does the rig feel when you have the cage with the chest pad shooting handheld?
  • The PDF manual on their website has diagrams of all V1-3
  • > Is this info from manufacturer?

Yes, direct from manufacturer
  • @Jive

Is this info from manufacturer?
  • > How do you know?

Yes, both v2 and v3 will be based on a rod system. Both will also come with follow focus (though who knows what kind of quality), shoulder pad, & waist belt. The belt has a pocket that allows a rod from the rig to be placed in for added support.

The main difference between the v2 and v3 is that the v3 will come with TWO handles, a top handle, and some additional accessories (like an Israeli arm). V3 will even come with a bracket that may be able to be used with as a shoulder pad offset.

I'm mostly curious what price points these units will be sold at considering the price of v1, as long as quality is decent, they may be a good starter option for those on limited budgets.
  • @last_SHIFT it depends. a good rig can serve many camera bodies over long periods. i plan to use mine for many years. all parts r lifetime guaranteed. i could buy a set of specialized gears like a hand rig, a shoulder rig, a cage rig. what if they don't fit into new camera body? more specialized gears? don't get me wrong. i love cheap gears. i love cheap legacy lenses. i love cheap FF gear. but having many specialized rigs would force me carry more stuffs. if i carry more rig parts than any other gadgets, something must be wrong. so i decided to get high quality & versatile rig. prolly i spent around $900. all my lenses combined worth less than $1200. haha.

whatever works for u. im just sharing my opinion. YMMV.
  • >There is a V1/2/3 - the FF rods will come with the other versions

WHow do you know?
    They said that V2/V3 are not ready in any form and won't be present at exhibition, btw.
  • There is a V1/2/3 - the FF rods will come with the other versions. I really like your set up Stonebat but Berkey is still too expensive for what it is ( like most gear ).
  • Me?

I plan to make a video about my hand rig using parts from Berkey System in this long weekend. It works great when I don't need to carry audio gears.

The one shown here... I like the price, but where are FF rods clamp? It's so much easier to hold with a handle in front of a camera body. It stabilizes better. I use FF rods clamp to install a rod & a handle.

The rig is sorta too specialized in my taste. I'm sure some will find it useful at $89. It's just that I don't want to buy a lot of specialized gears. My simple rig can be expanded easily to support a system like editman's. He got it. Bring the center of weight closer to eyes. That eliminates adding balance weights.
  • Still don't know what I want next.. slider or chest mount.. or keep playing more with my flycam.

I can't find any video about this kind of chest mount... stonebat??
  • Want to add one thing - contact seller and mention this site name and you'll get DHL shipping worldwide for free.
  • Hmm.. interesting name.
  • Hmm.. interesting, should be a good addition to my flycam.

But I always wonder how stable with this kind of shoulder/chest mount? You really have to walk slow to get stable footage?
  • >I didn't get those rigs for $65.

In this case they had been smart. Business is business :-)

>... I don't sell those rigs anymore so have no need to talk down on other products.

I understand, and all info including negative must be present.
    But manufacturer seems to be different.

>But other than that the other parts look exactly identical except for the colour.

What I understand after many talks with bunch of manufacturers is that Chinese manufacturers and subcontractors are sometimes complete mystery. Bunch of small and medium firms positioned as manufacturers are only resellers.
  • I didn't get those rigs for $65. I wish I did though. And you're right on closer look they are not collapsable stocks.
    Just offering my knowledge... I don't sell those rigs anymore so have no need to talk down on other products. But other than that the other parts look exactly identical except for the colour.
  • >The manufacturer that I sourced the parts from has gone kaput, looks like this one picked up the reins.

I have big doubts about this.
    Added. Manufacturer official reply - it is not true.

>The biggest problems were that the collapsable stocks were loose; knobs fell off easily and the camera plates did not fit well. Still, if you get a good copy it is indeed very cool for run 'n gunning and for that price? can't complain either.

First. This one do not have collapsable stocks.
    Second. Your "knobs fell off easily and the camera plates did not fit well" sound really bad and I do not know how it relate to this manufacturer, really. Especially considering the fact that sold many rigs consisting of this $65 one and pistol grip with clamp for about $400. This information must have been in your initial offerings, don't you think? :-)
  • It seems very similar to the one I had sold though I see minor differences. Minus the trigger shutter release grip of course...
    The manufacturer that I sourced the parts from has gone kaput, looks like this one picked up the reins.
    But nearly half of their stock was shit so I had to personally test them first. The biggest problems were that the collapsable stocks were loose; knobs fell off easily and the camera plates did not fit well. Still, if you get a good copy it is indeed very cool for run 'n gunning and for that price? can't complain either.
    "Caveat Emptor"
  • How about a shock absorber w/ hot shoe mount?