Personal View site logo
Canon G7 X Mark III, made for... vertical videos

Specs

• 61 Replies sorted by
  • New vlogger king?

• Bet they had to ask someone how to spell "4K."
    Something about this camera looks weird, but maybe it is a new design.

• @DrDave

I may be they lost half of their LSI design crew few years ago and recently found them in distant dark cold room eating rats all this time. And just told them that it is Panasonic to blame for this. ;-)

• I guess this is in line with what some canon representative says 'Our primary management goal this year is to raise our antennas high toward cutting-edge technology. It is on this point where we lag behind other companies, I have the sony a6000 and panasonic gh5 but being only a hobbyist I'll happily downgrade to this if it has the 4k 50p and dual pixel just for the sake of having it always in my pocket.

• This looks neat !

• Most fun thing is that rumor sites picked up finally on that it is renders.

For me it seems like first unusual Canon PR move. Publish renders and look at reaction.

• New vlogger king?

1" sensor + selfie screen + mic jack input

That would be a first for any P&S camera! And would make it perfect for vlogging with, I'd be very super keen on it (although, not right away. Being the Scrooge McDuck I am, I'd first wait for secondhand units to pop up at a substantial price discount).

• @MarcioK

Issue with fake polls is that rumors sites are in horrible shape due to slowing down of market. So they think about anything that can bring attention. Like with this renders they started to tell that it is renders with big delays and finally started going in circles.

• I would be surprised if they had changed the font on the camera. I mean, it's possible it was updated, but it's a trademark....

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev It would be good/common practice to include source link to these posts so reader could judge if it's real or not and get more information just by clicking on the link. Or is there a good reason to not include the source link?

• @tonalt

No one know real source here.

You can see link on images themselves, but rumors sites post them on anything.

• 24.1mp 1″ CMOS sensor
    • 10fps
    • DIGIC 8
    • 24-100mm f/1.8-f/2.8 Lens (4.2x Optical Zoom)
    • 3″ Articulating Touchscreen
    • 4K Video at 30fps
    • 1080p Video at 60fps
    • Built in Wi-Fi, NFC & GPS
    • Announcement: 2018
    • No mention about DPAF for 4K video.

More sane rumors

sa6086.jpg
    709 x 505 - 37K
    sa6087.jpg
    713 x 476 - 32K
    sa6088.jpg
    696 x 451 - 32K
  • Pre-announcement leak

• 20 million pixel 1.0 type back illuminated CMOS
    • DIGIC 8 LSI
    • RAW serial shooting at 30fps
    • 4K video
    • Full HD 120 fps movie
    • 3.5mm microphone input
    • Equipped with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
    • Size: 105.5 x 60.9 x 41.4 mm
    • Weight: 304g
    sa8991.jpg
    494 x 411 - 32K
    sa8992.jpg
    496 x 370 - 31K
    sa8993.jpg
    497 x 389 - 24K
    sa8994.jpg
    497 x 334 - 20K
  • Expected price

Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III will go for $749

• Ansel Adams, one of the greatest landscape photographers once said, "You don't take a photograph, you make it." Never have truer words been spoken as digital photography has evolved and storytelling is shared through multiple mediums. Providing visual storytellers more options to bring their imaginative visions to life, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, introduces the PowerShot G7 X III and the PowerShot G5 X Mark II cameras. Successors to the PowerShot G7 X II and PowerShot G5 X respectively, these new cameras usher in a plethora of new and innovative functionalities. Depending on the model, new innovative features include live-streaming available with YouTube* (via wireless connection), a pop-up electrical viewfinder (EVF) and 4K video shooting.

"Creators and photographers of all levels are reinventing the way stories are told and, as technology has progressed, so have the diverse needs of our customers," said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. "With features such as live-stream to YouTube* and a pop-up EVF, the PowerShot G7 X III and the PowerShot G5 X Mark II are true testaments to the company's commitment to integrate the latest advancements for those who choose to digitally stream their journeys with the world or seek to scale and capture the highest peaks."

Even though the PowerShot G7 X III and the PowerShot G5 X Mark II have many individualized, unique qualities, both include many core features that are true to Canon's imaging excellence. These features include:

• DIGIC 8 Imaging Processor
    • 20.1 Megapixel 1.0-inch stacked CMOS sensor to achieve high image quality, high functionality and fast speeds
    • 4K up to 30p, Full HD up to 60p, FHD up to 120p, HDR, high frame rate movie with no crop
    • High-speed continuous shooting at a maximum of 20 FPS
    • Highest ISO speed in the PowerShot category with a maximum of 12,800
    • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® connectivity
    • USB-C charge power supply

Craft Your Own Unique Visual Voice with the PowerShot G7 X III

Calling all YouTube creators, the PowerShot G7 X III is primed to be the next-generation vlogging camera. The PowerShot G7 X III features live-streaming to YouTube capability via a wireless connection, allowing for creators of all levels to easily capture and post content in real time. The PowerShot G7 X III also offers vertical video support, 4K up to 30P high-rate movie with no crop, full HD up to 120p, and an optical 4.2x lens, helping to achieve high image quality. Powered by the company's DIGIC 8 image processor, a new 20.1 Megapixel** sensor, and wrapped within a compact body with a microphone jack, the PowerShot G7 X III offers innovative technologies, an improved user interface and Creative Assist for both video and still photography needs.

