Personal View site logo
Panasonic S1 FF Camera - copy of Nikon Z6
  • 275 Replies sorted by
  • In 2020 S1 price will match cheap Sony A7 offerings and will set around $999.

Hope their new prices go sub $1K! Might convince me to skip the Panasonic G9 as my vlogging camera upgrade.

Firmware 1.5, adds 25/50p to the US NTSC 30p version

Yessss! Hate it when cameras are not global cameras.

• Panasonic has announced that they will be releasing firmware update programs for the LUMIX Digital Single Lens Mirrorless cameras S1R, S1H and S1 to enhance functions and usability by the end of 2020.

The new firmware enables the S1R to record 5K video, making the most of its high-resolution image sensor. Also, LUMIX’s state-of-the-art AF technology and performance of the new LUMIX S5 will also be available on the S1R, S1H and S1. The upgraded AF notably excels in detection of human and its movement. In addition to the eye, face, body the head is also separately recognized by real-time detection technology to provide even more precise focusing. The camera keeps tracking the subject person even if he/she moves quickly, turns his/her back to the camera, tilts his/her head or moves far away from the camera. On the other hand, improvements to the DFD technology has enhanced AFC, which also enables users to keep tracking small or fast-moving subjects to capture them in crisp focus. Users can take these advantages in both photo shooting and video recording.

Panasonic further addresses technology development and its achievement shall be applied not only to the new products but also to those already released via firmware update.

• Apparently we're getting firmware for Raw out, internal 6k and user switchable dual ISO?!

https://www.l-rumors.com/panasonic-announces-firmware-update-programs-for-the-lumix-s1h-s1r-s1-s5-and-lumix-g100-and-further-upgrades-for-the-lumix-s1-with-a-future-firmware-update/

Its all over Facebook groups, too. First half of 2021 isn't super encouraging, but its something!

• this camera has a good price but if you want to buy some lenses you will need to sell your house...i honestly would have sold my gh5 for the s5 but looking at the price of the L mount lenses i gave it up..not to mention weight and portability...

• New firmware now released for S1 (and SH1, S1R, S5) - https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html

Improved AF - head recognition, during VLOG... AF+MF while recording, SS/Gain Operation, video via wifi, etc.

• @WalterH

Full changes:

1. Improved AF performance
      • Tracking and recognition performance of AF have been improved with an addition of head recognition.
      • Recognition performance during video recording in V-Log has been improved.
      • Human/Animal recognition can be set ON or OFF when the AF mode is set to [1-Area] or [1-Area+].
      • [AF+MF] can be used during video recording.
    2. Added video functions
      • [SS/Gain Operation] function has been added.
      • [Red REC Frame Indicator] function has been added.
      • It is possible to play back vertical videos vertically.
    3. Other added functions
      • 4K video files can be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi.

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html

• L-Rumors says firmware 2.0 this week... I sure hope so!

• LUMIX S1 Firmware Version 2.0 upcoming

Release - 6th April 2021

Changes for the LUMIX S1 with the software upgrade key DMW-SFU2 include:

• 6K (5952x3968) / 5.9K(5888x3312) / 5.4K(5376x3584) video recording mode in MOV format
      • 6K24p, 4:2:0 10bit LongGOP, 200Mbps, LPCM
      • 5.9K30p/25p/24p, 4:2:0 10bit LongGOP, 200Mbps, LPCM
      • 5.4K30p/25p, 4:2:0 10bit LongGOP, 200Mbps, LPCM
    • C4K (4096x2160) video recording mode in MOV format
      • C4K60p/50p, 4:2:0 10bit LongGOP, 200Mbps, LPCM
      • C4K60p/50p, 4:2:0 8bit LongGOP, 150Mbps, LPCM
      • C4K30p/25p/24p, 4:2:2 10bit LongGOP, 150Mbps, LPCM
    • 4K (3840x2160) 10-bit video recording mode in MOV format
      • 4K60p/50p, 4:2:0 10bit LongGOP, 200Mbps, LPCM
    • Anamorphic (3328x2496) video recording mode in MOV format
      • 4K-A50p, 4:2:0 10bit LongGOP, 200Mbps, LPCM
      • 4K-A50p, 4:2:0 8bit LongGOP, 150Mbps, LPCM
      • 4K-A30p/25p/24p, 4:2:2 10bit LongGOP, 150Mbps, LPCM
    • [Time-Code] Function
    • RAW video data output over HDMI function
    • [5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic(4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW video data output can be output over HDMI.
      • The Apple ProRes RAW can be recorded on Atomos NINJA V.

Changes for the LUMIX S1 without the software upgrade key DMW-SFU2 include:

• [Dual Native ISO Setting] function has been added.
    • Users can choose to add or remove orientation information in [Vertical Position Info (Video)] menu to prevent unintended image rotation in playback.
    • [Power Save Mode] can be selected while the camera is powered with an AC adaptor (DMW-AC10, sold separately).
    sa16755.jpg
    757 x 94 - 33K
  • We are at v2.0 firmware and still no shutter with degrees for old timers like me... Sigh.

• @Alco it has shutter angle now, has had for awhile, actually. And thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev I was in the market for a second one with that lens, so I bought it. Now to see if they still want $200 for the vlog upgrade...

• If Panasonic were feeling generous, would it be possible to upgrade the firmware on this camera to include 6K BRAW, Prores RAW or Uncompressed CineRAW internal recording to CFExpress cards? Is this feasible? If not, could it be hacked to do this? Thanks.

• Finding the specs a bit confusing - is there 10-bit 4:2:2 4k available after the paid firmware upgrade?

Thanks

• My body has firmware 1.0 - this needs upgraded to vers 1.2 before I can activate the DMW-SFU2 paid upgrade. So far, I can only find vers 2.2 on the Panasonic website. Is there an archive of older formware that anybody knows about, or can I install 2.2 then install the paid upgrade (vers 2) over that? Thanks

• @mrbill

Usually a 2.2 contains all the bells and whistles from the previous version(s). There is no need for a cascaded upgrade with older versions.

• Thanks - got there in the end