Personal View site logo
State of home 3D
  • Contrary to true professionals (c) opinion it don't want to die or fade.
    Quite the opposite.
    LG, Samsung and other firms now transferred price war to 3D sets also.
    So, went and got 47" LG TV. Works good.

For family - one more entertaiment for hot season.
  • 17 Replies sorted by
  • Honestly I don't know one (one) person that sits down with their family to watch 3D. What has happened though is that people 'want' to have 3D, and companies have decided that its now no longer an 'optional extra'. These companies love marketing 3D, considering that there is very little difference between standard TV and 3DTV (increased frequency for shutter glasses).

So this is a Win Win for these companies. They get to use easy technology for maximum profit. I am looking forward to 3D without glasses, and sync-able GH2/GH3's. Or maybe Ill get 2 Scarlet X's (but they are HEAVY man!) 3D production has now entered myth status as being 'easy' and 'cheap'. Maybe Mythbusters should bust that myth.

Believe me- I really want 3D to work... there are still just a 'few' things to work out for the 'normal' production. Especially for cinematic 3D.

The 3D business is a cruel and shallow money
    trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and
    pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side.

H.S.Thompson (THE MUSIC BUSINESS)
  • @alcomposer
    >Honestly I don't know one (one) person that sits down with their family to watch 3D.

It is sad. I know a few. :-)

LG do not use shutter glasses. They use polarization and passive glasses.
    As for marketing. I have some sales information and can tell you that 3D sets picked up fast in last months.
    Now heavy price war is happening in normal LCD TVs, and few months back war had been moved to 3D sets also.
    "3D without glasses" won't happen without big restrictions and won't be technology used in common sets.
  • It's the (lack of) content, alcomposer. But, it's coming. ESPN 3D is compelling. 2011 Summer XGAMES was awesome. 2012 Winter XGAMES will be even better. We can look to live sports to to lead the revolution, just like HD adoption. 3Net is producing a very solid content portfolio (not just recycling old IMAX movies). They'll come out guns blazing at CES.

We're nearly out of the death-valley of 3D Blu-ray content (however, keeping Transformers 3D and Avatar exclusive is brain dead). Pirates 4 is a stunningly good 3D Blu-ray.

Distribution quality has been an issue as well. VOD options will improve dramatically next year - allowing streaming of 3D content in Full HD (not just frame-compatible 1/2 res).

The production side remains messy, for sure. But, it's getting better on the pro side, quickly. 3ality's IntelleCam auto-configuration system is fantastic. CameronPace is certifying stereographers - and they are getting it DONE in live sports and theatrical production. Cameras are improving. Post-production is... well.... that still pretty much sucks.

End-user created content is an area ripe to explode. It's now EASY to pick up a $1300 Sony TD10 3D camcorder and go shoot a family event (soccer game, holiday play) - and - come back and show the family on a $800 passive 3D TV. The results are mind-blowing. I've seen it happen.
  • 3D LCD shipments were up 27% last quarter. 2D LCD panels shipments remained flat.
  • Got the same TV as you do Vitaliy :) Great value for money. We went for a 3D set because only the entry level TVs now are 2D, so if you want a better 2D picture you have to get a 3D set. Mind you in saying that I've used 3D more than I though I would. There is more and more content coming out in it, games are fantastic in 3D
  • @Dazza

One of LG advantages is that it is very easy to make 3D out of game or anything.
    because you don't need frequency doubling.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev I know about LG's tech, was in JVC screen 2 years back selling for 15k. But having worked in 3D extensively there are quite a few hurdles. What I am trying to say is that majority of users will not be sitting down every night, (or once a week) and viewing 3D content. Many people will buy just because they want "3D".

Also having worked on 3D films - camera tech (unless using Peter Jacksons or James Camerons rig) is just not there yet. And many directors that do have the cash and resources to shoot in 3D simply can't stand the restricting issues of having to lug around 2x cameras and the mirror box etc. They opt for 3D conversion- which is regardless of what people want to believe is getting better every day!