Capture on-the-go with the PowerShot G5 X Mark II

A lighter, compact and premium point and shoot camera that touts a new pop-up EVF, touch and drag AF and new optical 5x lens, the PowerShot G5 X Mark II is perfectly positioned to provide high image quality and valuable functions. From trekking through various terrains of Patagonia where users can leverage the new panoramic shot feature, to capturing key moments with loved ones, the PowerShot G5 X Mark II will satisfy the needs of advanced amateurs who regularly use and are familiar with Canon EOS cameras as a second camera or integrate it into their daily lives.

The PowerShot G7 X III and the PowerShot G5 X Mark II have an estimated retail price of $749.99 and $899.99†, respectively and are expected to be available in August 2019. For more information and the full list of product specifications, visit http://shop.usa.canon.com/

• Canon UK PR

Canon Europe today bolsters its prestigious PowerShot G series with two new large sensor compact cameras that deliver a harmonious blend of performance and portability. With high speed continuous shooting and 4K movie (no crop), Canon provides content creators, vloggers and photography enthusiasts with a model to take their creativity and technical capabilities to the next level. Building on the quality of Canon’s existing range, the PowerShot G5 X Mark II features a new 5x f/1.8-2.8 lens and pop-up EVF, perfect for passionate photographers in need of a lightweight yet powerful travel camera. Meanwhile, the PowerShot G7 X Mark III boasts a 4.2x f/1.8 – 2.8 zoom lens and 3.5mm microphone input, providing content creators and aspiring vloggers with both incredible image quality and pin-sharp sound.

High quality imaging in a compact body

Weighing only 340 and 304 grams respectively, both the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and the PowerShot G7 X Mark III employ Canon’s powerful DIGIC 8 image processor for unbeatable shooting performance in a pocket-sized camera. With a 20.1 megapixel 1.0-type stacked sensor, both models achieve sensational image quality and vibrant colours for photos and 4K video footage. Making use of the CR3 RAW format, the latest additions to Canon’s G series have a wide dynamic range fully supported by Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) and other major third-party developing software, giving users greater flexibility during post-production.

The PowerShot G5 X Mark II is equipped with a superb 5x zoom lens – developed using Canon’s optical excellence expertise – to create crisp imagery for advanced photographers looking for a secondary camera. Along with its incredibly fast f/1.8-2.8 aperture, this model is perfect for low-light shooting scenarios such as capturing cities after dark – helping photographers to shoot further, faster and brighter than ever before. Comparatively, the PowerShot G7 X Mark III has a 4.2x f/1.8-2.8 zoom lens to help vloggers, who film in varying locations and conditions, shoot high-resolution videos, whatever the lighting. The shallow depth of field, produced by the large aperture in the latest additions to Canon’s PowerShot G series, allows photographers to capture subjects with stunningly sharp detail and create a beautiful bokeh effect for professional-looking images.

Complete creative control from Auto to Manual

For both advanced photography enthusiasts and vloggers looking to build their profile, these new compact cameras provide complete creative control in both Auto and Manual modes. From the first touch, the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and the PowerShot G7 X Mark III feel familiar and easy to use, with a menu design inspired by Canon’s best-in-class EOS cameras. With DSLR-like levels of control and personalisation with these models, users can enhance their technical abilities while on the go. A control ring provides users with direct access to crucial settings for a more hands-on approach and simpler operation. The PowerShot G5 X Mark II’s corner mounted pop-up OLED Electronic View Finder (EVF) with 100 per cent coverage and 2.36m dots allows for easier creative compositions, while the tilting touchscreen provides excellent visibility of shots from a wide variety of angles. For vloggers, the touchscreen feature on the PowerShot G7 X Mark III guarantees the ability to capture videos and photos of themselves in perfect focus – positioned correctly in the frame, for flawless looking content.

The PowerShot G5 X Mark II and the PowerShot G7 X Mark III both provide autofocus with confidence. A useful AF+MF feature has also been incorporated to allow for the focus to be manually adjusted, even after the autofocus has been achieved, to precisely capture subjects. A built-in ND filter promises stunning images with bold colours even when capturing in bright light.

To ensure users never miss a moment whilst travelling or on a city break, both cameras provide fast autofocus and incredible shooting speeds of 20fps in continuous mode. Both models also have a 30fps RAW Burst mode guaranteeing that even the most spontaneous moments can be captured. These unique capabilities make the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and the PowerShot G7 X Mark III essential for travel photographers and vloggers in need of a lightweight yet reliable camera.

