Personal View site logo
AVCHD maximum image quality, series 2
  • 111 Replies sorted by
  • Here is the video guy's my last link was broken...
    ISO 640
    Shutter 50th
    Profile Dynamic (Love it for night shots)
    Lens 20mm f1.7
    Custom White Balance
  • I think @driftwood and others have done a super job on GOP1 settings, and the area of GOP1 patches seem to be the most worked on patches to date.

It would now be great if we could go back to some of the stuff that @cbrandin was doing: trying to get a non-GOP1 maximum image quality to bitrate effeciency ratio. Chris's patch is great, but it doesn't span yet--so that would be good to do. This line of patch-making is still important I think since for many applications people will not need or want to use GOP1.

I've yet to embark on trying out my own patches / experimenting. So I present this simply as a humble suggestion to testers out there.
  • Chris's patches are excellent already, that's probably why we haven't heard much from him lately - he felt comfortable with his extremely hard endeavours (No one has worked harder than Chris apart from Vitaliy). I don't think at that size bitrate they can be beaten, but yes, newcomers should give it a go and not be afraid to. Most of the settings now have been explored enough not to brick the camera. There's room for improvement everywhere, even the GOP1 stuff, and don't forget Vitaliy hasn't finished with the GH2 yet, the new 1.1 firmware from Panny should prove an insight into where we can go next. Quite intrigued by this mp4 version of 1080p25 at 20mb/s which looks like could happen - and how it will affect the current system & encoder.
  • I'm using Chris patch 44/32 for production.
    Patched with previous ptool, but latest ptool did not patch it right i got card write errors ...
  • So, at the moment what would be the patch with the best compromise quality/duration?

Thank you in advance
  • Hello everyone!
    Like LongJohnSilver I would like to ask the same: what is the de facto patch with highest quality vs stability at the moment? I am looking for an equivalent of cbranding 66m updated to the latest hack. I love Driftwood's patches but they require some fine refining I think. Don't get me wrong! They look really amazing but some of them still misbehave for me.
    I hope your programming efforts will continue rather than waiting for the new firmware 1.1 hack from Vitaliy.
  • Quantum is excellent. believe. It took hundreds of tests to get to this stage. And hi, to @piotremanuel, fellow Brightonian! :-)
  • @driftwood
    Is this the latest Quantum V2 beta?
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/28583#Comment_28583
    I saw that L settings should be used for span & long recording.
    Wouldn't be better using directly the aquamotion or spanmyb for longer recording times?

Hummm seems like all the GOP3 patches were discontinued

Thank you Nick for your great work

LJS

• Are there any reliable GOP6 or 12 patches working with the latest ptool guys? Please, everything I tried so far gives me reliability issues. Chris's 66M GOP12 was what I needed for now for the long shots but it hasn't been updated with the latest ptool and gives me card write errors. UPDATE! I've just realised what caused the problem with cbranding 66M- I was ticking the max iso limit in ptools. Since I left it untouched everything spans and the write errors are gone. Now, since I covered that for myself, it's the quest for the Driftwood's best stable GOP1 :o) Seems I am talking to myself here since everyone is so excited about the FW 1.1 now :o)
  • Nice finding piotre, so as I understand you have the new 64Gb card, turn off iso limit, and you have no probs with Quantum/seaquake?
  • @LongJohnSilver yes still in beta test, a few improvements coming in v3 :-)
  • @driftwood The iso tick problem with the latest ptool applies to Chris's patch. Without it ticked it spans, goes on for over half an hour and doesn't give any card errors. I haven't experimented with yours in this way yet but it's a good hint, thanks. Unfortunately the current weather is not permitting the "moon test" where I had the problems.
  • @piotremanuel Yeah, its an observation VK knows about.
  • @driftwood Oh, I didn't find any mention of it anywhere.. I think it should be spelt out for those who have write problems with cbrandin patch.
  • @driftwood Your patches behave well, it seems to be something I am screwing up on Macbook Pro. The vid decoders on Mac struggle with very dark footage, so do the YouTube ones it seems when uploading the original clips, however Sony Vegas on PC deals with the footage with ease. So much more for me to experiment with...
    So, to summarise, your patches ARE reliable. I felt I should have clarified this.
  • I have a question about @cbranidin 44M

I used it with Pretec 32GB class 10 cards, actually more like class 6 cards. I shoot everything 24p. I did some tests and everything looked as it should (first screen)

I went on a vacation and my oh my, real life footage doesn't seem so perfect in stream parser. Where is the bitrate, where is the consistency?

Some of it was cut in camera, but I did some tests for in camera cutting and it looked in stremparser exactly the same as before cutting.

Is it the compression adapting itself to different conditions, or is there something wrong?

Help will be very much appreciated.

It's my first post here so if there's a better place to post this question please tell me.
    test.jpg
    1280 x 645 - 147K
    reallife_0001.jpg
    1280 x 646 - 148K
    reallife_0002.jpg
    1280 x 645 - 145K
    reallife_0003.jpg
    1280 x 645 - 137K
    reallife_0004.jpg
    1280 x 645 - 136K
    reallife_0005.jpg
    1280 x 645 - 137K
  • @JanNowak They don't look good. You have virtual frames there. V frames happen when the encoder goes skewifth.
  • @piotremanuel Thanks for the report mate. Yeah seaquake Quantum, etc... all should be good. These are highly measured settings and shouldn't ever go wrong.
  • @Driftwood
    If Vitaliy is able to finish the new firmware portation this weekend, do you think that Quantum new firm based would be available this weekend also?
  • @paglez

No way I'll be able to finish porting this weekend.
  • @Vitaliy
    It does not matter. thanks!
  • @driftwood I'll assume “the encoder goes skewifth” means It's not working properly ; ) Any idea why?

Is it time to hack my GH2 with some other settings? Would you recommend some rock solid ones that would work on a class 6 card and keep the file size within reason? Of course „maximum quality” ; )
  • @JanNowak Did you try AQuamotion v2? or SpanmyB*tchUp?
  • @driftwood A friend recommended the @cbrandin 44M settings and they are the only ones I have tried. I am not a tester type, finding all the necessary information and understanding how to hack my gh2 was difficult enough for me. The initial test went well so I didn't feel a need to change anything else ...until I checked the real life footage out.

I have to say I admire you guys for the immense work it takes for perfecting the settings.

I got V frames on 27 out of 123 files, almost all of those 123 have been cut in camera, and I think all of the 27 files have been cut in camera. @cbrandin said „StreamParser identifies frames as V frames when there is something wrong with a header and what type of video frame it is can't be identified by looking at transport stream header data.„ Using any software that allows .mts cutting results in stream parser almost always showing V frames. I thought it was bad so i decided to cut in camera since when testing I got no V frames on in camera cut footage.

So is there really anything to be worried about? The footage looks nice and the chart full of V frames looks just as any other chart only without colors ; )
  • @Driftwood
    This was shot using the Seaquake patch:

Hats off to all involved when it comes to the gh2 developments.