Considering the 'small' form factor of the GH2, (1/4 size of AF100 etc) it would make an amazing 3D camera setup. But this is not for discussion in this topic- only 'GH2 Fantasies Topic'.
  • Something that annoys me with 3D is that the feeling of depth is somehow killed by the imposed focus. If one day we can combine the focus free tech we saw emerging recently and 3D, that will be interesting ! Having some sort of glasses/helmet that could read where we want focus, and change the display accordingly.
    The other thing I'd like to see (for gaming), is field of view orientation change while moving, something like this guy did with wii remote : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vhh5_de-la-3d-dans-votre-ecran-2d_tech
  • @lenuisible

Most movies with deep 3D have big DOF .
    About imposed focus - it could be real fun. It will also allow to make more effects without eye strain.
    Anout orientation - this is not very important. It is good to have, but hard to implement.
  • Apparently with Scorcese's new film Hugo he took time to film with 3D in mind..lots of reviews gave it a lot of respect towards that. So im interested in seeing it for how he approached 3D where others have lacked.

Now Tintin...that gave me a headache....solely that every action sequence seemed to force the 3D down your throat...zipping the camera view up characters nostrils and flying out their asses every few minutes.

This is the mistake by some filmmakers and 3D is the lack of subtlety...we dont need to be grabbed by the throat and shook consistantly while shouting "LOOK ITS THREEEE DEEEEE!!!" to make a impact.
    This is my problem with many 3D films.

For example I was suprised how subtle Avatar was and it added immersion....shame about the plot though.

I dont own a 3D tv...I could buy one but it just seems like a fad to me...like it was in the past...just a bit more advanced technology wise. Here in UK they keep dropping prices and adding free Bluray players and extra glasses (y'know for Gran and Grandad).
  • >Now Tintin...that gave me a headache....solely that every action sequence seemed to force the 3D down your throat...zipping the camera view up characters nostrils and flying out their asses every few minutes.

Why not?
    In animation you can do it, and public like it.

>This is the mistake by some filmmakers and 3D is the lack of subtlety

I think here you express your personal opinion.
    Now shooting 3D cost big money and you must be sure that you'll return it.
    And subtlety could cause problems :-)

>For example I was suprised how subtle Avatar was and it added immersion

But it do not use many techniques much, yes.

>...I could buy one but it just seems like a fad to me...like it was in the past

Believe me, it is not.
    I spend some time in research and talks.
    Market turned already and no return will happen.
  • Check out this technical review of Hugo...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Hugo-Ticket-28023.html

Here's the synopsis....

Final Verdict: This is the only perfect score I've given, and I don't imagine I'll be giving another one any time soon. The 3D in Hugo isn't just masterfully executed, and it doesn't just enhance every beautiful shot in the film. It's integral to understanding the film, the way it hearkens back to the earliest days of cinema, the way it talks about magic tricks and new technology as new ways of telling cinematic stories. Martin Scorsese probably understands movies better than anyone on earth, and he's proven that 3D can be as important as color or CGI. You owe it to yourself to see how well he proves it. "
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    >I spend some time in research and talks.
    Market turned already and no return will happen.

Any chance to get 3D working 'somehow/anyhow' in a not too distant future? Anything that allowed at least the first frame/s to be in sync would be amazing! (I won't ask for shutter now,... lets keep it real!)
  • alcomposer

3D works NOW on the GH1s and 2s. There are a number of stereo guys that have been using GH's professionally since the first GH1 hack became available. I personally have used them in several commercial productions, including Anomaly, a reality 3D TV show, and Shark Defenders, a 3D shark documentary. I've also shot short pickups for 2 theatrical releases.

GH1s and 2's can be used with MANUAL lenses using a power-up sync technique (essentially turning each camera on at exactly the same time from the same power source). In my case, this consistently results in less than .02 ms of offset at the beginning of each test run and seldom more than .1 ms after 5 min. My cameras are very close in serial number - which may help when it comes to drift over time. Several guys have constructed controllers that use the V-Sync signal from the cameras to monitor drift over time and allow a startup offset to extend the sync window (the cameras initially drift towards one another, reach perfect sync, then diverge over time). Details can be found in the 3D section here.

There are lots of hopeful enhancements that would improve GH's for stereoscopic use. The top of the list is a method to jam some sync signal into the cameras to serve as a sort of genlock. Failing that, we've experimented with a method of resetting the camera clocks using some sort of trigger (such as the audio signal hitting the rails). No reason to wait for those enhancements to get out and shoot great stereo with these cameras, however.
  • For me it is quite complicated. I mean using two cams. For now.

So I went with using Panasonic 3D lens for photos (it has also very small base, so you can shoot nearby objects).

And FijiFilm 3D W3 for family stuff and 3D clips.
  • You are right about that, it's a terrible pain in the butt. It's like Winston Churchill said about Democracy....

... dual-cameras and a beamsplitter is the worst method possible for creating 3D, except for every other method.