Future-proof your content in 4K

Users of both cameras can create smooth, shake-free videos when filming on the go – whether they’re walking on uneven terrain or travelling in a vehicle, thanks to the in-camera digital image stabilisation. The HDR movie function minimises the loss of detail and the enhanced dynamic range enables video enthusiasts to unleash their creativity and capture natural-looking footage. These new compact cameras will future-proof both video and still imagery, thanks to super 4K movie quality, for vloggers and photographers looking to upskill their videography capabilities. Frame rates up to 120fps in Full HD mode create a beautifully smooth slow-motion footage ideal for vloggers B-roll, while a vertical shooting mode produces footage purposefully designed for social media. Automatic settings are also available for movie capture in both the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and the PowerShot G7 X Mark III to produce balanced exposure and high image quality – ideal for those developing their skills and defining their style. Manual control of shutter speed, aperture and ISO are still available to offer video enthusiasts the opportunity to develop their technical skills.

Stay connected on the go

The compact nature and improved connectivity of these models makes them the perfect companion for vloggers and photographers on the go. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® connectivity allow users to capture spontaneous moments and send them to their computer, phone or social media instantly; while a live streaming function on the PowerShot G7 X Mark III enables vloggers the ability to share live content with their social media followers for real-time engagement. When connected to a compatible smart device, the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and the PowerShot G7 X Mark III can receive GPS coordinate information for images automatically, helping to simplify the process when tagging images on social media. A clean HDMI output for streaming and external recording, using the cameras in conjunction with an external device, simplifies production workflows for users of both cameras.

Pricing & Availability

The Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II is available to pre-order from 9th July 2019 and on sale in August 2019, with the following RSPs:

• PowerShot G5 X Mark II: £849.99/€999.99
    • PowerShot G5 X Mark II with Battery Kit: £899.99/€1,049.99

The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III is available to pre-order from 9th July 2019 and on sale in August 2019 with the following RSPs:

• PowerShot G7 X Mark III: £719.99/€849.99
    • PowerShot G7 X Mark III with Battery Kit: £769.99/€899.99

Combined Key Features of the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and the PowerShot G7 X Mark III:

• New 20.1MP 1.0-Type stacked sensor
    • DIGIC 8
    • 4K movie (no crop)
    • 120 fps Full HD movie
    • 20fps in continuous mode and 30ftp RAW Burst mode
    • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® connectivity
    • Jacket pocket size and weight

PowerShot G5 X Mark II Key Features:

• New 5x f/1.8-2.8 zoom lens
    • Pop-up EVF

PowerShot G7 X Mark III Key Features:

• 4.2x f/1.8-2.8 zoom lens
    • Live streaming
    • Microphone input
  • Self screen? Mic input? LIVE STREAMING?? ND Filter??

Good grief, has Canon finally done something right?? (for vloggers that is)

Am very tempted by this!

But as usual, I think I'll need to wait a couple of years for it to first of all show up cheap enough for me on eBay ;-)

But this is a first for me for seeing all of these features in one very compact vlogging camera!

sa9174.jpg
    800 x 392 - 56K
    sa9175.jpg
    800 x 571 - 75K
  • Quick Review of the Canon G7X Mark iii as a Video Camera

I received the camera, read the manual (which all the "influencers" with their videos at product introduction did not have (as it only became available today worldwide), and shot some video. Here is what I learned, the good:

1. Audio: Manual audio, with fine settings, plus options for a limiter and/or wind reduction. Audio meters; mic-in jack but yes, no headphone jack but meters do not lie.

2. 4K video: You can shoot 4K video with all manual settings, or with ISO auto, adjusting separately shutter and aperture and ev.

3. You can view a histogram in real time, but no zebras.

4. In auto ISO you can half press the shutter to get a readout of what the ISO actually is in real time. No other camera allows this (well, not any Panasonic or Sony camera, even mirrorless).

Output: In 'Standard' picture style the colors are nice, highlights are a little hot, but easy to tame in post.

1. The 4K bitrate is actually 123 Mbps, not the 100 Mbps in the specs - that is good.

2. Focus: You have the choice of servo (active) focus and there is an icon on the screen to turn it on and off. This is what I do - I select with my finger what I want to be in focus on the lcd, that puts the focus in tracking mode, so that if the subject moves focus follows. If the subject is static, sometimes a change in light causes the focus to shift, so for static subjects I turn off servo and the focus is then locked in place. So, focus is fine. You will see in the video how it does, with most shots using the servo (tracking) focus because the flowers were moving around in the wind.

3. There are three stabilizing modes: optical only, and two digital supplements ,which crop. My video only uses optical stabilization to maximize resolution. There is also a special stabilization for panning (why? so the stabilizer does not resist purposive movement up and down or left and right for pans)!

4. You can shoot 30p RAW video in 5.7K. Yes, real RAW video. For over 2 seconds at a time in RAW burst mode.

5. Built-in 3-stop ND filter - what a convenience!

Ok, here is a 30p 4K video I shot today in 'Standard' Picture style, with sharpness turned down one notch.

And here is the 4K from 5.7K RAW video:

The bad: It overheated after 45 minutes of shooting video. It was 90 F in direct hot sun, worst-case scenario.

Sorry, I didn't shoot any vertical videos or try a live vlog.