Personal View site logo
Physical modelling synths
  • 42 Replies sorted by
  • @johnnym

re: CUDA and most video guys have never heard of audio ;p and as we hurtle towards AVID ditching Pro Tools and making it a shared prog with MC - scary lol WIth FCP rapidly and inexorably heading to history in the pro environment and AVID merging their video and audio products, I forsee a bit of a bunfight with editors with audio aspirations and dubbing mixers.

• Chromaphone is fantastic! It does percussion amazingly well (esp. metallic stuff, but also good at skins and woods). Also some pretty nice plucked (guitars and basses) and even some big pads. I got it for 1/2 price with an educational discount, but if you want one of the other AAS plugins you can currently buy any 2 for $199.
  • Good job VK! Nice find! Will check this out... sounds like it could be Synful for Percussion!
  • Chromaphone looks interesting. The audio demos sound fantastic. I'm downloading the trial version now...
  • @VK
    Lots of 'master' keyboards exist exactly for this. So really what has occurred is hardware companies make hardware only, and software developers do their thing. All connected together by USB/MIDI.

This is basically how I use my Technics P30... (With lots of logic synths... & Laptop) + various foot controls etc...
  • Awesome thread Vitaliy.
    I use Pianoteq - I will look into the others. Pteq v3 is *must have
  • @bitcrusher

I can tell you one core word - "tablets".
    With cheap and fast tablets whole synth market must be reorganized.
    Moving actual synths to the software and starting to make really good keyboards with really sturdy controls.
    Unfortunately, such words as "optimization" and "size" had been forgotten lately.
    So, we have bunch of huge libraries and CPU hungry synths.
  • Most audio guys have never heard of CUDA :)

Seriously though, the problem is latency.

off-topic :
    These guys do some nonlinear behaviour modelling with CUDA based on Volterra series. They're the only company to use CUDA for audio, as far as i know. I like their concept, and their democratic approach. Audio latency is quite high though, which makes it less useable for tracking. For mixing this doesn't matter.
    http://www.acustica-audio.com/
  • Stuff like pianoteq is the beging of a new pyridine soft synths were physical molding starts to get good. Good as in real. They have been at it for the last couple of years. I am quite surprised that I have not seen anyone take advantage of CUDA cores.

NAMM is coming up I am sure there will be some new molding synths.

I have not checked out AAS for a long time they also made a cool software modular system called Tasman that all their products are is biased off of.

Kyma is also very interesting if you want the nuts and bults of modal synthesis, but its an expensive hardware option.

And the legendary Yamaha VL-1, Brass uses the same algorithm so its kind of funny that they are making it sound all new technology. Brass licensed the technology from yamaha.

Physical Molding has been a niche market for synths for a while, it sonds like a new technology but they have been hacking away at it for over a decade. It never really caught on in the marketplace that wants bigger sample libraries or the latest fad soft synth.

The guys that really used it too its full extent are the woodwind controller guys.
  • Sorry @VK Logic is currently Apple only (Apple bought Emagic in what 2004-5?) Then they did what any company would do to protect business... kill off competition with rivals,... so it became mac only.

Logic - since being updated for the App Store has however slid in price again... now $200ish...

Sculpture is quite an amazing physical modeling thing... try it out if you get a chance.
  • >Logics Sculpture

Is it Apple only?
  • Logics Sculpture... now for $29.99 (in Mainstage)...

Sculpture-91dbf2471dfe2b2557eb24ec0ffbd8ab.jpg
    1728 x 1316 - 404K
  • I have a Roland V-piano and I must say the pianoteq is bloody good - running it very close if not better on certain patches.