Personal View site logo
Microsoft Windows Next Plan and Core OS
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev I agree on all points. These are my tactical mitigation measures. I'm taking back some measure of control, in an environment which is set up against personal liberty.

All political systems, present or historical, are set up against personal liberty. "Society effort" will never amount to anything much, as long as it is bribed with creature comforts. Corporations, or the CCP, have the bribing part down. We can't win against the Death Star, the most we can do is opt out and live on the fringes, in rebel bases.

• @radikalfilm

If you want to use tactical defense - use most mass market solutions, but use your head to avoid trouble (while it is possible).

For example - for 99% of people Windows 10 with proper tuning will be much more secure and will do much less hard damage (in case of issue) compared to some Linux or nice sounding MacOS X. It is just much harder to catch fish among billions, especially if it avoids the paths of mass fish migration.

• I hate to admit it. But that’s true.

• You can now use Cortana on your PCs to translate their thoughts into direct actions to open and find files and save time spent navigating to apps/folders to locate and open files.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2020/12/03/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-20270/

It seems they found nice way to send info about all your files and their content into their cloud.

• And truth slowly is being revealed

After years of waiting, it looks like Microsoft now has a true answer to Chrome OS. A new and near-final version of Windows 10X has leaked, and it offers a first look at the changes Microsoft has made to the upcoming operating system to get it ready for laptops.

The comparisons to Chrome OS are immediately obvious here, with a launcher and the focus on web apps. You can even install Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) from the built-in Chromium Edge browser and pin them to the taskbar.

You can drag and drop apps to run them side by side, but there’s no way to allow apps to freely resize.

Microsoft is still working on this container technology, and it appears as a developer-only mode in this latest version of 10X. That could mean end users won’t be able to install regular desktop apps on Windows 10X when it ships

We need some severe punishment to all creators who made this.

• In this I totally agree with you @vitaliy_kiselev.

This kind of innovation at this stage in time is like making death machines back in the day for the crusaders and its Christians folks.

Terrible job to pick up on! This creativity is totally wronged.

• New information

Compared to previous versions of the OS, the architecture of Windows 10X has many changes. Not all existing software written for earlier versions of Windows can be installed and run on it. Initially, the developers planned to implement native support for classic Win32 applications along with UWP applications. But in the process, the plans changed and the tasks became more complicated.

In the first releases, there will be no native support for Win32 applications. The developers have postponed this task on the back burner.

OS will o everything to prevent you using or even installing applications obtained from any place outside Windows Store.

Microsoft new plans as I hear from developers is to make at least 40-50% installs to be from their app store.

Their big attack in coming 2 years will be against companies like Adobe or Autodesk, as Microsoft want to get at least 15% of all their huge profits from subscription model.

• Microsoft is gearing up to flip the switch on the Azure-powered service as soon as this summer, perhaps in June or early July.

With Cloud PC, you may be able to access a Windows desktop remotely and use software such as Microsoft Office. That could come in handy if you frequently switch between devices and want access to the same desktop anywhere, or if you have an underpowered system and a solid enough internet connection. Companies would also be able to set up employees with basic hardware and manage their Windows 10 networks with Cloud PC.

In short - they will own all your files, and it is only remote RDP desktop.

This is big dream of all top management as they want to become second Adobe and live from subscription.

• its 2021. how does anyone have an unpowered system? unless you're 3-D folding gene proteins. and RDP is a bad idea due to poor internet connections and your files will get deleted.

• @hardimpact

In 2020 usage of RDP and similar remote desktops rose around 3-5 times due to remote work.

Lot of companies need this as having files outside their private network makes it very hard from legal and other points.

• According to Petri.com, “Microsoft will not be shipping Windows 10X this year and the OS as you know it today, will likely never arrive.”

https://petri.com/microsoft-shelves-windows-10x-it-is-not-shipping-in-2021

It is pretty strange information, but Microsoft certainly will push 10X features as 10 updates.

• I do tech support at my job, and for money when it's rich guys, and I can't figure out who is the worst these days. Apphole, Micro$uck, A$$dobe, all on a race to the bottom.

Linux looks better and better for home use, but when do we get proper production tools? Are they out there and I'm just missing them? Does Resolve run on Linux?

• @BradMowrey

Linux is fully controlled by same guys, 95% commits to Linux kernel lately are made by large corporation drones who just do it as their job. Numbers are very close for all large open source projects, around two years ago I checked and minimal number was 80-82%.

Can check story of CentOS if you want to look for any free distributive.

Resolve runs on Linux, btw.

• "Instead of bringing a product called Windows 10X to market in 2021 like we originally intended, we are leveraging learnings from our journey thus far and accelerating the integration of key foundational 10X technology into other parts of Windows and products at the company," Microsoft VP John Cable said in a blog post. "In fact, some of this is already reflected in the core of Windows in Windows Insider preview builds, for example the new app container technology"

Company decided to silently push bad features via updates to everyone who has Windows 10.

• @BradMowrey It took a lot of push and pull to get to this point: image And even then, no video preview on H.264 (forget about H.265), no AAC audio, no ProRes. I followed instructions and installed codecs and enabled Nvidia etc. I don't have time to play these games with the system.

In comparison, I took some 2 minutes to install Flowblade (native editor only available for Linux). No problem loading MP4, MKV, AAC, ProRes, etc. Smooth sailing. image

To me at least, is not worth the headache trying to get Resolve to work, because it won't behave like its Windows counterpart (which I actually use for work. no problems).

TheStateOfResolveInLinux.jpg
    1172 x 720 - 96K
    FlowbladeJustWorks.jpg
    1221 x 716 - 127K
  • @theusualeditor was this with the free version? I have no issues with the studio version.

• As I told:

“We'll be sharing one of the most significant Windows updates in a decade soon to open up more options for developers and creators. I've been testing myself for the past few months and I'm incredibly excited about the new generation of Windows. We promise you this: We will create more opportunities for every Windows developer, and we welcome every creator who is looking for the most innovative, new, open platform for creating, distributing and monetizing applications. We look forward to sharing the details as soon as possible, ”said Satya Nadella.

• Microsoft announced that it'll be officially unveiling the new version of its operating system on June 24th at 11AM Eastern. The company has begun sending out invites to media, and it's revealed that CEO Satya Nadella and chief product officer Panos Panay will be headlining the event.

We have a bad months ahead.

• Microsoft has revealed when it will put Windows 10 out to pasture. It will stop support for the current operating system on October 14th, 2025. That means Microsoft expects the transition to the next version of Windows, which it will show off on June 24th, to take around four years.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

• Windows 10x is fully alive and is called Windows 11

sa17449.jpg
    738 x 495 - 51K
    sa17450.jpg
    747 x 587 - 52K
    sa17451.jpg
    747 x 599 - 76K
  • Windows 11 Home will now require an internet connection at setup — and a Microsoft account. Previous versions would let you opt out of Microsoft accounts by creating a local account instead.

As expected.